24 replies to this topic

#21 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

After much thought, scouring my memory, I am going to have to say I am not responsible for Frans lines. I never was asked to leave a grid to fly/practice with Martin Linford of the Decs, I was always in the middle or on the left in grids, never on the right, and I never had any collisions with anyone during the small (16-20) grids. I did snap Johns line, for that I am very sorry for. I am still willing to make up for that if that is want he wants.

In all hindsight, I wish I had been approached with this privately, I would have done the right thing, but that is all water under the bridge. Now that this thread is pinned, let it be a example of what not to do, on the field or in public forum.

It has been nice flying with all of you,

take care all

Walt
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#22 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

One more addition to this thread.

We had a line cut this weekend, (my fault!) and it happened so quickly i nearly missed what happened. My leading edge sliced along the other fliers lines and it was melted in an instant. I didn't even feel the contact.

Anyway, the point of this post is that the "incident" that damages your lines may happen some time before your line actually breaks. There are frequent commings together when flying and lines sometimes get damaged. So as a point of good practice it is well worth checking your lines everynow and then for damage. I find the best time is when i am winding them back in after a practice as you are usualy walking slowly enough to see the blemishes.

Just run your fingers along the lines and you will feel any week points.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#23 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I and the other guy's I fly with on a regular basis sometimes had the inconvenience of a line break, and it always happens at the worst time, it was noticed however that the line more often than not had broken ( burnt through ) within 20 inches ( 50cm ) from the end nearest the kite, probably caused by a leading edge sliding across the line's or previously misjudging a landing on a sea wall etc causing a weak spot, we came up with a solution that we have been using for a year now and it works for us, we use what we call line extenders or a sacraficial piece of line, this is a piece of line 30 inches ( 76cm ) long the extra10 inches is an extra saftey margin, with a loop at each end this is then attached to the end of each flying line ( you obviously need four pieces the same length ) and then larksheaded onto the kite's bridles, you then make up a couple of spare one's the same length as the other four, if you then suffer a line breakage on this piece of line you simply replace it with one of the spare ones you previously made.
If the people you reguarly fly with do the same, the line sets are all the same length, they do not get caught up when flying with other people or doing spins/axels etc and the extra length makes no difference when doing a mega grid, and if you get to fly with people that do not have them on their lines, as happened at Portsmouth recently it is a simple case of removing them, only takes a couple of minutes and you are back to a standard set of lines.
One of my friends had a line break a few weekends back on this sacraficial piece of line, it was removed and replaced with a spare and the kite was back in the air within 5 minutes, and a lot less expensive than buying a new line set. Some of us sleeve these extra pieces some do not does not make any significant difference, they can be the same breaking strain as the main lines or weaker or stronger, I tend to use slightly stronger one's and have only had one break in a year and we fly at least every weekend.

#24 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

Aye, we do something similar on iQuad... We have individual new lines we swap in if a new-ish set is broken somehow.

If the lines are worn and old, we don't add a new line to the mix though, too much difference while it stretches and settles in, handles differently too.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#25 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

Hi, another advantage of only using a short piece of sacraficial line is that it does not matter how old the lines are, 30 inches over 120ft makes no significant difference to us mere mortal flyers Posted Image , this can help if you are flying on a budget, however there does become a point when a new pair or set of lines is needed, and as John has said it is handy to have a spare line or pair of lines in the bag to swop in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users