7 replies to this topic

#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

I hope you guys don't think I'm a woos or anything but I find using two winders,one for the left and one for the right works for mePosted Image I've only run the lines out twice,had only two flys, and had trouble,maybe in the future ( with more experience )I'll use only one the winder for all four lines but for now I'm not to proud to use twoPosted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hi David,
I did that very same thing for about a year... because I found it very frustrating to try and get the quad lines untangled... it was not until I did the rev clinic with iQuad that I got some tips from John on how to deal with it easily. I just felt like I would spend more time flying, if I did them on seperate winders, and that was my main goal. I see no problem with it at all, and I bet you will feel much more comfortable a bit down the road and will end up on one winder eventually. In the meantime, ENJOY the flying!

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

Aye, no problem... Whatever gets the job done and gets you flying.

For when you're ready, just in case you haven't seen this:

Over 9,000 viewings since February 23rd. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

I know a few folks who use 2 winders even after a considerable time.

It may well be that you stay with 2 winders forever.

I can actually see a couple of advantages, if you fly dual line as well then you do not need linesets for the dualies :kid_devlish:

(yes I know you could put different amounts of stretch in the left right lines, did you not see the kidly devilish grin there :) )

The other factor would be the more winders you buy the safer all the folks are that work in the factories making them.

David, you wind your lines how you want to wind them and in the way it works for you. If you ever feel like you want to try 4 on a winder again then go for it. You will find you can wind 4 without tangles. However if you are getting problems I am sure you will get much more flying time in the way you are at the moment.

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

I use 2 winders (left and right lines) on all my power kites, but wind single winder iQuad style for my Revs.

I got into kites with my power kites and that's how I learnt to do it so I've just stuck to it for those kites. The way I wind and unwind for those kites is as follows...

Attach lines to handles and stake the handles down, walk out the one side, go back to the handles and hold a line in each hand and walk it out again to undo any tangles ... then repeat for the other side. At that point I have 4 lines run out with no twists or tangles and I can unpack and setup my foil. Winding up is the reverse - detach the lines from the kite and pack the kite away, attach one side to a winder and wind up the lines, go back and repeat for the other side.

I usually leave my handles attached on my power kites since there's no need for different line strengths, lengths, etc on that kind of flying .. so I have only 2 or 3 line sets that I use, each with their own handles.

Technically I could wind iQuad style for those kites as well, but I just stick to the way I've learnt since it doesn't make much difference to me. The only real difference to me is that one has more walking and takes a few minutes extra. If I have to shave 5 minutes off my setup time just to fly, there wasn't enough time to fly in the first place.

Pick a system that works for you ... I'd take slow and no tangles over fast and knoted any day.

#6 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:49 AM

Aye, no problem... Whatever gets the job done and gets you flying.

For when you're ready, just in case you haven't seen this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuw3vBD50hs"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Cuw3vBD50hs[/url]

Over 9,000 viewings since February 23rd. Posted Image

Mate I've watched that tutorial so many times I just about know it verbatium Posted Image looks like I need a few more viewingsPosted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#7 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:58 AM

I use 2 winders (left and right lines) on all my power kites, but wind single winder iQuad style for my Revs.

I got into kites with my power kites and that's how I learnt to do it so I've just stuck to it for those kites. The way I wind and unwind for those kites is as follows...

Attach lines to handles and stake the handles down, walk out the one side, go back to the handles and hold a line in each hand and walk it out again to undo any tangles ... then repeat for the other side. At that point I have 4 lines run out with no twists or tangles and I can unpack and setup my foil. Winding up is the reverse - detach the lines from the kite and pack the kite away, attach one side to a winder and wind up the lines, go back and repeat for the other side.

I usually leave my handles attached on my power kites since there's no need for different line strengths, lengths, etc on that kind of flying .. so I have only 2 or 3 line sets that I use, each with their own handles.

Technically I could wind iQuad style for those kites as well, but I just stick to the way I've learnt since it doesn't make much difference to me. The only real difference to me is that one has more walking and takes a few minutes extra. If I have to shave 5 minutes off my setup time just to fly, there wasn't enough time to fly in the first place.

Pick a system that works for you ... I'd take slow and no tangles over fast and knoted any day.

Thats exactly what I intend to do kwmfPosted Image

#8 darknight

darknight
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

I must say, because I had so many tangles at first, was why I looked at different ways of winding, and found johns video, which I use all the time now. But I don't always end the same as johns, this I believe is due to line and handle lengths, but close enough most of the time to wrap up the last bit somehow, and it really works just leaving suspected tangles and twists until you are set up and ready to fly, as most do come out.
But ad said, fly how you like mate, do what works for you and have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users