• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 windwizard2

windwizard2
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Me, I'm going!!!!

Hi all, first time on the forum. My wife and I plan to attend the festival for the first time this year. What suggestions do you have for lodging. Definitely want to reserve a room soon.
Looking forward to a great festival.

#22 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi all, first time on the forum. My wife and I plan to attend the festival for the first time this year. What suggestions do you have for lodging. Definitely want to reserve a room soon.
Looking forward to a great festival.

Well, I've never been there myself . . . . but there's always a 1st time (for me as well), thanks to frequent flyer miles.

I ended up using vrbo.com. Afterwards, I found this site, which has links to lodging for the area: http://www.funbeach.com/

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#23 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

The wife and I are looking at a nearby hotel with two beds, we may be able to book it and offer the second bed as a way to share costs. It would be available the whole week, (Sunday night to the following Saturday night, checkout Sunday morning) It is at a pet friendly hotel, and we will have Scotty, our Wheaton Scottish Terrier with us. He is a good puppy, and generally not too barky, but he will alert on people outside the room door on occasion. If you are OK with a dog in the room, PM me, the wife would love to know if anyone is interested.........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#24 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

The wife and I are looking at a nearby hotel with two beds, we may be able to book it and offer the second bed as a way to share costs. It would be available the whole week, (Sunday night to the following Saturday night, checkout Sunday morning) It is at a pet friendly hotel, and we will have Scotty, our Wheaton Scottish Terrier with us. He is a good puppy, and generally not too barky, but he will alert on people outside the room door on occasion. If you are OK with a dog in the room, PM me, the wife would love to know if anyone is interested.........

PM sent
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#25 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

I still have the bed available, if anyone is interested. I have booked a room for the entire week, the hotel is on the Bolstad Approch within a very short walk of the festival. PM me for more info.........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#26 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Just because I think it would be Something nice to see. Is it possible to create a member update-able list of those that are planning on attending this WSIKF?? That way, anyone wanting to know who else on the Forum that is attending, can just hit the list, as easily see, instead of having to read through pages of threads to find out.. Just a thought.. I don't know how much is possible in forum page design, as I have never managed a forum website before.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#27 FlyEmAll

FlyEmAll
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

Definitely a must to set your reservations early. Where we stay has only 9 rooms on 3 floors and books fast, so we set ours usually as we're checking out the previous year. Last year was great for us with the quad field being on our end. Would've been better if I knew how to fly then, so this year... here I come Posted Image!

Hope to see a lot of you there.

#28 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

Ah, but half the fun is reading the threads. Just kidding. I think it's a good idea, but maybe a lot of work for the mods as I think you can only edit your own posts. Maybe if there was an "official" thread for each festival, and then anyone attending could post just a short RSVP. I think you'd still need someone moderating to turn the replies into a concise list at the beginning or end of the thread - kind of like the global rev count thread that everyone posts to and is periodically totaled by one of the moderators.

So, is it a sign that you have an addiction if you just started flying revs last August . . . and this year you make plans to go to WSIKF on the chance that you'll get to fly in a Mega fly and meet & fly with tons of other Rev flyers? No, not at all. No addiction here . . . mid life crisis, on the other hand, maybe.If this is how it manifests, well, I can live with the cost of kites. A lot less expensive than some of the alternative manifestations . . .

#29 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

I can live with the cost of kites. A lot less expensive than some of the alternative manifestations . . .

Like Flight school, sky diving, paragliding and hang gliding, motorcycles, SCUBA diving, Photography, travel, guns, archery (mind you, the bow that I want is $1,400.USD) or stunt driving school, or even racing. Oooooh... tuners, and drifting.. fun!!

Random question, will they permit camping out on the beach during this event? If I can make it, a hotel will be out of the question.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#30 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

No camping on the beach, but there is camping nearby (check out "Wildwoods Campground")... Also, folks may be willing to share a room or campsite if you inquire here. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#31 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Like Flight school, sky diving, paragliding and hang gliding, motorcycles, SCUBA diving, Photography, travel, guns, archery (mind you, the bow that I want is $1,400.USD) or stunt driving school, or even racing. Oooooh... tuners, and drifting.. fun!!

For a guy who looks like he's not even close to a midlife crisis yet . . . . you have a lot of expensive hobbies. Of course, "expensive" is always relative . . . and kite flying is low cost . . . once the bag is full (the bag is never full). You didn't even mention the hawks. When do you find time for work?

#32 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

Random question, will they permit camping out on the beach during this event? If I can make it, a hotel will be out of the question.

Exile
We are camping a few minutes away from the beach pm me and we can talk .
Cheers
Terry
ISLAND QUAD
Posted Image

#33 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

There is a good chance I won't be there. Travel plans are quickly unraveling up here. And by unravel I mean falling apart around my ears.

I'm looking at other options, but at this stage of the game it is tough to come up with an affordable alternative to the travel and I won't make a 22 hour drive alone.

Bart

#34 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

There is a good chance I won't be there. Travel plans are quickly unraveling up here. And by unravel I mean falling apart around my ears.

I'm looking at other options, but at this stage of the game it is tough to come up with an affordable alternative to the travel and I won't make a 22 hour drive alone.

Bart

I hope that something turns up for you.

22 hours is extreme.

I just did 5 hours to Sunderland. Quite enough for a Friday evening after work...

Felix

#35 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

For a guy who looks like he's not even close to a midlife crisis yet . . . . you have a lot of expensive hobbies. Of course, "expensive" is always relative . . . and kite flying is low cost . . . once the bag is full (the bag is never full). You didn't even mention the hawks. When do you find time for work?

Define "Midlife." No one ever really knows when there times has come. So really, the term is quite relative. As for the Crisis... not so much....... right now anyway. These things are just a few things that I REALLY WISH I could partake in, that due to their extreme expense, I can't afford to do. My Crisis, it if doesn't include a Ferrari, or quitting my job, dropping of the face of the earth, and moving out into the mountains someplace.

Exile
Cheers
Terry
ISLAND QUAD

Awesome!! I'll be in touch then. Thank you very much!

Bart

What rout do you normally take?? If I'm able to go, and you go through my area, I would ride with you.
KL# 881
RG# 558

#36 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Bart

ahhhhhhh Bart .... It would be a shame not to see at Long Beach. I do hope you can work something out , are Paul and candice coming ???
I get long drive thing ... we were in LIncoln City Last weekend 91/2 hrs including ferries and customs . I can't wait for teleportation.
Keep my fingers crossed that we get to fly together
Terry
ISLAND QUAD
Posted Image

#37 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Such wusses! I routinely do 30-35 hour drives (well, once a year or so). I choose my time so that the end of the drive is at a time when I am normally awake and alert.

I can see that it is time for me to show up unexpectedly at some far-off venue.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#38 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Such wusses! I routinely do 30-35 hour drives (well, once a year or so). I choose my time so that the end of the drive is at a time when I am normally awake and alert.

I can see that it is time for me to show up unexpectedly at some far-off venue.

Okay, pick me up along the way over!

I can't even stand 2 hour drives anymore when I'm doing the driving.

Bart

#39 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:10 AM

Okay, pick me up along the way over!

I can't even stand 2 hour drives anymore when I'm doing the driving.

Bart

I'll keep you in mind. It would probably be short notice, though.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#40 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Exile
Cheers
Terry
ISLAND QUAD

With us too Terry. Melanie, Laurel, me and Toby the dog.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users