8 replies to this topic

#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Well the wind was too much for my Zen, but they were plenty good for the Blast .... Posted Image

Unfortunately I cannot think of a PG-13 version to explain the Blast, so lets just say that it's Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Not sure how much of good idea it is for a first Rev, but this was one of the most fun sessions I've had with a Rev ... PERIOD. The float is mental, the noise is a pure growl and the dive stop is both jaw dropping and occasionally shoulder wrenching.

Best I can tell this thing wants you to carry the momentum from one thing into the next and if you fail to do so it will bog down and start to stall. I can see how the precision is some way off from the 1.5 series, but man will this thing put on a show and be a real hoot to fly. Doesn't seem like it will team fly too nicely, but I'll see what I can squeeze out of this bad boy after some decent time on the handles.

If you own a Rev and you want a massively good time, this thing is the way to go. One of the guys I fly with has had less than zero interest in a Rev of any kind until I flew the Blast for the first time today. I think if he could have paid me then and there he would have tried to buy mine.

This looks like it's going to be my fun machine and the 1.5's are going to be my team and precision machines.

If you don't have a Blast, go get one now!!!!!

#2 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

I agree, the blast is a hoot to fly.
Before yesterday I thought it was not a good flyer.
I had ChuckW give it a try, and he showed what good controll can do.
Then we handed it over to JB, well he showed me how good a flyer it really is.
I also recomend having a Rev2 in the collection. Its also a high wind hoot.

Ken

#3 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Out of interest, what setup did ChuckW and JB fly it on?
(differential in handle leaders, down bridle on/of, which lower attachment, wind speed, line set, etc)

I'm going to need a 200# or 300# line set for this thing ASAP. Posted Image

#4 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

We were using standard rev handles with the brake line on the handle set at outer knot ( 2 inches approx ) and LE line set at middle knot. (4-5 inches)
Not using the down bridle. Of the 2 lower knots on the trailing edge, we were using the outer one. We guestimated the wind speed at about 10-15mph. And the line was 90lb LPG at 120 feet. I do have some race rods for it, but switched to the standard SLE rods because the race rods were causing the kite to flap like a bird.

Ken

#5 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

Now that you've tried a standard one, just wait until you get your hands on a 2-4!

Tak and I were moderate beginners with 1.5's and had a chance to fly a friend's supersonic in probably too much wind for our own good, and all we could manage was that "this thing flies like a boat!" That was a couple summers ago, and now the 2-4 is my favorite but unfortunately not my most frequently flown. Newest kite to the bag but definitely some of the best experiences.

Keeping in mind that I'm pretty scrawny, but I normally use 150lb LPG and have been known to use 90lb LPG to go out skiing in the winter. I've used a pair of blast handles, as well as flown the standard on regular handles. I don't notice the difference in the angle of the handles so much while flying, but where they are gripped compared to a 1.5.

The concept of flying any of the blasts in a light wind, less than 5, is a foreign subject to us. Maybe someone can chime in on the joys that mylar creates in little wind?

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#6 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

@flyinken
Interesting that you guys were flying with a mere 2-3 inch differential when the 1.5's are normally flown with a 6 inch or more differential. When I flew the Blast I just picked a fairly mild setting on the leaders I put on the Blast handles and just went for it. I didn't fiddle with it because I wanted to get a sense of how it flew and I wasn't having any difficulty flying it, so I didn't feel the need to adjust just yet. Now I have a reference point that should be good to compare against and can start to dial it in for myself. I had done my homework a long time ago and was flying outside lower bridle and no down bridal as well.

@SynTaks
I'm intentially staying clear of the Power series from Revolution because I fly power kites as well .... thats actually where I started. I think that if I get a power Rev then I'm going to end up comparing it to a power kite and end up disapointed. Keep in mind that most of my power flying is static recreational flying (no board or buggy) with either a Flexifoil Rage 3.5m or Blade IV 4.9m, so I'm fairly well versed in some pretty impressive power. I chose the Blast more for the speed aspect (as well as side sliding and floats), it's just that the touch of power it provides now and then turned out to be a really nice touch on top of things. I don't go looking for the power at all with the Blast, but that extra surge while executing certain things is like a cherry on top and really adds to the fun of this kite for me ... a very pleasant unexpected surprise. My only problem now is that I will have to get stronger lines since the strongest I have for my Revs are 150# LPG. I may just throw on my Flexifoil lines in the meantime when the winds are above 12mph or so.

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

I power kite as well as buggy and board. I think that the Power Blast 2-4 will impress you a ton! Think of it as the same power of your Blade 4.9 but nearly 3 times as fast. :) :) :) The PB series is much more technical than the foils and do require a lot more skill to fly but once you get them dialed in they are awesome. Flying static is not the best for the PB series kites as they really excel once you get them on a buggy or board. The 2-4 is awesome....the 4-8 is just mind blowing and will not only fly circles around your Blade 4.9, but will pull nearly twice as much.

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi Kent

If I had a nice location to buggy, that's what I would probably be doing most of the time. I've played with a friends buggy on the beach at night and at low tide amongst the people and I really enjoy it.

Its because I fly mostly static that I've stayed away from the power series. I have no doubt I'd enjoy it if I did buggy or board.

The Blast has touches of power to make it exciting, but not so much that it overwhelms the experience.

Like I said, my only problem is now I need stronger lines - I may have to run my flexifoil lines in the mean time when my 150# is not enough. This is not a bad problem to have though ;)

Steven

#9 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

@SynTaks
I'm intentially staying clear of the Power series from Revolution because I fly power kites as well .... thats actually where I started. I think that if I get a power Rev then I'm going to end up comparing it to a power kite and end up disapointed. Keep in mind that most of my power flying is static recreational flying (no board or buggy) with either a Flexifoil Rage 3.5m or Blade IV 4.9m, so I'm fairly well versed in some pretty impressive power. I chose the Blast more for the speed aspect (as well as side sliding and floats), it's just that the touch of power it provides now and then turned out to be a really nice touch on top of things. I don't go looking for the power at all with the Blast, but that extra surge while executing certain things is like a cherry on top and really adds to the fun of this kite for me ... a very pleasant unexpected surprise. My only problem now is that I will have to get stronger lines since the strongest I have for my Revs are 150# LPG. I may just throw on my Flexifoil lines in the meantime when the winds are above 12mph or so.

If you fly static and want to play with speed and power, grab a 2/4 blast. You will be amazed once you figure out the handling tricks to it at how much pull it does have. And there is much more control than a quad or dual foil. I weigh 250 lbs and the 2/4 has NO problem pulling me at all. When Syn (maybe 120lbs after a big meal) gets onnit, it's a "blast" to watch her try to stand still flying it even in a lighter wind.

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users