"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#42 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi all, first time on the forum. My wife and I plan to attend the festival for the first time this year. What suggestions do you have for lodging. Definitely want to reserve a room soon.
Looking forward to a great festival.

For anyone still looking, yes you will find that everything is booked. But there's still hope! Reserve something, anything, even if it's in another city. Or be prepared with camping gear. But keep calling, all the way to the last minute. Yes people do reserve a whole year in advance. But when you get down to the last minute, there will be cancellations. Ask if they'll take your name and call you if there's a cancellation. I have found last minute Fri-Sat rooms for my parents at the Super 8 and Cedars Oceanview, both right by the Bolstad approach. And once we arrived to find the room we'd booked reeked of pee. We thought we'd have to stay miles away, but we ended up at "Our place at the beach" by the Sid Snyder approach.

WSIKF FAQ for those who've never been:

The main festival happens at the end of the Bolstad approach. The rev field will be nearby. There is a really nice boardwalk connecting this to the Sid Snyder approach, if you stay or park towards that that end.

Parking: No matter where you stay or park, you'll be walking at least a little ways to the beach. There are gravel lots not far from the beach, get there early in the morning to get a spot. You will see cars parked down on the beach--these belong to the big kite fliers who have cars and trailers full of kites. They have permits.

Weather: It's the beach in August, but it can be cold. It could rain. Bring warm clothes. If you are Bart, bring a parka. But also lots of sunscreen and a sun hat.

Food: The Bolstad approach will be full of all sorts of vendors.

Gear: Most know this, but maybe not everyone: It will be very helpful to have 120' 90 lb line. This is the standard for group flying. Even if you don't expect to fly "team" or "grid" this time out, it's nice to have. If we all have the same length lines, it's a lot easier to share the same space. But if you are a rank beginner who wants space, there's plenty of beach if you just walk a ways. Theresa (thekiteshoppe) will be there selling lines, of course. And rods, too. If there's anything else you know you'll be wanting, like maybe a whole kite, you might want to give her a call before the festival so she can bring whatever it is out with her.

See you there! I'll be there all week, including the 13th and 14th. If anyone else will be around that early, look for me at the Sid Snyder appoach. Unless I spy revs at the Bolstad, then I'll head over there. Lonely already.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Now that I know how the weather can be and how it can change I will be better prepared and probably not need a parka (that was very good - witty and last year so true), but will have more appropriate layers to take off and put on as the weather changes.

We'll be there on the 14th probably mid afternoon and staying all week leaving the Monday after the festival. I suspect we will also get to the beach once settled.

I see there is a Rev field much closer to the action this year. I'm not sure the size of it, but probably amble and like mentioned there is a ton of space to wander off too if one so desires. I'm really looking forward to hooking up with friends from last year and making new ones this year! Counting the days now!

Bart

#44 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

If anyone is passing thru portland on wedsnesday the 17th around 1pm and wants to stop by PDX to pick up 2 Riders (pun intended) to share the trip to Long Beach we would be grateful!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#45 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

With us too Terry. Melanie, Laurel, me and Toby the dog.

And what day do you arrive??? Sunday? :)

#46 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

The wife and I will be there with Scotty Saturday, and will be there all week. If anyone is looking for a place to stay, and real close to the main action, I know someone you could ask...... :ani_whistling:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#47 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hey T.
Is the AOK having another potluck?

Ken

#48 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:42 AM

And what day do you arrive??? Sunday? Posted Image

Wishful thinking T. We should get to Long Beach around 11pm or so Wednesday night. What's the address where we camped last year, so we can find it without a guide? I only got to and from riding in the back seat while Mario drove.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#49 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

Hey T.
Is the AOK having another potluck?

Ken

Absolutely!

AOK is Thursday night 6pm in Ilwaco!

(Associated Oregon Kiters) Lots of great food and LOTS of bag raffle items! Hmmmmm.... I'm guessing there will be a new chef on the BBQ?

#50 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

Wishful thinking T. We should get to Long Beach around 11pm or so Wednesday night. What's the address where we camped last year, so we can find it without a guide? I only got to and from riding in the back seat while Mario drove.

OK! Wednesday! I will send you a PM with the address :)

Glad to help out!!

See you in a couple weeks!

T

#51 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Good News, and bad news...
Good: I talked to management today. Since the contract that we had that was supposed to bring in aircraft in Aug. pulled out of, they are willing to let me take a little extra time off to come to WSIKF!!!
Bad: Last trip out to Portland put me in the hole with my funding. And there are rumors of paycuts coming at work, which will make recuperating money after all these trips even harder.

So I can go, but I might not be able to go. I have one more payday between now and then, hopefully I'll able to save enough money out of it to drive out there.

If I come, I'll be headed out of town on Wed, getting there on Thrus. Someone had sent me a PM offering to let me share their campsite with them, if you could please PM me again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope to see you all there!!!!
KL# 881
RG# 558

#52 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Good News, and bad news...
Good: I talked to management today. Since the contract that we had that was supposed to bring in aircraft in Aug. pulled out of, they are willing to let me take a little extra time off to come to WSIKF!!!
Bad: Last trip out to Portland put me in the hole with my funding. And there are rumors of paycuts coming at work, which will make recuperating money after all these trips even harder.

So I can go, but I might not be able to go. I have one more payday between now and then, hopefully I'll able to save enough money out of it to drive out there.

If I come, I'll be headed out of town on Wed, getting there on Thrus. Someone had sent me a PM offering to let me share their campsite with them, if you could please PM me again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope to see you all there!!!!

Yes...good news and not so good news!

I will e-mail the campsite info to you :)

Or...better yet....when you get to Long Beach....I'll make sure you know how to get there. I should have shown you on the map, when you were here last weekend!

Hope it all works out!
Hugs,
t

#53 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Can't wait!

#54 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

It would be great to see you there exile. Sorry it's such a long trip for you, esp with gas so $$$. It will be worth the ketchup sandwiches, if you can manage it.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#55 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

Unrelated, but does anyone have a copy of the DVD that comes with the b-Series package?

I had a copy and can't find it. I'd like to get another for a local guy here who is showing major interest in flying these birds.

If anyone has a spare they could bring along to part with I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bart

#56 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Unrelated, but does anyone have a copy of the DVD that comes with the b-Series package?

I had a copy and can't find it. I'd like to get another for a local guy here who is showing major interest in flying these birds.

If anyone has a spare they could bring along to part with I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bart

Hi Bart,

I will have some with me at Long Beach :)

#57 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Boy that was almost an instant service! I barely got off the page.

Thanks. I'll grab one from you if I haven't found mine by then.

Bart

#58 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Boy that was almost an instant service! I barely got off the page.
Bart

That's because when you speak Bart, people listen!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#59 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Bart F. Hutton! :kid_smartass:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#60 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

If that's the case it must be specific to here 'cause it sure doesn't work around the office that way! Posted Image

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users