rubber grommets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hope4wind

Hope4wind
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

When I switched my SLE over to a 1/4" 3 wrap leading edge, the rubber washers on the ends fell off after flying it for a while. I must not have put them on correctly.

Are these neccassary?

I have noticed that my bridle is getting a bit worn at the end cap areas. Is that due to not having the rubber washers?

What is the proper way to install them?

Thanks!!!

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

When I switched my SLE over to a 1/4" 3 wrap leading edge, the rubber washers on the ends fell off after flying it for a while. I must not have put them on correctly.

Are these neccassary?

I have noticed that my bridle is getting a bit worn at the end cap areas. Is that due to not having the rubber washers?

What is the proper way to install them?

Thanks!!!

When you swap out the SLE rod with the 1/4" rod, it does not matter whether the large rubber washers are on the end caps. However if you put the SLE rod back in, you must have them installed on the end cap. Otherwise you could cut the bridle and the bungees.
Repeat: The SLE rod will definitely cut the bungee and bridle without the washer installed on the end caps.
The bridle wear at the end caps is usually the result of some type of abrasion. If you drag the wing tips across a hard surface such as concrete or asphalt it will wear the end cap quickly. If your bridle so happens to get in the way, then it will be cut too.
Installing: The large washer slides over the rod opening end of the end cap, pushed up snug against the bridle and bungee.
You can get spare washers at kite shops that sell Revolution kites or you could take a sample with you to your local hardware store and look through the rubber washers that they sell until you find one. I have even used doubled up "O"rings(meaning one large "O Ring" double over).

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

These are only important on the SLE, and are VERY easy to instal. Basically, just put them on the endcap under the bridal. Not too complicated.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

i go therught them on my speed series kites i always find the rings almost slide off the endcaps i do wonder whay the ringd stretch so bad if the kite is built for heavy winds my blast has never done this just my supersonics
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

The closest kite shop being 40 miles away, I made some using 5/16 fuel hose from the local NAPA store. I used a single edge razor blade to slice the hose. It is re-enforced with woven cloth so it doesn't stretch. A buck's worth of hose will make all the washers you will ever need.

Jim ;)
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#6 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

The closest kite shop being 40 miles away, I made some using 5/16 fuel hose from the local NAPA store. I used a single edge razor blade to slice the hose. It is re-enforced with woven cloth so it doesn't stretch. A buck's worth of hose will make all the washers you will ever need.

Jim ;)

Smart thinking Jim ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users