Photo

Advice on quality starter Rev (1.5?/SLE?/B?)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

If you already have 2, 3 & 4 wraps, buy the Vented with race rods if you can--it may only cost a little more. Then you'll have the full set of options.
Otherwise, I'd get a second set of 3 wraps. I know some good fliers that only fly on 3 wraps for the whole wind range unless the wind is really kickin'

Thanks! Posted Image

#42 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:10 AM

The Midvent is probably the most specialized kite Rev produces.

Wouldn't that be the Indoor or the Zen? Posted Image

Well, the Mid Vent is specifically designed for pilots who's winds on the strongest days usually top out around 15 mph and hardly ever see days where the winds are over that but the winds can be quite consistently over that 8-10 mph mark. Even though the Standard does fly nicely up to that 15 mph range and the full vent can fly good down to 12 mph, the Mid Vent model makes those particular winds of 8-15 mph absolutely wonderful to fly in. This is what the Mid Vent is made for, for pilots who really don't need the full vent sail but do have winds that make a standard Rev a bit to fast and snappy. Also, both of the Vented models seem to smooth out any gusty conditions very nicely making bumpy winds much more fun to fly in.

I think another good reason is something I seem to experience on a regular basis right now - a wind range that sits on the border. Once again I found myself this weekend flying in winds that averaged about 12-13 mph with short gusts up to 16-17 and longer lulls down to 8 mph.

For the most part I was powerd up, sometimes to the point where I was a little nervous of the race frame I had in the full vent. But when those lulls hit, it involved lots of backing up and long arms to regain some height again. I think a mid vent with a 3 wrap frame would probably have been an easier fly ... especially since my girlfriend and I were trying to do some team flying.

#43 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Monday when the wind built from 3-4 mph to about 8mph, I switched from my SUL to a full vented SLE!! At 6-8 mph, it had it's downsides, but when things got to 10 mph, the vented with 3 wrap was in heaven!!:kid_smartass: Flew the rest of the day and had no problems with it at all!! :) Thought about using the race rods in it, but was too lazy to swap them from my SUL, so used what was in there!! Probably would have been better to start, but was great later!! :) Would have liked to see how the midvent handled these conditions, to compare it with the performance of the full vent!! :angry: Lottery!!?? :lol:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#44 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

I agree with what most have said: go for the full vent next.  B series.  I've had a standard and a full vent for a while now.  There's no problem going straight from the standard to the full when the standard starts to pull.  I was always quite happy when the wind was up enough to switch to the vented, because it flies more smoothly.  Yes, sometimes I'm a bit underpowered with the vented, but it's not bothersome UNLESS you are trying to fly in a group, and suddenly you are working hard to maintain speed to keep up.  I'm finally at the point where I want/need a mid.  But as a beginner, definitely start with the standard and full vent combo, as it will allow you to fly in almost all conditions.  Imagine two bricks set end to end, with another placed on top, bridging the bottom two.  The bottom two are the standard and full vent sails, the one on the top is the midvent.  Get it?

Race rods are great, but you'll probably be quite happy with your 2s and 3s for a while.  Race rods basically replace the 2 wraps.  The weight difference for a full set of race rods vs. 2s is only 3.5 grams (80.5/77g).  When/if you order up a full vent, it is possible to order just the sail!  Or, see if you can upgrade to race rods and 120ft lines.  You don't need duplicates of the rods/lines/handles you already own. 

Have you lengthened your leader lines yet?  :blue-cool:

Katrina

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#45 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for your advice Posted Image

Very nice, also the part on rods and lines!

What do you mean by "lengthened your leader lines yet?"?...

I agree with what most have said: go for the full vent next. B series. I've had a standard and a full vent for a while now. There's no problem going straight from the standard to the full when the standard starts to pull. I was always quite happy when the wind was up enough to switch to the vented, because it flies more smoothly. Yes, sometimes I'm a bit underpowered with the vented, but it's not bothersome UNLESS you are trying to fly in a group, and suddenly you are working hard to maintain speed to keep up. I'm finally at the point where I want/need a mid. But as a beginner, definitely start with the standard and full vent combo, as it will allow you to fly in almost all conditions. Imagine two bricks set end to end, with another placed on top, bridging the bottom two. The bottom two are the standard and full vent sails, the one on the top is the midvent. Get it?

Race rods are great, but you'll probably be quite happy with your 2s and 3s for a while. Race rods basically replace the 2 wraps. The weight difference for a full set of race rods vs. 2s is only 3.5 grams (80.5/77g). When/if you order up a full vent, it is possible to order just the sail! Or, see if you can upgrade to race rods and 120ft lines. You don't need duplicates of the rods/lines/handles you already own.

Have you lengthened your leader lines yet? Posted Image

Katrina

#46 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Katrina was asking if you have either the "B" handles or the stock handles! If you have stock handles, consider making new longer top pigtails!! :) By making adjustments at your handles, you can make the kite easier to control by changing the angle of the leading edge! :) Making your top lines longer will require you to firmly launch the kite, but it will not take off on you in flight as badly!! :) If you have "B" handles, you already have extended leaders!! There are diagrams and explanations in threads already on this forum!! Check it out!!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#47 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

Katrina was asking if you have either the "B" handles or the stock handles! If you have stock handles, consider making new longer top pigtails!! Posted Image By making adjustments at your handles, you can make the kite easier to control by changing the angle of the leading edge! Posted Image Making your top lines longer will require you to firmly launch the kite, but it will not take off on you in flight as badly!! Posted Image If you have "B" handles, you already have extended leaders!! There are diagrams and explanations in threads already on this forum!! Check it out!!! Posted Image

Thanks for explaining. Posted Image

The kite came with B handles (7-8 knots on top pt and 2 on lower), and I am slowly getting familiar with this system, helped a lot by the very good tuning theory tutorial. I guess from my 2 line flying experience, that the better you get, the more you will prefer a heavy setting...

#48 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

Glad you are enjoying it, sorry to hear about the Rod. Still you learn by mistakes.

Hope you are up and flying again soon.

Just a thought, could you have gotten away with reversing the rod putting the good unbroken end to the middle, and with a bit of trickery with some wooden dowell (if needed) rebuild the broken end.

It would not have perfect balance, however you would probably not notice it. And be back in the air. Might be worth rebuilding it for a spare.

#49 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Glad you are enjoying it, sorry to hear about the Rod. Still you learn by mistakes.

Hope you are up and flying again soon.

Just a thought, could you have gotten away with reversing the rod putting the good unbroken end to the middle, and with a bit of trickery with some wooden dowell (if needed) rebuild the broken end.

It would not have perfect balance, however you would probably not notice it. And be back in the air. Might be worth rebuilding it for a spare.

Thanks for the tip Baloo; I still have the broken spar, so maybe I can rebuild it ;-)

#50 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hey Beaufort. Just had to comment as i have only been flyin 4 lines for a matter of months. I got out for the 1st time today (all be short and sweet) on my new Rev. I have a B series standard which i have used and abused from 2 to 20mph (beach hols). For my new kite (i have bought it so must afford it) I went for the Mid vent B as i live inland and winds are seldom high. Had winds of about 10 to 13mph (high for home). It was Just brilliant!!! I could nt stop grinning like a fool. My flying was smooth and graceful yet still quick and snappy. It is such a different experience from flying and fighting a standard sail at that wind speed. I have heard in the past people describing how vents take the stress out of flying and didnt really get it. I like to feel my kites on the end of my lines. Thats not stressful, is it? .But now i see..... Brilliant just brilliant..
Of course at the end of my session i had a few big gust and i felt myself hiding the sail from the full force of the wind. Oh dear Oh dear oh DEAR, guess i will have to get that Full vent now just for those few days a year when i have the blow to fill it. I guess what i am saying is "Get a vent any vent" its a whole new world of smooth flow and it takes all the stress out of
flyin.
All the best mate
tommy
tommy harrison

#51 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I learned on a full sail then went to the midvent. I'd have to say, after I started holding my ground in low winds, the midvent became my favorite to fly.

I'm not exactly sure why the company thinks you should learn on the "Super Leading Edge". Apart from being hard to break, and tightening up your dive-stop (no bouncing), I can't really find any virtues in it.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#52 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

ahofer - that's exactly why the SLE comes with that kite!! Most are beginners and end up crashing and thrashing, that rod will take the abuse!! :) After you get used to things, then the 1/4" rods open up a whole new area of control!! :lol: Then you can get 4 or 5 different rod sets to swap as your heart desires!!! :w00t: Gives the kite a completely different feel!! :)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#53 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hey Beaufort. Just had to comment as i have only been flyin 4 lines for a matter of months. I got out for the 1st time today (all be short and sweet) on my new Rev. I have a B series standard which i have used and abused from 2 to 20mph (beach hols). For my new kite (i have bought it so must afford it) I went for the Mid vent B as i live inland and winds are seldom high. Had winds of about 10 to 13mph (high for home). It was Just brilliant!!! I could nt stop grinning like a fool. My flying was smooth and graceful yet still quick and snappy. It is such a different experience from flying and fighting a standard sail at that wind speed. I have heard in the past people describing how vents take the stress out of flying and didnt really get it. I like to feel my kites on the end of my lines. Thats not stressful, is it? .But now i see..... Brilliant just brilliant..
Of course at the end of my session i had a few big gust and i felt myself hiding the sail from the full force of the wind. Oh dear Oh dear oh DEAR, guess i will have to get that Full vent now just for those few days a year when i have the blow to fill it. I guess what i am saying is "Get a vent any vent" its a whole new world of smooth flow and it takes all the stress out of
flyin.
All the best mate
tommy

Hi Tommy, Thanks for fuelling my vent desire Posted Image

I will probably go for the full vent (a bit old school maybe?), even though the mid vent gets a lot of credit here. Posted Image

#54 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hey B, of course! sorry dont mean to confuse the issue more. Enjoy. Old school is kool.
be safe t
tommy harrison

#55 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

From my experience of flying REVs in Denmark(west side), you will be flying your vented REV very often.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#56 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

From my experience of flying REVs in Denmark(west side), you will be flying your vented REV very often.

You have really been here! ;-) Small world sometimes.

I live on the east side of Denmark, where winds are less strong in general and only coming clean from the seaside 1 day out of five Posted Image

BUT we are very lucky to be able to borrow a nice summerhouse on the west coast quite often; and you are so right, a full vent will definately be in its element there Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users