138 replies to this topic

#101 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, I'd much rather walk the entire wooden boardwalk to get back there then slog along in that deep sand from field C.

I can't see them giving up B as they use it for ascensions and comp stuff, but, we shall see!

As for everything else, ya, what JB said :D

My wife and I were in the Mass Ascensions. We never used B.
I do know they used B for dual comps.
They should and could easily move the Revs to B. The committee and the festival both win with Revs in Field B.

#102 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

Honestly, I'd much rather walk the entire wooden boardwalk to get back there then slog along in that deep sand from field C.

I can't see them giving up B as they use it for ascensions and comp stuff, but, we shall see!

As for everything else, ya, what JB said :D

The four Mass Ascensions they have every year for the four different styles of kites are on A. The Cody Fly, scheduled for B, ended up on A where it has always been. The competitions on B were short and poorly attended. Those events could be moved to C, or if they must use B, they could be scheduled in the middle of the day and the Rev fliers could take a brake for lunch, more sun screen and use the little brown buildings.

Big kites on the north of Bolstad, field A with demos, comps and Mass Ascensions, and field B with the sky full of Revs all week would be a spectacular spectator attraction, and wonderful for the vendors, who work their butts off and can certainly use the business. Spreading an event, which seems to get smaller each year, out down the beach makes no sense to me. For me, it's all about kites in the sky, and giving spectators and potential new fliers a really big show.

I really don't have much faith that this will happen. I hope I am wrong.

But, no matter how it goes, we have already made our reservations for next year and plan to fly something, somewhere, all day, every day, just as always.

Cheers, Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#103 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

I had a great time. Scotty was wore out by Wednesday night, and was so happy to be back home. I got involved in the mass ascensions, and got all four pins. Next year I hope to have a banner made so I get into the parade of colors. It would be real neat if we could get B, but I'm not going to hold my breath...... :sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#104 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm definitely for moving to "B"!!! No matter where I parked, it was a long ways to "C"!! Keeping it in "C" would work if they had ATVs ferrying people from the main area to the flying field and back!! What a ways to go to use a restroom!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#105 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

SERIOUS congratulations to everyone who was on the Rev field this past week...

We only did a couple of grid flies (one 16 and one 36), but what I DID see was three or four folks leading teams who hadn't really been in that position before!

<snip>

If we can't get field B, I think I'll be moving us back down to the south end... I know this isn't ideal for some (especially competitors and folks who do other parts of the event), but I'm looking at the big picture here.

I'll keep you posted on this after I have some meetings with the organizers. ;)

Interesting to hear of the developments at Long Beach.

I just spotted the Kymeras video and note that you are pulling lines back past thigh level <grins>

Felix

#106 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Spoiler alert - grouchy old man casting cold water....

I walked by the spectators above field A and watched some Rev team flying demo in field A. The spectators may have been oohing and aahing, but they really only saw the kites from the side. The patterns of flight were essentially invisible to them, unless they had fantastic depth perception and could mentally reconstruct the face-on view from the few clues available from the side view.

This probably applies to all flying in field A with a N or NNW wind, such as we had most the week. But it particularly applies to teams of Revs (IMO).

Flying in field B would work better with N and NNW winds, but not much better with NW or W winds.

Where we were last year, below Sid Snyder drive, the spectators were basically directly behind us - and could see the formations well. And, if the wind was not N ... NW, then they could move around for a better view. And walking the length of the board walk or the paved path is easier than the soft-sand beach to get up to the other fields or the concession area.

Rules of thumb about beach wind conditions (based on very few years of observation):
- Winter: cra**y winds from the E to NE
- Other: SW winds, here comes moist wet weather from Hawaii.
- N, NW expected with the nice weather we had this year.

Just my rusty two cents and one vote for Sid S drive.

(Trivia - what year were cents issued that could become rusty, and why? :P)
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#107 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Spoiler alert - grouchy old man casting cold water....

I walked by the spectators above field A and watched some Rev team flying demo in field A. The spectators may have been oohing and aahing, but they really only saw the kites from the side. The patterns of flight were essentially invisible to them, unless they had fantastic depth perception and could mentally reconstruct the face-on view from the few clues available from the side view.

I noticed the same thing but my take on it was that those people were idiots. I guess I'm not as nice a person as you. There were at least as many people watching from the adjacent (upwind) side of the demo field. If the show is worth watching people will cross the sand for it. By the time we landed the 36 kite grid there was a crowd behind us of folks who had to have walked all the way past field B and out onto the beach a ways to get where they were. I don't think the viewing angle so much as the proximity to everything else, and enough room to fly, is important. That's my opinion.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#108 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

(Trivia - what year were cents issued that could become rusty, and why? :P)

1943, they were made of steel.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#109 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

-Alden

Beat me to it. Didn't know exact year, though. wartime.

Field B would ROCK. Sid Snyder approach better than C. Field C does not rock. And then at least we could have sound again, that was really nice last year. Walking the whole boardwalk would be preferable to slogging through the sand. Bathrooms much closer. Lots of space.

If we could get B, I would be fine with vacating it for a few hours here and there for this and that. Would be much nicer to have it all the time, but I think it would be worth it. Seems like dual comps and what-not could certainly be accommodated in C. Didn't see many spectators for those events, just a handful. Really, Field B was barely used. Do we need a pen and paper campaign? To whom do we direct our letters? I've got parents, in-laws, and friends who attended (ie non-rev flyers) at the ready with pens in hand. Having the revs up close would make for a much livelier festival for non-kiters. Always something happening on the rev field.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#110 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

-Alden

The government needed the copper for the war effort.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#111 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Found this. Stay tuned till :47 :clap;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYD32BI4BE"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3QYD32BI4BE[/url]

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#112 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

-Alden

They were all steel with a zinc coating. There were a tiny few accidentally(maybe on purpose) pressed on copper of which are very valuable.
1943 was the only year steel pennies were pressed. However, a tiny few accidentally(maybe on purpose)were pressed on steel. These if they are genuine, you would be looking at probably six figure dollar value when from San Francisco mint.
I had some rolls of used 1943 steel pennies from all three mints but parted with them about five years ago. I also parted with a few uncirculated 1943 steel pennies at the same time. I never had any of real valuable ones.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#113 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

HEY, I recognize those guys flying REVS !!!!! Posted Image What a great time!!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#114 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

HA HA!!!! I was Mentioned in the Vid!!!! At least I'm pretty sure I'm the only one from Montana that showed up.
Awesome!
KL# 881
RG# 558

#115 rmesm

rmesm
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hey Katrina, Cool video!! Thanks for posting!!!
Mark
Posted Image

#116 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hey Katrina, Cool video!! Thanks for posting!!!
Mark

And, Katrina, thanks for leading a group for us experience-challenged.

Well, not all of us, but some of us needed some basic exercises! :P
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#117 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

And, Katrina, thanks for leading a group for us experience-challenged.
Well, not all of us, but some of us needed some basic exercises! :P

Surely you aren't refering to yourself, Howard? You underestimate your skill.

Bart and I did rock paper scissors for the leader position, and I lost. :blue_wink: But hey, it was actually fun! I'll try to get better at it by next year.

Go Team Free Agents!!! :rainbowwave: (Formerly known as the misfits)

#118 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Katrina will make a great captain! I don't know if I would so much in these groups as I tend to over think it.

Bart

#119 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'll drive if you'll navigate.

#120 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

A completely new way of doing things it would seem.

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users