121 replies to this topic

#41 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

If you could post exactly what would be covered when you know i would appreciate it

I'll post more as soon as I hear! Gérard had asked that details should be posted on the forum...

Felix

#42 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

Rev Fly Berck

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#43 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

Rev Fly Berck

sorry i'm not on facebook
can you put a link up that i can see

Maker of the ULTRA NO SNAG HANDLES

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#44 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

There is no additional information posted there. (EDIT Except the people posting their potential involvement!)

I will make every effort to make sure information is available at both locations as soon as I hear back from Gérard.

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram, 15 January 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#45 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

correct that..............now on facebook

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#46 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

correct that..............now on facebook

Gérard has got back to me explaining that we need to confirm 100 fliers by the end of the month in order that he can proceed with the plan.

There would be a facility for participating fliers to book accommodation 'at their own cost' through the Tourist Office.

Felix

#47 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Gérard has got back to me explaining that we need to confirm 100 fliers by the end of the month in order that he can proceed with the plan.

There would be a facility for participating fliers to book accommodation 'at their own cost' through the Tourist Office.

Felix

sorry felix but i have to comment and this is NOT aimed at you - I know you are trying to make it happen
there were plans for this last year and people couldnt get rooms then !
it looks highly unlikely that there will be 100 rev fliers this year (especially as it is this late in the organising - it will be even later at the end of the month) so access to rooms for fliers will not likely occur
I am a willing "to participate" flier but it seems there is NO facility to book at my own cost
I thought this was a kite festival,where they encourage you to attend (at your own expense so you can add to the display and spectacle) - how can you attend if you cant get rooms,or should i say get access to rooms - planning takes time especially for people to get time off,organise finances and travel arrangements etc
people i know want to attend and did so last year,some gave up as they couldnt get rooms but seems most are stuck in a catch 22 situation,or bring your tent and try that !!!!!!
I for one have time available off work and have had for months and would gladly book RIGHT NOW
as a lone traveller this would be a fair expense and as such being PART of things with the other fliers ie in the vicinity of them would help
would i have this trouble trying to go to a festival in the UK
I THINK NOT
I will hold out a little longer to be PART of Berck 2011 but if things dont start falling in to place soon i will give up on Berck and look to the festivals that i can organise attending with ease
Yours hopefully
BAZ

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#48 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

sorry felix but i have to comment and this is NOT aimed at you - I know you are trying to make it happen
there were plans for this last year and people couldnt get rooms then !
<snip>
I will hold out a little longer to be PART of Berck 2011 but if things dont start falling in to place soon i will give up on Berck and look to the festivals that i can organise attending with ease
Yours hopefully
BAZ

Hi Baz,

In a nutshell, he is not going forward unless there are 100 fliers. If there are 100 fliers they 'will' be able to get accommodation booked 'at their own cost' through the Tourist office.

There is nothing more that I can do except possibly organise a count of people who are prepared to commit before the end of January. As a number of fliers and teams have already indicated that they would not be able to attend I am reluctant to raise hopes too high!

Felix

#49 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Why don't we try and get 100 flyers at Portsmouth as it's the festivals 20th anniversary.That gives 7 months to organise things
All the best

Daz

#50 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Why don't we try and get 100 flyers at Portsmouth as it's the festivals 20th anniversary.That gives 7 months to organise things

I think that this would be a 'possibility' but 'space' would be an issue.

Felix

EDIT I have sent a message to the organisers of the event

Edited by Felix Mottram, 18 January 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#51 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

I think that this would be a 'possibility' but 'space' would be an issue.

Felix

EDIT I have sent a message to the organisers of the event

Thankyou for the update Felix

Daz I think that would be a better idea AND people from all over the world would be able to book accomodation in portsmouth NOW if they wanted to
if there was a serious 100 mega fly attempt OR a world record to be had (ie more than the WSIKF) then surely as an organiser they could arrange for kites to be cleared as appropriate to accomodate for a short time
then it would be CHALK ONE UP FOR THE UK

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#52 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thankyou for the update Felix

Daz I think that would be a better idea AND people from all over the world would be able to book accomodation in portsmouth NOW if they wanted to
if there was a serious 100 mega fly attempt OR a world record to be had (ie more than the WSIKF) then surely as an organiser they could arrange for kites to be cleared as appropriate to accomodate for a short time
then it would be CHALK ONE UP FOR THE UK

I really do not want to 'pour cold water' on your enthusiasm but 100 grid is not trivial and it really is not just a case of just taking over the flying area of the SLKs for a short time as that field is dominated by physical anchor points etc. We would need the absolute backing of the organisers and a very clear plan for preparation and delivery of an attempt at 100 kites. Some lessons were learned at Long Beach, not least regarding the launch and landing sequences within a defined area.

Those of us who took part in the Long Beach event are probably less interested in an incremental record and I expect would only be really enthusiastic about going for the 100.

Felix

#53 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

From recent experience accommodation IN Portsmouth is not that easy to come by either for those wishing to attend the festival as Daz will testify, probably because it is a bank holiday weekend, plus Portsmouth is very dependant on wind direction, if anyone is looking for a large open space to try and get a lot of kites in the air in the Uk I will throw Rougham Airfield's name into the ring, the local flying site of the Suffolk Kite Flyers, as people are probably aware the festival is not going ahead this year but from reading their forum they are looking to be back in 2012 " bigger and better" and are looking for idea's for something different to freshen thing's up, just a suggestion I have no connection to either.

#54 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

From recent experience accommodation IN Portsmouth is not that easy to come by either for those wishing to attend the festival as Daz will testify, probably because it is a bank holiday weekend, plus Portsmouth is very dependant on wind direction, if anyone is looking for a large open space to try and get a lot of kites in the air in the Uk I will throw Rougham Airfield's name into the ring, the local flying site of the Suffolk Kite Flyers, as people are probably aware the festival is not going ahead this year but from reading their forum they are looking to be back in 2012 " bigger and better" and are looking for idea's for something different to freshen thing's up, just a suggestion I have no connection to either.

Thanks for the suggestion but 'inland' even as close to the sea as the Bristol site is will never be as viable as a shore based site. Long Beach is brilliant, Berck is likely to be a bit brutal, the Mediterranean sites are great after 11am but beach space may be limited.

Portsmouth is OK but a bit tricky when the tide is down and especially when the ships go past.

Accommodation in Portsmouth, as in Berck, is finite! <grins> I am not familiar with accommodation possibilities in the Rougham area... Bury St. Edmunds I guess!

Felix

#55 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but 'inland' even as close to the sea as the Bristol site is will never be as viable as a shore based site. Long Beach is brilliant, Berck is likely to be a bit brutal, the Mediterranean sites are great after 11am but beach space may be limited.

Portsmouth is OK but a bit tricky when the tide is down and especially when the ships go past.

Accommodation in Portsmouth, as in Berck, is finite! <grins> I am not familiar with accommodation possibilities in the Rougham area... Bury St. Edmunds I guess!

Felix

My guess would be leave it for this year.

I don't believe we could get 100 @ Rougham Portsmouth even Berck would be hard.

A BIG event in USA in 2012 or in UK 2012, if we could get something to tie in with that other event in the UK in 2012. We could get UK flyers offering space to those that want to visit :o

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#56 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

My guess would be leave it for this year.

I don't believe we could get 100 @ Rougham Portsmouth even Berck would be hard.

A BIG event in USA in 2012 or in UK 2012, if we could get something to tie in with that other event in the UK in 2012. We could get UK flyers offering space to those that want to visit

Thanks for your comments Simon.

I think that the 100 project will be realised eventually!

I do not think that it will happen in the USA after the initial attempt at Long Beach last summer. The site and preparations were superb. The fliers were not ultimately available despite the USA being, marginally, the biggest market for the kites.

We have not been able to involve the Japanese teams so far except at Uchinada. If we could combine them and the Europeans it would be easy to make 100.

How to do it?

Felix

#57 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

I think that the 100 project will be realised eventually!

Quite possibly. However, can we rewind a little? I've one ever so slightly heretical question: What's so special about the number 100? Yes, it's a lot of kites, but what patterns, moves, transitions would it specifically open up?

Given practical constraints for the column height of 6-8, surely this would promote a multiple of the height as the target number? Then, looking at the "building blocks" for stock moves (modelled on the Super Sixteen principles), replicating them in the horizontal plane suggests that 64 is a good number (8 x 8 might push the limits in lighter winds and mixed abilities) or 72 (6 x 6 + 6 x 6) followed by 108 (add another 6 x 6 block to the side) and so on.
Andy

#58 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Quite possibly. However, can we rewind a little? I've one ever so slightly heretical question: <snip>

The original ™ idea for grid flying going back to 1993 envisaged 100 kites.

I would like to see it done <grins>

Felix

#59 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Frankly, just getting a 10 x 10 grid into the air and stable would be a sight to see, and something to remember being part of. Flying formations or figures might be gilding the lily. If you just had to, I suspect you would have to devise a few one-off figures and plan each person's part in advance.

If you want simply a big grid, Andy's 64 suggestion would lend itself to elaborations of the 16-grid figures. The even powers of 2 (1, 4, 16, 64, 256, etc.) are the most versatile. They can be subdivided in many ways. With a 10 x 10 grid, you have divide by 2 and divide by 5, but nothing else unless you separate into uneven groups. A 6 x 6 or a 12 x 12 might be interesting as you get the triple divides as well as the twos. (9 x 9 only has threes -- no splits by two.)

(These notions all assume square grids.)

I just had an idea for slightly increasing the vertical window: find a high pier or catwalk with the wind crossways to it. Then part of the grid could be below the fliers, making more vertical space available. It might introduce a bit of turbulence, but, after all, nothing comes for free in this life.

Edited by --Pete, 18 January 2011 - 11:34 PM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#60 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Frankly, just getting a 10 x 10 grid into the air and stable would be a sight to see, and something to remember being part of. Flying formations or figures might be gilding the lily. If you just had to, I suspect you would have to devise a few one-off figures and plan each person's part in advance.

If you want simply a big grid, Andy's 64 suggestion would lend itself to elaborations of the 16-grid figures. The even powers of 2 (1, 4, 16, 64, 256, etc.) are the most versatile. They can be subdivided in many ways. With a 10 x 10 grid, you have divide by 2 and divide by 5, but nothing else unless you separate into uneven groups. A 6 x 6 or a 12 x 12 might be interesting as you get the triple divides as well as the twos. (9 x 9 only has threes -- no splits by two.)

(These notions all assume square grids.)

I just had an idea for slightly increasing the vertical window: find a high pier or catwalk with the wind crossways to it. Then part of the grid could be below the fliers, making more vertical space available. It might introduce a bit of turbulence, but, after all, nothing comes for free in this life.

I am very much aware that the basic 16 grid potentially 'multiplies' to 64...

36 is another good starting point. 12 x 12 I think is probably not practical.

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users