#1 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi All,

I'm still a complete newbie to kiting having never really flown them prior to the beginning of this year, other than perhaps once or twice as a kid. Anyway I got into power-kites in quite a big way over the summer and in the course of the inevitable browsing, I discovered the Revolution.....I'm really struck with the precision and control that these kites offer and I've decided to get one for use on those low wind days when the power-kites just won't play nicely. My current quiver of kites is limited to fairly powerful small and medium sized fixed bridle-foils including Flexifoil Blade IIIs in 3m & 4.9m, Mac Bego 200 & 400 and a 5m Ozone Haka.....I'm planning on picking up a Bego 600 to complete my fixed-bridle foil collection and a 7.5m 2010 Ozone Frenzy to get me into depower kites.

So which Rev to best compliment my power-tools.....I've got some barmy ideas of my own, but I'm probably going to need some sensible advice. Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 28 November 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#2 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Had my first flight with a Rev this afternoon.....The Worcester mob hit Cleeve Common with a full on power-kite Blitz, but I spotted some fellows flying a Rev over the other side of the hill and couldn't resist taking a saunter over. The guy who owned the kite offered to let me have a go with it and I cetainly didn't turn down his generous offer.

The kite was the 1.5 EXP, apparently with a 4 wrap frame.....It was certainly very blowy up there and I didn't do terribly well with the kite, finding the controls very odd and slightly counterintuitive after my power-kites. After a while I managed to get the thing flying reasonably reliably for a minute or two at a time, but eventually I'd mess up in a gust and down the kite would come, usually on its leading edge.

I didn't fancy wrecking the guy's Rev and was quite relieved to hand it back to him apparently unharmed after about ten minutes. Not a perfect introduction to Rev flying then, but it hasn't put me off one bit and now at least I know a little more about what I'm letting myself in for.....I suspect I'll be doing my own Rev practice in rather gentler winds though!

FWIW & All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 12 September 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Revs!! :kid_smartass: Now that you've felt and handled one, you'll be back for more!! There's so much to learn!! The control they offer is beyond anything you've tried before! If you can, try a vented kite in those higher winds, or try the full sail in lower winds, you're ability to control things will be much easier!! There's a lot of options to choose from, figure out when you want to use one and pick something that will handle that wind range. You won't be sorry!! :kid_devlish:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

My current quiver of kites is limited to fairly powerful small and medium sized fixed bridle-foils including Flexifoil Blade IIIs in 3m & 4.9m, Mac Bego 200 & 400 and a 5m Ozone Haka.....I'm planning on picking up a Bego 600 to complete my fixed-bridle foil collection and a 7.5m 2010 Ozone Frenzy to get me into depower kites.

So which Rev to best compliment my power-tools.....I've got some barmy ideas of my own, but I'm probably going to need some sensible advice. Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.

Andy,
Judging from your current list of kites it looks like you've no shortage of funds. None the less, the JB Pro you linked to is an investment. For not a whole lot more than buying one Pro, you could buy three (full sail, mid vent, and full vent) matching factory B series Revs. That, and some 120' LPG line in place of one of the 80' sets that would come with your new kites, and perhaps something even shorter (40'?) in place of another set, would have you up and running for a huge variety of weather and locations.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hi again Andy, typical I say you can try my Revs and now I am working pretty much solid through towards the end of the Month.

Glad you had a chance to try one out though.

I will get back in touch when things ease up with work a bit and with any luck we can meet up.

Cheers, Chris.

#6 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi Andy

You know my power kite background .... the biggest thing for my brain to initially wrap around was that I needed to fly from the wrists and not with my arms. That most certainly changes later and your arms get very involve, but not so much for steering. Depending on how your brain processes and learns new information, you may find it useful let your hands sit in a nice low comfy position and 'lock' them there and use only your wrists to fly and steer in forwards.

Once I got it into my head that I turn from the wrists and not the arms like a power kite, it was easy to progress from there. It didn't take me long to lock the concept in my head and when I did get under pressure and revert back to arms I knew I was making the mistake. It may also help to make your rev turns using the same motion as your brake turns from your power kiting - this will put a bit of a side slide onto your turns, but may prove to be an easier transition for you.

As for which Rev ....
I got the SLE originally, then got a 4 wrap frame, and very soon after that got a B series. Now I have full sail and full vent B series for my regular flying with the SLE now doing beach flying and beginner training. My B series full sails carry either race rods or 3 wrap frames and my vented runs race rods, 3 wrap or 4 wrap frames.

If you can afford it, go for the B series - it's a much better investment. If you can't, then go with the SLE, many people started there and many seem to fly them with complete satisfaction alongside the B series. I have flown my B back to back with my SLE with the same frame, line, etc and there is a noticable difference in the experience in favour of the B series. As someone who is still learning many things on the Rev, my SLE will make me pay for less than precise inputs MUCH sooner than the B, which will threaten to make me pay, but is smooth enough to fly through it.

That's just my experience coming from a power background into the world of Rev and what I have experienced .... your mileage and conditions may vary Posted Image

Steven

#7 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

Cheers for your advice guys, it is always appreciated!

I'm not intending to ever fly Revs in anything much higher than 10mph wind.....At that point my power-kites start to 'switch on' and provide me with the physical challenge that I need and enjoy. Thus my aim for my Rev is primarily to have something that will fly well in low wind conditions, if it has a wider wind range all the better, but it's the 3mph to 10mph window that I'm really hoping to fill.

I have to say that I didn't actually much enjoy flying the Rev in the blowy conditions on Cleeve Common.....The various power-kites that we had up there were far better suited to the conditions and were much more fun to fly on the day. The (unvented) Rev looked rather unstable and slightly out of control, even in the hands of its owner and I have to say that I now have no desire whatsoever for a Rev with high wind capabilities, except perhaps for a Blast 2~4 or 4~8.

I had considered picking up an EXP in the shorter term to practice my Rev flying skills in advance of the Pro, but I really can't justify it as generally the wind conditions at the moment are pretty damned good for power kites.....I doubt that it would actually come out of the bag very often before the new year and by then I'll easily be able to afford my Pro (assuming I haven't already bought a Bego 600 or a 7.5m Frenzy of course).

Baloo.....Many thanks again for your kind offer, I'd be very glad to take you up on it whenever you have the time to spare. Hope work isn't getting you down too much!

Cheers & all the best
Andy S.

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

I thought exactly the same about Revs (lower wind) when I got them .... I'm 8 revs deep in almost every configuration. They make a nice wind down after a physical session with your foils as well, thats how my girlfriend got into them - after her power sessions.

Once you get the hang of them, you're in for a bit of a ride ;)

#9 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

I really didn't like the feel of the Rev in strong winds, it felt insubstantial and unpredictable, not my cup of tea at all.....I'm sure a vented kite might have been a bit easier to control, but a 3m Blade III was both far easier to control and I'm afraid to say a lot closer to my idea of fun.

All the best
Andy S.

#10 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

OK, reality (and being a bit skint) has begun to set in, I've come to the conclusion that a Pro is just too big and too costly a step for a first kite, no matter how I try to justify it to myself (or anyone else). :blue-confused:

I'm beginning to feel that a B-Series is probably the wiser bet after all.....I just wish there was a 'black-centre' version of the regular B-Series, preferably in gold! ;)

All the best
Andy S.

Attached Thumbnails

• Full-Sail.jpg
  • Full-Vent.jpg

#11 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Call Ben or Lolly, they make wishes come true...........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

I would agree, worth getting in touch with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users