62 replies to this topic

#21 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

That's the video that made me buy a 2 wrap Rev I (Sedgwick Series). With that 108" 2 wrap leading edge I am very careful about the winds I fly in. It will bend over into a U in a heart beat. First time I took it out of the package and down to the beach I was amazed that it didn't act like John's in the video. :confused!: Stupid kite. Each time I take it out it does learn more and more so I guess I didn't get one of the pre trained ones and have to teach it. I look forward to a steady 2-3 wind now just so I can head to the beach and train it to act just like the video. :kid_smartass:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#22 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

i too have the sedwick kite in a 2 wrap and found itto be too flexible .. it is a better kite with a 3 wrap in my opinion .. the larger sail makes up for the stiffer rods..however others might have a diffrent opinion on this kite
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#23 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

I think it depends on the wind. This afternoon with my skill set I don't think I could have kept a 3 wrap up, but the 2 just floated back and forth like a champ. Step back make a move and float forward all afternoon.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#24 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

i too have the sedwick kite in a 2 wrap and found itto be too flexible .. it is a better kite with a 3 wrap in my opinion .. the larger sail makes up for the stiffer rods..however others might have a diffrent opinion on this kite

All my Rev 1's have the old 4 wraps with metal ferrules and metal end caps :confused!:

I'd love to try a set of 2 wraps for the 2-4 wind range was working my butt off 2 days ago with what I have.

Gotta love this forum somebody posts something about a certain kite and it makes you think Hey! I haven't done that in awhile :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#25 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Gotta love this forum somebody posts something about a certain kite and it makes you think Hey! I haven't done that in awhile kid_smartass.gif

Got to say I'm with you on that one. I bought my Sedgwick on Ebay, supposedly used but I don't reckon it had ever been flown, straight away went and bought a Pro Use frame for it because I wanted it to extend my low end wind range, but I have found it so different to the 1.5 that I have hardly touched it, not because I don't like it, but I'm desperately trying to bring up my skill level with the 1.5 and don't want to be distracted. The Sedgwick is sitting in the bag patiently waiting for the day when I can spare it a few hours to treat it with the respect it deserves.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#26 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

Somthing i learned as a golfer.Also works witha kite,,FOR ME,,

I used to stand on the Tee with two or even three clubs and practice my swing.When it was time to drive or Tee off.The club i selected felt much liter and i could feel it much better in my hands.The confidence level was up also.

So,set up your kite with the heavy,stiffer rods first in low winds.Give it your best shot and work hard at it.Then swop to the liter rods and i find the diffrence is appreciated much more.

I do love the Sedgewick in a 4mph though with 3 wrap,its awsome.

Just my take on it.

BRIAN...

#27 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:45 AM

I do love the Sedgewick in a 4mph though with 3 wrap,its awsome.

Just my take on it.

BRIAN...

I don't have 3, just 2 & 4.

It's waiting patiently and will be there for me when I can give it the attention it deserves. :kid_content:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#28 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Besides the sail pattern are the Sedgwicks different than a std Rev 1 like mine? [attachment=2730:Rev.jpg]

#29 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Besides the sail pattern are the Sedgwicks different than a std Rev 1 like mine?

Can't answer the question but have to comment on the strangely iconic image!

Where is that?

Felix

#30 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

Just to the right of my apartments front door. After the picture was taken I thought the speed sign was appropriate.

Dean

Albany, Oregon if that was the desired answer

#31 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Just to the right of my apartments front door. After the picture was taken I thought the speed sign was appropriate.

Dean

Albany, Oregon if that was the desired answer

The area light and the car light, or was that reflection from the camera flash?

Robert Rauschenberg had an eye for the details of the American and other environments. The speed sign is very cool in the context!

Thanks

Felix

#32 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

The area light is on but the reflector on my car caught the flash.
For some reason that picture is my favorite of the few I've taken.

Dean

#33 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

The area light is on but the reflector on my car caught the flash.
For some reason that picture is my favorite of the few I've taken.

Dean

Dean,

As I said it is 'a strangely iconic image'. Do you still have a hi res version.

Best wishes

Felix

#34 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

Dean,

As I said it is 'a strangely iconic image'. Do you still have a hi res version.

Best wishes

Felix

I'm embarrassed to say, that is the highest resolution I've got on my camera :blushing: It does look slightly less pixelated looking at it on my computer. But I'm not a photographer. I think I could get another pic using a better camera though.

Dean

#35 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

I should sell it to him dean. He will understand, being an art dealer;) ;)

David Ellison kindly lent me some 2,3 and 4 wrap rods for my I's. Unfortunately I have to return them this weekend but the standard with the 2 wraps was faboulous, and I can't tell you what the vented with 3 wraps did for me on a family site!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#36 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

:kid_devlish: is that picture really art?

I'm sure you got some kinda thing outta the 3 wrap vented. Probably the same thing I'll get if I ever get to try the 2 wrap out on my standards. Rerod both of em and fly a light wind stack. It's a cool looking stack. Done it, but 15 to 20 mph winds with these is a bit extreme for my prefered flying style now'a days. Do ya'all get light wind days over there?

Dean

#37 Lavarr

Lavarr
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi,
I found john's article very interesting (http://www.kitelife....d40/content.php) but there is a point that I don't understand. I'm not english or american, so I have some difficulties understanding articles when tecnical/slang language is used.
I'm very interested in the "gain ground section" of the article but I don't understand how to perform it. When I got the kite at the top of the wind window what do I have to do? How do I make the L.E. point donward and what to do next and wich position the kite assume?
thanks for the attention and greetings from Italy.

#38 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

HI.

Fly up to the top of the window as described (L.E. up). When you are at the top, turn 180 so the 'points' are now facing up and L.E. facing down. As the kite gains speed, apply more break (thumbs forward) and walk forwards to glide the kite back downwind.

At least, that is what I interpret it as although I am not very good at it personally so maybe I have it wrong Posted Image
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#39 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yes, you are correct Jason. With the kite in the inverted position, it can act like a glider, and glide away from you as you gain ground. Using large amounts of break, you can slow down the kite's decent and make it glide away from you as you move forward.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:14 AM

The extra brake keeps the kite nearly flat, so you get the best "glide angle" (most distance down-wind per amount of drop). This is used to recover ground that you have "lost" by stepping backward to increase the apparent wind. But be careful: too much brake will prevent the kite from gliding downwind at all.

In light winds, you can also experiment with small weights (usually at the lower ends of the vertical spars) to help the kite sit naturally at the best glide angle. The weight of the LE spar, and the bridle adjustment, will also affect the glide angle. When experimenting, it is best to only change one variable at a time and see what the effect is.

As one of my random email sigs says:

When all the parameters change, its not possible to
say which caused the whirlwind. [Elizabeth Moon]
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users