New Flier from Portsmouth

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen

Stephen
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have attended the Portsmouth for the last 17 years. Bought my first Rev (well 2 1.5s) 12 years ago and still have not flown them. I only started flying Revs at Easter and have accumulated only a few hours to date. I am very grateful to Big Bri, JB for his videos and the Mega Team of 2008.

Having originally bought my Revs I was too worried about damaging them to actually fly them. I was going to wait to the next (1999) Portsmouth Kite Festival for instruction. Somehow it never happened and each year for several years I would attend Portsmouth and carry my kite bag around but never fly. I then stopped flying kites all together for lack of time but still attended Portsmouth each year (usually with my kite bag).

I was very impressed with the mega fly in 2008. At the time I did not understand the significance of what was going on there. In 2009 I attended Portsmouth expecting to see another mega fly with even more kites. It was then I realised what had happened in 2008. I even went on Monday in 2009 but my Revs remained unflown as I watched many Rev fliers practising. Shortly afterwards I discovered this forum and started to learn about the dark side and mega flys.

I decided to buy an EXP from ebay to start off with so that I would not damage my 1998 Rev 1.5s whilst learning. I had bought some lines earlier from ebay and discovered that the seller had been Big Bri. I had a few emails from him of encouragement to get started, I also bought another Rev from him. I watched the videos from JB - many thanks. I lurked in the background. I was hooked.

Part of my fascination has come from my other hobby - for the last 30 years I have been a Modern American Square Dance Caller and could see many of the team patterns as square dance figures, especially where the teams consisted of 8 Revs. I also wanted to take part in a mega fly in the future - distant future.

This year I have finally started flying Revs - my collection has got slightly out of hand. In addition to my two original 1.5s I now have 1 EXP, 3 SLEs (one vented), 2 JBs (one vented), 1 JB Pro, 2 Rev 1s and 1 Rev 2. I attended the Southampton Festival (both days) where I actual flew on of my JBs in a quiet corner and was able to put some faces to the names here, even if I did not speak except to Yarna.

I have made a few photos of my kite and the Ultrasaurus that will be part of the backdrop at this years Portsmouth Kite Festival.

Cheers
Stephen

#2 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have attended the Portsmouth for the last 17 years.
<snip>
Cheers
Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your posting.

You really should try and fly in with some of the other Rev fliers. They do not bite! Honest...

Please do introduce yourself at the event at Portsmouth this yaer.

Felix

#3 Stephen

Stephen
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Felix,
I really do intend to introduce myself at Portsmouth.

Thank you for your posts especially about the Mega Fly. It was through reading your posts about the 2008 Portsmouth and later on the "informal" teaching on the Monday of 2009 that made me realise what I had missed out on.

In 2008 I though that the Mega fly was an ordinary event - just a few more kites than usual and I really did expect to see it again in 2009.

I would value any help that I can get at Portsmouth and hope that one year I might get good enough to participate in a Mega fly. Perhaps the first 250!!

Good luck for the 100.

Sorry that I did not check the Ethiopian restaurant for you when I went to fly around the Ultrasaurus.

Cheers
Stephen

#4 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hey Stephen ..Glad to know there is another Hampshire Hoverer out there .... think I saw you at Southampton but wasn't there for long .. myself and a few others are members of the Solent Kite Flyers and fly at Stokes Bay (Gosport) most Sundays so if you want some company get in touch... more the merrier and as Felix says flying in company makes a huge difference to your skill level and probably more importantly enjoyment .. rev flyers are pretty unanimously a friendly bunch ... I think its that shared madness thing!

See you at Portsmouth

Jonesey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users