Have you ever put hooks on your Rev

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

Have you ever put hooks on your Rev to pick objects up off the ground ?

Hooks on Revs can be a challenging and a fun thing to do especially when yours is the only kite on a beach and you are tired of just flying back and forth.

I believe using hooks actually helped me to get better control of my first Rev (Rev II) because you have to hold the kite in a hover so still to pick up an object .

Objects to pick up can be just about anything light that has a handle or way to grab it. Like small buckets. A friend made me a triangle out of rods. Plastic lawn dart hoops are my preference which are about the size of small fan belts . They lay flat on the ground (more challenge) Using the Rev hook, I have put them on tall telephone poles that were without wires and lowered the hoop all the way to the bottom of the pole and back up. Very lucky I did not snag my sail. It is also good to use an object that floats so you can pick it out of small still lakes or ponds.

Hooks – I use plastic coat hangers which can be cut and molded with heat into the hook you like. I have just used electrical tape to attach the hook to the end of leading edge rod next to the end cap.

Friends and I have passed objects back and forth in the air using Revs with hooks . Warning –this can be a recipe for disaster- you can put a hole in a sail or end up with 8 line spaghetti. Have done both of those.

Please tell me about your experiences with different types of hooks on Revs and the objects.

Bruce

#2 fungus

fungus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Bruce
i have never used hooks
but have used spikes to burst balloons and blown bubbles with wand on end of leading edge and a bowl of soap solution.
gave up because it got frustrating, might give it all a go again some time, including hooksPosted Image
there are of course REV artist's such as Dave Ellison from the uk who uses a brush on his REV

fungusPosted Image
wHind cHecks Har4 wHimps

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

After meeting Bruce, I put hooks on my Rev! But the punctures in my Rev 1 sail will tell you to be careful around others!!:kid_brooding: Sorry, Bruce had to throw you under the bus on that one! :kid_devlish: Now that my depth perception is bad, I took them off! But, I had fun when they were on!! Made 3 sided pyramids of fiberglass rods and clear tubing, then tied ribbon in the corners so they were easy to see!! Used the same plastic coat hangers and tape to secure them. They sure did teach me a lot of control!!

Edited by stroke victim, 20 July 2010 - 11:16 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

I used hooks on my wingtips when I flew on Venice beach in L.A., great fun for picking up ladies bikini tops when they'd taken them off for sunbathing.

Of course, that was 16-17 years ago. :D

Since then, I've seen folks do cool stuff with hooks... Picking up stuffed animals, balls, rings, all sorts of things.

Lee Sedgwick does a bit where he attaches a small bucket filled with candy to his wingtip, then turns the Rev over to dump it out for kids.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

I used hooks on my wingtips when I flew on Venice beach in L.A., great fun for picking up ladies bikini tops when they'd taken them off for sunbathing.

Of course, that was 16-17 years ago. Posted Image

Since then, I've seen folks do cool stuff with hooks... Picking up stuffed animals, balls, rings, all sorts of things.

Lee Sedgwick does a bit where he attaches a small bucket filled with candy to his wingtip, then turns the Rev over to dump it out for kids.

Bikini tops with a hook- Never heard that one before . Have to admit that put one big smile on my face.

John, You are a tormentor with your Rev like many of us. Evidently, you started your tormenting early on.

I enjoyed watching you take your Rev close up to people at this last Lincoln City festival.

Bruce

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Bruce, sky's the limit. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

More Kite Toys

Some time ago, Clint Funk and I took a stab at Rev mini basketball. Clint was great with knots from his Navy time so he made the Basketball hoop. I made us something to pick up the ball to attach to the Revs. It all worked pretty well .

Unfortunately, Clint passed away a few years ago. He is greatly missed.

Pictures of kite toys and Clint attached.

Bruce

IMG_3741.JPG Clint - Article.jpg

#8 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

I miss him a lot!!:sq-sad: He was a real friend to all of us that came down to the coast!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

we used a coat hanger, bent to the proper shape and a couple of barbie dolls on the beach in Ocean city (Sunfest) for Rev games once.

One of those dolls is without any pants/skirt,.... You bury both of them half way (can't tell who's fulled dressed now) in the sand. Then against a stop watch, you race to save the good Barbie, dig her up, drag her over to safety on the edge of the window and drop her into a life preserver circle.

You can't save the tramp though, gotta' go get the other Barbie, the good girl, the one wearing a complete set of clothing, that one, YEAH, save her instead. It was a howling fun time for a bunch of slightly intoxicated men in the fifties or beyond as the sun set!

#10 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

we used a coat hanger, bent to the proper shape and a couple of barbie dolls on the beach in Ocean city (Sunfest) for Rev games once.

One of those dolls is without any pants/skirt,.... You bury both of them half way (can't tell who's fulled dressed now) in the sand. Then against a stop watch, you race to save the good Barbie, dig her up, drag her over to safety on the edge of the window and drop her into a life preserver circle.

You can't save the tramp though, gotta' go get the other Barbie, the good girl, the one wearing a complete set of clothing, that one, YEAH, save her instead. It was a howling fun time for a bunch of slightly intoxicated men in the fifties or beyond as the sun set!

Sounds like soooo much fun!! My wife and I got a real good laugh on the way you wrote your story.

The rev's are capable of so much.

I wish there could be some kind of Rev games like that at all kite festivals. Fun, comedy, and enertaining.

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users