38 replies to this topic

#21 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Ben, I echo everyone else s sentiments here!!! Mate, after what I've been through, just listen to the docs and take care of you for a while!!! A couple of months may sound like an eternity, but time flies by, and if it means you'll be well, then so much the better!!! We're not going anywhere, so do what you need to do, get over it, and come back better than ever!!! I know from experience, the sooner you take care of the problem, the sooner you can get back on the BEACH!!! Best Wishes!!!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#22 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

I will bring a nice comfy beach chair just for you Ben. I, and I hope others, are going to make you take it easy on the beach at WSIKF.

You have dealt with this long enough, time to do what you need to do to heal.

Get well, and take it easy for Gods sake!

Love Ya Man! :kid_loved:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#23 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hey Ben,

Do what you have to to get better, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

#24 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

Thank you one and all for the fine words I feel very loved after reading all the notes....Posted Image I get scared cause after Mary died I've been all alone in life but the
truth of the matter is I'm not alone I have all of you as my Family and together I'm sure we can get thru this also......Posted Image So the plan is for me to make it to the
end of the season and then go in for the operation I guess, if I can't wait it'll happen faster.....Posted Image I'm not happy but I just can't go on like this for much longer
and the pain has gotten so very bad that I can't hardly stand it..... So tomorrow I'll make the appointment to go in and see the surgeon and we'll go from there
I guess and I'll make plans to operate in Dec. or sooner, no more games I'm going to get this fixed or removed cause I just can't go on like this for sure. I'll have to
miss some of the earlier year events but this way I can keep doing what I love.Posted Image I feel that I have given a great deal of myself to this sport and the sport will
be okay without me for a few weeks if need be, the big question is will I be okay without this sport for a bit. When Mary got sick and later passed I kept my plate
full and was always on the road cause this sport meant so much to me and I felt that this was all I had in life and as some of you know there were times where
I was not okay heath wish or in spirit but I put on my game face and did what ever it took. So now I guess this is God's way of saying you need to take care of you
for awhile and understand that things will be okay. So as the time passes I will keep everyone informed on whats going on and take it a bit easy till I get this fixed,
before I close I'd like to thank you all for all the kind words and phone calls and to say that " I love you guys one and all and I'm very proud to call you Family ".....
BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ben,

Think LONG-TERM. Do that which will make you strongest and most agile ten years from now!

Ten years from now, you will still be years younger than I when you introduced me to Rev flying at Lincoln City.

What I am trying to say: get yourself healthy - you are still a YOUNG man. The kite community can live without you actively flying for some months, but not forever. Once healed, you will bounce back within a few more months, I am SURE! Take the time to heal physically. You still have many of the best years ahead of you.

-Wishing you Good Health and Fair Winds.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#26 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Ben,
I do love you like my own family. (MORE than a lot of them, lol)
Just say the word and I'll come out there and spend time with you while you are recovering.
I truly understand rehab because I've been told twice in my life that I would never walk again and both times I told those doctors F%@* You. That's the attitude you have to have....and you do because you are such a fighter. I can help you get into all sorts of mischief.....those therapists and rehab doctors will be afraid to turn their backs on you!!!! Let me know when you want me to hop on a plane out there....I mean it!!
Huge Hugs,
Melanie

Melanie in Tennessee

#27 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

She means every word. My wife knows a thing or two about Physical rehab. If you want her company on the left coast for a while, I can handle things in TN.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#28 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

And hey, just imagine how much fun you could have flying in one of those cool moterised chairs. Specially the on that the pictue was on here, think it had some attractive female helpers with it. Was it Jynx posted the picture? It even had a reading lamp.

#29 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

BEN ,
It is imperative that you take the appropriate steps to insure your long term health .
We and the wind will be waiting for you.
Be strong , our thoughts are with you on this journey .
Terry
Posted Image

#30 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Ben,

You have a lot things to do and places to go and everyone needs you there.

Take good care of yourself

Be better soon

Bruce

#31 Oracle

Oracle
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Well I've been home 2 days now and I'm already going crazy......Posted Image As most of you know I've been battling a huge foot problem that has come to a head
and to tell you the truth I can't walk hardly at all and it's got me down Family...Posted Image I wish I knew what to do cause the thought of a major operation has
got me down I'd rather they just take the foot off and give me a new graphite one....Posted Image It's just got me down cause what would happen if I can't do this
any more...... If I have the operation I'm down for at least 4 months and it may not even work cause it's so bad and I let it go on so long, but I've been in
a huge amount of pain for over a year every day and now I can't even walk for long..... The huge amounts of Motrin I've been taking is now effecting my
liver and kidneys and my doctors said I've got to stop taking them of run the risk of other problems....Posted Image Yea this is becoming a huge issue and I'm not
sure what to do about it all...... Ben ( not a happy camper )Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ben,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time. I understand both why you desire to have the surgery; as well as, not wanting to do it at all due to the fear of being worse off. As for Motrin and most other pain medications, they're simply hard on the body long term. I know when I was facing back surgery, it simply came to the point that I could not take the pain anymore and not being able to function; so I had the surgery knowing that I could wake up worse than I was with the alternative possibility of being pain free after a while. I'm happy to say that my results have been very successful. No one can make the decision for you; just know that support is always around you and that we wish you the best.

Warmest regards,
Sarah

#32 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

And hey, just imagine how much fun you could have flying in one of those cool motorized chairs. Specially the one that the picture was on here, think it had some attractive female helpers with it. Was it Jynx posted the picture? It even had a reading lamp.

Ben ...It's all Yours, just for the asking! Posted Image But you'll have to supply your own women... and I don't foresee any problems there!

Attached Thumbnails

• For Ben.jpg

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#33 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

Ben

We love ya... Please take the time for you. We want you around for a long time. If you have the surgery in December by the following summer you'll be glad you did it.

I broke a bone in my foot on July 27th, it's not easy to sit back and do nothing. I'm in a boot until the middle of September. The goal is to be healed and ready to go on a cruise with Steve for our 10th Aniversary on October 2nd.

The hardest thing is asking for help with the daily things. Surround yourself with good people and you won't even have to ask, they will do it for you.

Sending love, prayers and hugs your way.

Sherri
Steve & Sherri

#34 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Ben

Lynn and I remember the day we met you at WSIKF, 2003. Your foot was giving you so much pain at that time, you were standing in the cold surf to hold off the pain as you flew your Rev.

So glad you are going to get it handled.

"Git er done!" The sooner the better. You don't want to miss Kite Party.

We love you, Brother.

Attached Thumbnails

• P8216193.JPG
  • P8216204.JPG

Edited by Jim Foster, 09 August 2010 - 04:32 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#35 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Ditto! We want you comfortable and back in action Ben. Take care.

Mark

#36 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

Yeah. What they all said! It may suck in the short term, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets...as you've seen year after year!

#37 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Aye, get 'er done boss...

Any one of us will be happy to push you around (more than usual), and it'll be better in the long run.

Glad to hear you're making the move to get it done, love ya brother.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#38 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

ben.. sorry to hear of this . go see the doc man .. i hurt mr elbow and went right away now im back out flying in a very short time..the wildwood beaches are big enough for all of us including you.. wheel chair or not you know you have a home here
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#39 Cass

Cass
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ben; I only now saw this thread. I am so sorry you are in so much pain. You know we all wish there was something we could do to help. Know this. You are in our thoughts. I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that we consider you family. I am in agreement with the others that you must think about your long term health and quality of life. Get the operation and try to stay positive. It is amazing what the doctors can do these days. It WILL work out. P
Carol and Cass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users