New Rev B Flyer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Safa

Safa
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

Am new to the Rev kite scene, only just picked up my 1st one, a Rev B Series last saturday at the Brighton Kite Festival (UK). Am not a 4 line virgin flyer though, as have owned a 4 line Sting power kite for the last few years, but have been seeking more of a challenge. So far am enjoying the challenge of flying them, the control is great.

Probably only had about 10 hours flying time so far but today was my 1st time in a strong wind 16mph with gusts upto 30mph according to the weather forecast. I setup the kite with the 3wrap spares and the additional 2wrap horizontal spar. Anyway after about 3 hours of flying one of the vertical spars snapped mid flight (about 25ft of the ground).

What am hoping, can you tell me
  • - Was I flying in to strong a wind (gusts) and I just got unlucky for it to snap.
  • - Being a new flyer, yes I have had a few hard crashes leading edge down, could this have weakened the spar.
  • - Could the spar have been defective.
I have ordered a replacement spar and cant wait to get back out there. Also I noticed you can get 4 wrap spares, maybe I should get some of those for stronger winds.

Regards

#2 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

I have ordered a replacement spar and cant wait to get back out there. Also I noticed you can get 4 wrap spares, maybe I should get some of those for stronger winds.

You might like to think about getting a vented B for these stronger wind conditions as it will be less of a battle to fly and result in less stretching of the sail - the regular vented B comes with 4 wrap and 3 wrap as standard.
Andy

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

• - Was I flying in to strong a wind (gusts) and I just got unlucky for it to snap

I would say this is most likely. 15mph is kinda pushing it on a full sail, especially when you don't have 4 wrap rods. I would recommend getting a full vent to allow you to take advantage of the upper wind range without fear of something breaking.

• - Being a new flyer, yes I have had a few hard crashes leading edge down, could this have weakened the spar.

I doubt it. Revs are surprisingly resilient when it comes to nose dives. Plus, I'm not really sure how crashing with the leading edge could really do enough damage to the vertical spars for them to snap, but I would not rule it out as a possibility. Anything is possible.

Maybe. I have had a day when the wind was quite light and I was flying with full race rods. While flying up for an up-and over (using 30foot lines) one of the vertical spars snapped. This could be because of a possible defect, or it could even be that it was winter, and I was flying in the snow....... maybe the rods froze a bit and became more brittle. Who knows. Stuff happens. Luckily, replacement spars are not terribly expensive (at least not here... this may not be the case in the uk).

Edited by Watty, 14 July 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Just recently got a 1.5 vented and am amazed at how much more control it offered over my older 1 full sail!! And this was with only a 3 wrap LE!! I am considering getting a 4 wrap LE to handle bigger winds if needed, but vents are good!!!:) Of course you'll want more stuff--- we all want more stuff!!!!!!!!:devil:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Am new to the Rev kite scene, only just picked up my 1st one, a Rev B Series last saturday at the Brighton Kite Festival (UK). Am not a 4 line virgin flyer though, as have owned a 4 line Sting power kite for the last few years, but have been seeking more of a challenge. So far am enjoying the challenge of flying them, the control is great.

Probably only had about 10 hours flying time so far but today was my 1st time in a strong wind 16mph with gusts upto 30mph according to the weather forecast. I setup the kite with the 3wrap spares and the additional 2wrap horizontal spar. Anyway after about 3 hours of flying one of the vertical spars snapped mid flight (about 25ft of the ground).

What am hoping, can you tell me

• - Was I flying in to strong a wind (gusts) and I just got unlucky for it to snap.

Regards

I'd go with a 30 mph gust taking that spar out on a full sail.

Now, if it was a LE rod and you put it in the water (Sammy's fault) and then yanked on it I'd say it was operator error... :kid_devlish:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#6 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Now, if it was a LE rod and you put it in the water (Sammy's fault) and then yanked on it I'd say it was operator error... Posted Image

-Alden

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#7 Safa

Safa
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

I had a feeling 30mph gusts might be to much, but when you have a week off and a new kite, I was going to be out flying.

Maybe my next Rev will be a vented one.

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

if you understand the wind window already from your power kites, then you can comprehend NOT flying in the dead center of the window during tough conditions. Practice inverted flight, as the kite offers a better chance of surviving brutally excessive winds (flying outside of the manufacturer's recommended wind range for example) in this flight orientation. Four wrapped frame members and a vented sail are excellent recommendations, you might also consider going to much heavier flying line strength, as that will add more drag and reduce the flight speed.

The single most important thing is to add more DOWN in your handle tuned leaders in very high winds. Inches!!! This will prevent the leading edge from ever getting square. Lean that sucker way back there!, . .... bleeding excess air pressure off of the leading edge at all times during flight. Work on inverted and reverse, over on the window's edge, try some slack line stuff too, it's safer out on the edge as things happen more slowly and dumping the air completely is only a inch or so further out (or a flick of the thumbs). Powering back up fully is only a step towards the center of the wind window and sharp snap of forward direction.

"tis better to under-frame than over", but there are times when you'll "use every trick in the book" to slow down and remain in control.

I won't even mention Magic Sticks (to prevent down spars from breaking in high winds).

#9 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:56 AM

Now, if it was a LE rod and you put it in the water (Sammy's fault) and then yanked on it I'd say it was operator error... Posted Image

-Alden

Lets not talk about it lol ahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!! btw post number 987690762309476209384620938462093865-298456-974650927465-298365-28365
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

Lets not talk about it lol ahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!! btw post number 987690762309476209384620938462093865-298456-974650927465-298365-28365

Getting up there Sammy, aren't you???!!!!Posted Image

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#11 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Getting up there Sammy, aren't you???!!!!Posted Image

yes sir mr rich!
post number 876204958620598236-90582375-90872-5817-4596823452-9840592365092376509782346509283645-29384679-83274-60823475-238467-23867
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hey Safa, bad luck about the rod. However as has been said the wind probably did it in for you.

Cheltenham huh, you are possibly the closest Ref flier to me.

I am near Malvern.

Have quite a bag of Revs and quite an assortment of Rods if you want to get together some time to try a Vented, Mid Vent or summat. ( I dont fly too well so have to blame it on whatever Rev I am flying at the time :kid_devlish: )

Drop me a PM if you like.

Welcom to the Forum, and the habit that is Revolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users