10 replies to this topic

#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

How would it go if you used a cable tie instead of a washer on the ends of the bungee cords that hold the vertical spars Posted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

David..

Are you talking top or bottom end cap?? either way if you've lost the washer you can live without it ... The bottom ones just spread the load and stop the knots pulling through the sail but its easy enough to use a little longer bungee and tie the two ends together so that the rod goes through the loop as per the speed/power series.... for the top end cap again the washers there to stop wear/knot pulling through and you can live without it IMHO ...

#3 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

If it's the top of the spar you can check pluming washers to see if one will fit. If none are available get a piece of rubber automotive tubing and cut a small section of that. For the bottom spar a rivet backing plate/washer will work.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#4 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

David..

Are you talking top or bottom end cap?? either way if you've lost the washer you can live without it ... The bottom ones just spread the load and stop the knots pulling through the sail but its easy enough to use a little longer bungee and tie the two ends together so that the rod goes through the loop as per the speed/power series.... for the top end cap again the washers there to stop wear/knot pulling through and you can live without it IMHO ...

G'Day Jonesey,I lost the top washer while flying and I dont know if that was the cause but I went into a massive turo spin on the ground and 4hrs later I had all the tangles outPosted ImageLooking at them it looks like the washer is there to keeps them together.
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Check out a Hardware Store (I think it is ironmonger in the UK)and go to the plumbing section. You should be able to find a reasonable replacement.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

HA,we got you on this one John. :)

You need to find out what a Hardware / Ironmonger is called in Austrailia, tee hee. :kid_devlish:

Edited by Baloo, 15 August 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

HA,we got you on this one John. :)

You need to find out what a Hardware / Ironmonger is called in Austrailia, tee hee. :kid_devlish:

Well, I was in Australia long ago, when I was young. Seems to me they took over the American name "Hardware store".
One of the names in Germany is "Eisenwarengeschäft". in Bayerisch, ich vergesse.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Well, I was in Australia long ago, when I was young. Seems to me they took over the American name "Hardware store".
One of the names in Germany is "Eisenwarengeschäft". in Bayerisch, ich vergesse.

I think that could be the the one

#9 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

I stumbled across this topic after just replacing a broken washer two days ago. On my Rev 1.5 B, the washer for a bungie at the top of one of the verticals broke due to to overtension in the lower bungies (from tuning experiments :blushing: ). With no washer, one of the knotted ends of the bungie slipped through the hole in the sail, but retained the endcap. After loosening the lower bungies, I went looking for a replacement.

I found that what I needed was a flat rubber faucet washer. In the US the "trade size" is 0 (zero). This is not a by-eye equivalent. This is exactly what was on my kite as it came from the factory. The 0 is clearly molded into the rubber of the original.

The other washers are smaller and seem to be made of a harder material in a slightly different shape. Haven't had to replace any of them yet.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

I stumbled across this topic after just replacing a broken washer two days ago. On my Rev 1.5 B, the washer for a bungie at the top of one of the verticals broke due to to overtension in the lower bungies......

Skip the plumbing department and go directly to hardware. The "washers" are made for wood screws and come in as many sizes as screws do. You''l find an exact replacement there.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#11 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

I've seen the size 0 plumbing washers on some of my Rev's too.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users