Photo

Advice on quality starter Rev (1.5?/SLE?/B?)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Can you experienced Rev flyers offer some advice for me on my first Rev?

I have been flying af a Drop Kick/Elliot shortly in my holiday, and would like to get a bigger, more precise kite.

I can now do basic things with the Drop Kick, and land it where I want to (took me some days of hard self
teaching, as there was no detailed flying instruction coming with the kite)...

I have a lot of two line experience but get a feel that there is much fun to be found in quads, and would like
to get a quality product, I can grow with, but still "within reason" for a beginner.

Now I am a bit confused: If I get a Rev 1.5 supplied with two frame set, is this then basically the same as a
B-series Rev 1.5 (seems more expensive), or is there any good reasons to go for the more expensive B series?
It seems a bit expensive for a "beginner/starter choice"... But then again I see many giving advice on that
getting a B from the beginning is cheaper in the long run.

Also, I understand if I go for a 1.5 SLE, I should avoid the SLE version/configuration, but rather go for one
with standard rods in different wraps, one version for light wind and one for stronger winds. Is that right?

Thanks very much for your guidance in this new world! ;-)

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hello and welcome to the fun that we call THE DARKSIDE!!! :) It would help if you would tell us what wind conditions you face primarily!! Most will recommend the B series, that version has the most versatility! The extra expense is because you get 2 full frames with a B series, but only an extra leading edge with the SLE! Also the sail is cut differently, giving the B series a little different feel!! Most pilots use the thinner 1/4" rods in their kites, that's why they are offered in the B series,most don't use their SLE rods and get different frames! If you can handle the extra cost, get a B series, and depending on wind strength, a full sail, mid vent, or full vent! If money is an issue, a SLE, either in full or vented is quite suitable for your needs! The nice thing is that any 1.5 frame exchanges between the different models, so they aren't specific to one kite only! It's up to you which way to go, but you'll want them all, eventually!!:kid_devlish: Have fun deciding, I did!!

Edited by stroke victim, 16 August 2010 - 09:40 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the fun that we call THE DARKSIDE!!! Posted Image It would help if you would tell us what wind conditions you face primarily!! Most will recommend the B series, that version has the most versatility! The extra expense is because you get 2 full frames with a B series, but only an extra leading edge with the SLE! Also the sail is cut differently, giving the B series a little different feel!! Most pilots use the thinner 1/4" rods in their kites, that's why they are offered in the B series,most don't use their SLE rods and get different frames! If you can handle the extra cost, get a B series, and depending on wind strength, a full sail, mid vent, or full vent! If money is an issue, a SLE, either in full or vented is quite suitable for your needs! The nice thing is that any 1.5 frame exchanges between the different models, so they aren't specific to one kite only! It's up to you which way to go, but you'll want them all, eventually!!Posted Image Have fun deciding, I did!!

Thanks a lot for the warm and quick welcome Posted Image

My wind conditions vary quite a bit, but most typical winds will be between 6-16 mph. Higher winds than that has not been any real fun flying dual lines, but maybe a quad will change that? That being said, I think I will prefer flying in lower to medium winds. Hope it makes sense Posted Image And I guess I should lean towards a full sail then...

Thank you for explaining the differences between B series and SLE!

I get a feel that a B series will be the way to go, but that you can live fine with an 1.5 SLE also, especially if the frame is swapped to non SLE. Right? Posted Image

Thanks!

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

SLE would be fine, might swap the frame out though.

Dont ignore the EXP if funds are tight.

However my suggestion if you can afford it would be a full sail B. Fly it with the 3 wraps to start, they are stronger so will take the potential abuse a new flier might give them better than the 2 wraps.

Then when you are happy try the 2 wraps in lighter winds.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

All good advice. The B-Series is the cream of the crop because of the way it is made, the material used and it comes with the two complete framesets. Unfortunately it is the most expensive of the three (EXP, 1.5, B-Series). The frames for all three of these models will interchange with each other so it really comes down to the sail material and what frame you want to use.

We package any frame with any model kite at no additional cost but with a slight up-charge for the Race Frame. The new 1.5 SLE is a great package for beginners because it does come with the bomb-proof SLE rod for you to learn with and then you can swap it out for the lighter 1/4" rod for the lighter winds and when you get more control (past the crashing stage). This is the package I recommend for beginners because it allows you to learn without the chance of breaking a rod on your first couple times out. The SLE also works great for those stronger winds and really makes the kite come alive. For hovers and control, the 1/4" rods are the king!

As mentioned, if you are on a budget the EXP is an awesome package. For a little more versatility the 1.5 rocks and for top of the line the B-Series. For your wind conditions I would recommend the standard sail, works well for winds from 4-5ish up to 18mph. If you want something to fly when your dual lines are stuttering in the high winds, the Full Vent is a dream!

Welcome again to the dark side, let us know if you have any other questions and everyone will be more than happy to help you out.

Hope that helps.

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:50 AM

You could of course commit the ultimate crime, get a B and buy the SLE leading edge on top of it :kid_devlish: (wash my mouth out with soap)

You would have a bomb proof leading edge, which you could also fly your full sail in huge sail stretching winds.

Then go to the thinner LE's once you have tha hang of it.

Then as a bonus you would have 3 real cool Tomato sticks when you dont need the SLE's any more.

Just joshing you Beaufort, you go get what you think is best for you according to your funds, whichever one you get I am fairly sure you will get hooked. They are so much fun to fly.

Kent gives good advice, you could do much worse then buy from him (he didnt mention that he has a most exellent kite shop) My best suggestion would be buy local if you can, then you can step back through the door for help and advice. If not there are plenty of places that will mail to you with great backup too.

Edited by Baloo, 18 August 2010 - 01:51 AM.

#7 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

SLE would be fine, might swap the frame out though.

Dont ignore the EXP if funds are tight.

However my suggestion if you can afford it would be a full sail B. Fly it with the 3 wraps to start, they are stronger so will take the potential abuse a new flier might give them better than the 2 wraps.

Then when you are happy try the 2 wraps in lighter winds.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Thanks a lot; and for an experienced dual line flyer and beginner in quads, you don't think it is very risky flying with the 3 wraps? I very seldom brake anything in my dualines...

#8 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

All good advice. The B-Series is the cream of the crop because of the way it is made, the material used and it comes with the two complete framesets. Unfortunately it is the most expensive of the three (EXP, 1.5, B-Series). The frames for all three of these models will interchange with each other so it really comes down to the sail material and what frame you want to use.

We package any frame with any model kite at no additional cost but with a slight up-charge for the Race Frame. The new 1.5 SLE is a great package for beginners because it does come with the bomb-proof SLE rod for you to learn with and then you can swap it out for the lighter 1/4" rod for the lighter winds and when you get more control (past the crashing stage). This is the package I recommend for beginners because it allows you to learn without the chance of breaking a rod on your first couple times out. The SLE also works great for those stronger winds and really makes the kite come alive. For hovers and control, the 1/4" rods are the king!

As mentioned, if you are on a budget the EXP is an awesome package. For a little more versatility the 1.5 rocks and for top of the line the B-Series. For your wind conditions I would recommend the standard sail, works well for winds from 4-5ish up to 18mph. If you want something to fly when your dual lines are stuttering in the high winds, the Full Vent is a dream!

Welcome again to the dark side, let us know if you have any other questions and everyone will be more than happy to help you out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation - sure helps a lot! Sorry if this is a silly question, but B series and Rev John Barresi, that is the same thing, isn'it?...

I get your point, and are left a little bit confused regarding the SLE rods, which doesn't seem popular among most flyers herePosted Image

Thanks!

#9 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

You could of course commit the ultimate crime, get a B and buy the SLE leading edge on top of it Posted Image (wash my mouth out with soap)

You would have a bomb proof leading edge, which you could also fly your full sail in huge sail stretching winds.

Then go to the thinner LE's once you have tha hang of it.

Then as a bonus you would have 3 real cool Tomato sticks when you dont need the SLE's any more.

Just joshing you Beaufort, you go get what you think is best for you according to your funds, whichever one you get I am fairly sure you will get hooked. They are so much fun to fly.

Kent gives good advice, you could do much worse then buy from him (he didnt mention that he has a most exellent kite shop) My best suggestion would be buy local if you can, then you can step back through the door for help and advice. If not there are plenty of places that will mail to you with great backup too.

Thanks Posted Image The US prices seems quite a bit better, than what european dealers can do, but then if tax & duty is to be paid, I think it will become a bad deal unfortunatelyPosted Image

Thanks for the advice, I am really looking forward to fly a Rev Posted Image

#10 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation - sure helps a lot! Sorry if this is a silly question, but B series and Rev John Barresi, that is the same thing, isn'it?...

Yup, two ways of saying the same thing. A lot of us just call it the B.

I pretty much ignored the 1.5 from '95 until '07 when I first flew the then relatively new B. I find it to be a much better kite than the other 1.5s (while interchangeable with the other 1.5s for the frame, the sail is shaped a little differently).

When people talk about the B-Series, it includes the original John Barresi 1.5 (in full sail, mid-vent, and full-vent); the Pro series (the B-series sail shape in full, mid-vent, and full-vent, but hand made by Bazzer Poulter out of 33 panels (each with the weave of the fabric optimally oriented) instead of the 13 panels in the stock B); and the Zen, which is a Rev 1 sized kite, also in the Pro series, designed for SUL team flying and available only in a full sail.

#11 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

Yup, two ways of saying the same thing. A lot of us just call it the B.

I pretty much ignored the 1.5 from '95 until '07 when I first flew the then relatively new B. I find it to be a much better kite than the other 1.5s (while interchangeable with the other 1.5s for the frame, the sail is shaped a little differently).

When people talk about the B-Series, it includes the original John Barresi 1.5 (in full sail, mid-vent, and full-vent); the Pro series (the B-series sail shape in full, mid-vent, and full-vent, but hand made by Bazzer Poulter out of 33 panels (each with the weave of the fabric optimally oriented) instead of the 13 panels in the stock Posted Image; and the Zen, which is a Rev 1 sized kite, also in the Pro series, designed for SUL team flying and available only in a full sail.

Thanks for clarifying ;-)

#12 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

What ever you choose - you can't make a wrong choice!!! All of them have wind ranges that suit them, pick what works the majority of the time, then as you grow in the sport get what you need to fill out your arsenal! Then you'll be ready for whatever winds come your way!!! :kid_smartass: Good luck and good winds!!

Edited by stroke victim, 20 August 2010 - 08:51 AM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#13 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:44 AM

Could any of you pls. give me your opinion on framing, thanks? Posted Image

Maybe I am a little slow Posted Image regarding the prior input on framing, but basically I am leaning towards a B series and at the same time in doubt if the standard framing this comes in (2 and 3 wrap, regular size) is good to start with.

I realize, I should use the 3 wrap until I become better, but don't know if the 3 wrap is considered "fragile"? I am a quad beginner right now, having basic control of the kite, but not advanced. I have a lot of dual line experience behind me, that should make my learning faster I guess.

Would you recommend me to go for the "standard framing" in the B series, or would you rather recommend a combination of SLE rods and standard? I guess it should be easy to pick up some SLE rods later on, when so many don't use them any more...

I know it is a personal opinion, but would really like to know!

Thanks! Posted Image

#14 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

If you are purchasing the B-Series then the frames that come with that will be perfect. Especially since you already have some flying experience. Start out with the 3 wrap frame as it is the strongest of the two and only change frames if the wind is too light and the 3 wrap is just to heavy to get the kite off the ground. Other than the wind range, keep the 3 wraps in and have fun. If you do happen to get into wind conditions of 15 to 20mph+, slide both leading edges into the kite for added strength.

No need to pick up an extra SLE leading edge for your B-Series unless you want to make the kite much more responsive and faster through the window. Remember that doing this comes at the cost of stability and control though.

Hope that helps.

#15 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

If you are purchasing the B-Series then the frames that come with that will be perfect. Especially since you already have some flying experience. Start out with the 3 wrap frame as it is the strongest of the two and only change frames if the wind is too light and the 3 wrap is just to heavy to get the kite off the ground. Other than the wind range, keep the 3 wraps in and have fun. If you do happen to get into wind conditions of 15 to 20mph+, slide both leading edges into the kite for added strength.

No need to pick up an extra SLE leading edge for your B-Series unless you want to make the kite much more responsive and faster through the window. Remember that doing this comes at the cost of stability and control though.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot - you made it crystal clear to me! Posted Image

I will not bother any of you more for now, only let you know when a nice Rev has arrived and how it feels to get her in the air the first time ;-)

#16 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

This isn't a bother to anybody I know on the forum!! :kid_smartass: It's what we do, share info, experiences, have questions answered, etc.!!! :kid_content: Good luck flying your new toy!!! :)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Aye, sentiments seconded Wayne. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

A very beautiful red/gray/white B series has arrived!!!

First flight was this morning at the beach with wind from the sea, a bit high wind for learning, around 12mph Posted Image

A gave it a go anyway and really enjoyed how she flew; I was a bit "rusty" with 3-4 weeks without flying, and that's is a long time, when you are about to learn. It surprised me that the kite has quite a bit of pull ind this wind, and therefore I exercised mainly at the edge to get familiar with the movements again. Hovers (not inverted!) and some nice slides, but nothing quick to be careful. Then on to some rotations, which I find at bit difficult at the moment, when I am at the edge. Here one wing easily flips?/loose pressure, if you are not careful. But I didn't like to do rotations at the center, because of the force being at bit much at my stage.

Exercising rotations (rather slow) suddenly I had a bad one, not very forceful, touching the ground, and I am braking the end spar Posted Image I thought wow, that was fragile, compared to my experience with two liners. But found out when taking the kite apart, that the break was only about half an inch long (a bit more than 1 cm) indicating, that I had not inserted the end spar all the way into the center rod! My fault, and a silly mistake for the first flight, so now you are warned, beginner fliers: DO make sure that your rods are inserted all the way. Very simple, but easy to oversee when you are assembling for the first time.

A spare rod is ordered allready, so hopefully I am airborne soon again.

Once again, thanks for helping me to this lovely kite, very beautifully crafted! Posted Image

#19 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

If you have gotten yourself a full sail "B", consider adding a mid or full vent to your collection! :kid_smartass: 12mph is a little strong for a full sail, not too strong, just a little more than you need to make it fly!! A mid or full vent will handle winds in that range so much better, you'll be surprised!! :kid_content: Makes learning new stuff easier too!! The pull is reduced by the venting, and you can concentrate what you're doing instead of keeping the kite under control!! Try it you'll like it!!:kid_devlish:

wayne from portland

AKA member

#20 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

If you have gotten yourself a full sail "B", consider adding a mid or full vent to your collection! Posted Image 12mph is a little strong for a full sail, not too strong, just a little more than you need to make it fly!! A mid or full vent will handle winds in that range so much better, you'll be surprised!! Posted Image Makes learning new stuff easier too!! The pull is reduced by the venting, and you can concentrate what you're doing instead of keeping the kite under control!! Try it you'll like it!!Posted Image

I know, I know. I am already tempted. But the account has just been drained for a brand new lovely B series full sail ...

I guess a vented will find its way to the kite bag sooner or later Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users