Flew my first Rev!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 birwin353

birwin353
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

So yeasterday I flew my first rev, on loan from one of the wonderfull members here. I think I did pretty good for my first time and for not even seeing the video. The biggest problem I had was getting it off the ground because I have no stake. I would set it up kind of like my 2 line so its in the wind and by the time I got to the handles it had fallen over and I couldnt get it to stand up again to launch. It was a lot of walking back and forth lol. But I got a friend out to help launch and make it a little easier. I got some good flying in and right off the bat realized it is not a 2 line kite and handle movements dont turn the kite like i thought they would. I figured out the brakes turn the kite. I made the association in my head its like flying two kites at once, left and right. I got flying and had some sort of control some of the time and had a great time!! Cant wait to go out again today. More pratice and I may be able to control this thing :) I would like to also say thank you to the whole Rev community (especially Quaa714 for letting me use his kite!!) you are the nicest people I think Ive ever met. So Thank You!!

Brad

#2 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

W E L C O M E ~ T O ~ T H E . . .

D A R K S I D E ! Posted Image

This won't be the last time you hear this!
...May not be the first time either.... If I know your new Rev-friend Rich (aka the "Brat")!
Posted Image

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#3 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

So yeasterday I flew my first rev, on loan from one of the wonderfull members here. I think I did pretty good for my first time and for not even seeing the video. The biggest problem I had was getting it off the ground because I have no stake. I would set it up kind of like my 2 line so its in the wind and by the time I got to the handles it had fallen over and I couldnt get it to stand up again to launch. It was a lot of walking back and forth lol. But I got a friend out to help launch and make it a little easier. I got some good flying in and right off the bat realized it is not a 2 line kite and handle movements dont turn the kite like i thought they would. I figured out the brakes turn the kite. I made the association in my head its like flying two kites at once, left and right. I got flying and had some sort of control some of the time and had a great time!! Cant wait to go out again today. More pratice and I may be able to control this thing Posted Image I would like to also say thank you to the whole Rev community (especially Quaa714 for letting me use his kite!!) you are the nicest people I think Ive ever met. So Thank You!!

Brad

Hi Brad-

Congratulations!!!

If you're ever in the Jersey area (I'm sure you've already been told this) let us know and we'll fly together. That will speed up your learning curve BIG TIME!!! It's worth a trip up this way ;)

Any questions along the way, of course feel free to ask.

All the best and happy flying!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

And in case you are wondering, you dont need a posh kite stake, a decent sized screwdriver will work fine. I used one for quite a while.

Cople of points though, be careful you dont stick it in your leg or summat.

And once you are ready to launch the kite pick the screwdriver / stake up and carry it with you, gets a bit frustrating when you land / crash the kite and the stake is a couple of hundred yards away.

Welcome to the Revolution hope you have fun.

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

Welcome to the Rev family Brad, great folks you got out in your neck of the woods. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 birwin353

birwin353
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

Welcome to the Rev family Brad, great folks you got out in your neck of the woods. Posted Image

Thanks john! and let me say WOW! Seeing some of the stuff you do especially after flying a couple times. WOW! Unfortunatley I am not at home in my neck of the woods, I am deplyed to Guam and I think I have the only Rev on the island. So I'm learning solo. Its going good I had a lot more control today than yesterday. I did get a sweet stake, I askd metal shop to make me one and they came back with one of straight titanium! I probably have the strongest stake out there lol. I should have them make me some handles that would be cool :) These kites are a blast! Thanks for all the words and tips.

Brad

#7 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

I was going to say I could take care of the stake issue, but it looks like you have that handled. Anyway, Welcome to The Dark Side! I hope you do have a chance to meet with other fliers someday, makes flying so much more fun and you will learn more too.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

Brad,
There's a whole bunch of helpful REV pilots available in Virginia, . . .... Williamsburg, Richmond, Northfolk, that I know of off-hand. These folks are all associated with the Richmond Air Force Kite Club.

RAF coordinates a couple of festivals too, one targeted solely at novices, where you get a mentor and critiques after your efforts. You'd probably shadow judge events which you're not involved with directly. Or go practice with a mentor, one on one. It's around the middle of September and worthy of your consideration if you might be available.

Their other event is a formal competition running all categories, that takes place around the middle/end of June at a place called "Dory Park" by the Richmond airport, off of I-64 and Labrunum Avenue. It's very well attended 'cause of all the southern hospitality, (not necessarily the most ideal flying conditions <HA!>)

Meeting other folks at festivals and competitions is where you see the all latest stuff, (techniques, equipment & modifications) and you're with the comrades listening, learning, helping each other and entertaining.

Welcome to the dark side!

Edited by REVflyer, 24 July 2010 - 04:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users