17 replies to this topic

#1 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

I've become fascinated with Revolution kites since inadvertently discovering them while browsing the wider range of kiting options. I mostly fly power-kites of the more lifty variety, the kind that only get really interesting as the winds approach and exceed 10mph, which means that on slow summer days I get to spend a lot of time looking at flat kites!

Consequently I'm looking for a Revolution with as wide a wind range as possible, but biased towards the lower end of the scale. I can probably only afford to buy one Rev (I said that about foils too, mind you), so I want to make sure I get the right one.....I was thinking of getting the B Series JB Pro (standard sail, no vents), with a race frame, 80ft - 90lb lines and the JB handles.

From what I can make out this will give me a wind range from about 3mph up into the mid teens.....at which point I'll be dangling from a foil anyway! I have to admit that the looks of the Pro kite have been a major influence on my thinking, I know that the regular B Series pack offers everything I need for about 100 less, but I just don't like the look of them.....The white centre panel looks a bit too much like a pair of boxer shorts to me!

Is this a mad plan or does it actually make any sense? Posted Image

TIA & All the best
Andy S.

#2 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've become fascinated with Revolution kites since inadvertently discovering them while browsing the wider range of kiting options. I mostly fly power-kites of the more lifty variety, the kind that only get really interesting as the winds approach and exceed 10mph, which means that on slow summer days I get to spend a lot of time looking at flat kites!

Consequently I'm looking for a Revolution with as wide a wind range as possible, but biased towards the lower end of the scale. I can probably only afford to buy one Rev (I said that about foils too, mind you), so I want to make sure I get the right one.....I was thinking of getting the B Series JB Pro (standard sail, no vents), with a race frame, 80ft - 90lb lines and the JB handles.

From what I can make out this will give me a wind range from about 3mph up into the mid teens.....at which point I'll be dangling from a foil anyway! I have to admit that the looks of the Pro kite have been a major influence on my thinking, I know that the regular B Series pack offers everything I need for about 100 less, but I just don't like the look of them.....The white centre panel looks a bit too much like a pair of boxer shorts to me!

Is this a mad plan or does it actually make any sense? Posted Image

TIA & All the best
Andy S.

It makes sense, but you're right you get more for your money with B package. One HEALTH WARNING though . . . . . . you may find your foils get dusty . . . . . 5 Rev's later mine have!!!

Welcome

:kid_devlish:
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#3 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

and an FYI...B Pros are running about 3 to 4 weeks from order time....

#4 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

My Revs may get more airtime, but my foils ain't getting dusty yet ... just this afternoon I had my Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9m out in winds exceeding 11mphPosted Image

I only needed to come 20 degrees down from the top of the window to do pendulam jumps which were made even more interesting with the occasional timed gust Posted Image

I love them both, but the Revs are less work (but more technical) physically. Now I have discovered the Blast that has elements of both world and I'm just in lovePosted Image . No jumping, but what a lovely grin factory of a machine.

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

The "B" pro is the top of the line by Rev!! You'll get plenty of practice on a regular "B"!! Plus, you'll get all the gear you'll need to upgrade later!! :kid_smartass: It'll come with extra frames, good handles, and good line!! Then when you're ready to go on, you'll be ready for the pro!! :kid_content:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thing is I'm fairly sure that even if I do buy the JB B Series Package I'd only go and buy a Pro later and then wind up leaving the B Series in the bag.....That's the bit that I really can't afford.

I'm unlikely to be picking up vented kites or needing stronger frames as, like kwmf I prefer to jump with my Blades and Begos when the winds get up.

So the way I see it, I might as well just buy a Pro in the first instance and cut out all the messing around. Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 05 September 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#7 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

That's the beauty of these kites - you can either jump in a little or all the way!! :kid_smartass: If you go with the "B" pro, don't forget to add handles and lines!! If your handles don't have leaders, get some bridle line and make your own!! That will cut back on the pull and give you more control!!! Whatever you get, it'll be more fun than you can believe!!:kid_devlish: Have fun!!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#8 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

Cheers! Posted Image

I was planning on getting the Pro kite along with 80' 90lb lines and a set of the JB handles as my 'starter package'.....Please could someone tell me, what length are the JB handles and am I correct in believing that they have pre-knotted leader lines attached?

I'm getting reasonably used to setting power kites up (I own an Ozone Haka after all) so I'm fairly confident that I should be OK to set up my Rev, assuming that I order all the right bits in the first place. I suspect a 'How to Fly Revs' DVD of some sort may well be on my xmas list!

I'm going to give myself plenty of time to think on all this and I may not place my order for a couple of months.....We've got winds of 17mph gusting to 36mph today and similar conditions for the next few days. Probably not ideal Rev weather, but it should be an awful lot of fun with my Mac Bego 200!

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 06 September 2010 - 06:36 AM.

#9 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

It makes sense, but you're right you get more for your money with B package. One HEALTH WARNING though . . . . . . you may find your foils get dusty . . . . . 5 Rev's later mine have!!!

Welcome

Posted Image

no dust on these foils!! I usually stake both rev and foil , fly the foil till I can't breath or hang on , park it and fly the rev till I'm ready to do it again, and again, and again, then it's dark and I start packing up, Hoping to do it again tomorrow Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image p.s. my B series, (second rev) is in the mail on it's way,cantwait!!! Posted ImageI think any decision with the rev is a good decison, good luck have fun!!!
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#10 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Cheers.....I've just been playing in the gusts with a 4.7m Pansh Flux prototype; very, very lively! Posted Image

How do Revs cope with gusts? Presumably the vented kites are better, but are these useable in lower winds? I'm not planning on using mine in gusty conditions if I can avoid it, but I live in the Midlands, so inland wind is my lot as a rule. Posted Image

TIA & All the best
Andy S.

#11 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

5m ace ,10m blaze here!! vented are better, do not know about vented in low wind YET!! GUSTY inland here also!!! which I fly every thing I got in !!!! cause gusty is all I got!! the EXP seems to hold up very well in these winds! maybe a little more sail stretch than I would like ,but flys well again and again , Iv'e got a b series on the way so I'll probably save it for a little smoother winds, and use the EXP for the gust when I cant resist !!! which is most often!!! I think I may be addicted!!! ya think?Posted Image
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#12 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

Cheers! Posted Image

.....Please could someone tell me, what length are the JB handles and am I correct in believing that they have pre-knotted leader lines attached?

All the best
Andy S.

Hello Andy,
The JB handles are 13" and come with knotted pigtails:

http://www.thekitesh...ndles-13"-.html

which reminds me I need to add a better picture of the JB 13" handles!

Have fun flying!
Theresa

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'm getting reasonably used to setting power kites up (I own an Ozone Haka after all) so I'm fairly confident that I should be OK to set up my Rev, assuming that I order all the right bits in the first place. I suspect a 'How to Fly Revs' DVD of some sort may well be on my xmas list!

If you have any concerns with learning, be sure to check out the various video tutorials ranging from basic setup to slack-line tricks. They are available for download from Kitelife with a subscription. Some are also available to watch on YouTube on kitelife's channel, and on my channel.

How do Revs cope with gusts? Presumably the vented kites are better, but are these useable in lower winds? I'm not planning on using mine in gusty conditions if I can avoid it, but I live in the Midlands, so inland wind is my lot as a rule. Posted Image

Revs do alright with gusts to a degree. If the wind suddenly changes directions, it may fall out of the sky, as will any kite. Vented revs do tend to smooth out the gusts, but if you are looking more in the lower wind range, this may not be the best choice. If you are experienced enough, you can fly a vented rev with race rods around 5 mph. I live in inland Washington state, and fly through a lot of gusting and swirling winds. The kite I use most is my full-sail B-Series with race rods. The race rods can handle a wider wind range than most if not all other rods, and can even be flown indoors. If the wind picks up enough that the kite may break, you will definitely notice. In which case, it is easy enough stake the kite down and pull out your foil.

One thing that I want to mention with the thought that you mainly fly power kites, is that the revs line setup is a tad different from a foil. I believe this is covered in one of the tutorials, but I will mention it here any way. While flying a rev, all four lines should remain reasonably taught. Your control comes from the bottom lines. A good rule of thumb is to set the top lines all the way out and try to launch upright. If you are unable to, pull the top lines back a knot and try a gain. Repeat this until you are able to launch consistently. This will maximize your ability to control the kite by keeping the sail filled, and adding sensitivity to the bottom lines.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

Cheers for the info & tips guys, they are much appreciated! Posted Image

I've been trawling YouTube for all things Rev related ever since I first discovered 'em on there.....There are some truly amazing pilots out there! Posted Image

I have my 3m Blade III set up with plenty of brakes so that I can fly it like a stunt-kite in lower winds, it was my first ever kite and it's still my favourite in many ways. I love the lift of my Bego 400 and the sheer grunt of the 4.9m Blade III is great fun as long as you don't take too many liberties with it. I'll probably only buy one more fixed-bridle foil; a matching Bego 600 (assuming I can find one in the right colour scheme) to complete the quiver as my ultimate low wind lift weapon.....If even that one won't pick me up, it will be a sure sign that it's Rev time! Posted Image

My next immediate project is taming my Bego 200 in lunatic Autumn winds.....The Bego's a high aspect ratio design and very quick through the air. If the little one lifts like it's bigger brother I'm going to be in for one hell of a ride as I'm fairly confident it wont have much float! Posted Image

Once I've got that mastered (and assuming I'm not in traction) I'll be looking at either the Frenzy or the Revolution as my next purchase. I'm after a very particular flavour of Frenzy and I'm looking to buy it second hand, so the chances are I'll be getting the Rev first. TBH I can't wait to get my paws on one and I've have had to restrain myself from making that final click a couple of times this month already! Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 06 September 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Hey Andy, just back from my holls in costa del New Forest and noticed your posts.

I live in the WR13 poscode so not too far from you and have a bag full of Revs that you are welcome to try out if you like.

Where do you fly?

#16 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hi Baloo.....Cheers for your kind offer! Posted Image

I mostly fly up at Perdiswell Sports Centre as it's very convenient for me, but I've been meaning to get over to the lush turf of EKS in Kempsey too.

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 06 September 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

Been to Perdiswell a couple of times. Not recently though.

Will get in touch and try to meet up some time if you like.

Cheers, Chris.

#18 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hi Chris,

That would be fantastic.....Cheers! Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.