12 replies to this topic

#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

I took my SLE for it 1st fly and was shocked to find the lines ALL tangled and up to 6inch difference in length(I should have checked)but these were straight from the manufacture and I thought they would be ok.Well I guess I've got a lot of adjusting to do. I'll also make some longer leaders for the handles as they are just the standrad length with 1 knot.But despite all of this I had fun and I'm NOT giving up.Oh did I mention the wind was 60kph verrrrry interesting.
Now do I adjust the sleeving as JB says in his tutorialPosted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

The questions are:
- Where the lines original from Revolution or some provided by the kite dealer?
- Where the lines measured before or after you flew in 60Kph winds. A bit too strong for a REV SLE standard however possible.

The lines being all tangled could be an illusion. When you roll out the lines, shake them out first as they might appear tangled but really not tangled. A new set of lines that have never been used would not normally be tangled. Now if by chance the lines had been used, for what ever reason by someone else, they could have been tangled.

If I recall correctly, those Revs shipped by Revolution with lines these days all have Laser Pro lines and a black winder which I think has LaserPro on it. Seems to me they are sealed a their own plastic bag.

Now the line difference of 6 inches tends to make believe they might not be from Revolution. However mistakes do happen.

As for adjusting the sleeving on the lines, by all means as JB advises in his tutorial.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

There is also a possability that if you are not used to handling multiple lines (obviously I do not know how experienced you are) you could have put some tangles in the lines as you unwound them.

I have bought most of my lines from T at Thekiteshoppe and have never had any problem with them. I have made some myself and after the first flight have re-adjusted them. I have also bought some from other shops.

I ask the person at the shop "did you make these lines or did you buy them in" after that I check B4 I fly, if they are not adjusted correctly and they are bought in lines I will let the shop know the lengths were bad. If the shop made them and they were WAY out (only found this once) I just never use the shop again.

Best of luck with your adjustments, it is a good thing to learn. Let us know how you get on.

Oh and flying a full sail in 60k winds. You must be a REAL Superhero (avatar) :kid_devlish:

Edited by Baloo, 13 July 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#4 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

There is also a possability that if you are not used to handling multiple lines (obviously I do not know how experienced you are) you could have put some tangles in the lines as you unwound them.

I have bought most of my lines from T at Thekiteshoppe and have never had any problem with them. I have made some myself and after the first flight have re-adjusted them. I have also bought some from other shops.

I ask the person at the shop "did you make these lines or did you buy them in" after that I check B4 I fly, if they are not adjusted correctly and they are bought in lines I will let the shop know the lengths were bad. If the shop made them and they were WAY out (only found this once) I just never use the shop again.

Best of luck with your adjustments, it is a good thing to learn. Let us know how you get on.

Oh and flying a full sail in 60k winds. You must be a REAL Superhero (avatar) Posted Image

Nah just stupid
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#5 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

The questions are:
- Where the lines original from Revolution or some provided by the kite dealer?
- Where the lines measured before or after you flew in 60Kph winds. A bit too strong for a REV SLE standard however possible.

The lines being all tangled could be an illusion. When you roll out the lines, shake them out first as they might appear tangled but really not tangled. A new set of lines that have never been used would not normally be tangled. Now if by chance the lines had been used, for what ever reason by someone else, they could have been tangled.

If I recall correctly, those Revs shipped by Revolution with lines these days all have Laser Pro lines and a black winder which I think has LaserPro on it. Seems to me they are sealed a their own plastic bag.

Now the line difference of 6 inches tends to make believe they might not be from Revolution. However mistakes do happen.

As for adjusting the sleeving on the lines, by all means as JB advises in his tutorial.

It's a ridgey didge Rev,I probably tangled them.They were figure 8 wound if that makes a difference.They do have the LaserPro on a black winder. And as we say here s**t happens. Anyway,the exercise of equalizing them will do me good.I'll post how I went.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have seen geniuses and engineers that have terrible times unwinding quad lines trying to use their whatever logic.
Figure 8 winding is what I learned and I still use without any hitches. I see zero reason for me to change.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

... the exercise of equalizing them will do me good ...

Please be careful to keep your top lines together and your bottom lines together when you equalize ... they should be clearly marked. Now that you've flown in heavy winds, the top lines have seen larger forces than the bottom lines. The result of the extra force on the top lines is that they have been stretched (creep) more than the bottom lines. When you next use the lines in heavy winds, put the bottom lines on top to help equalize the creep ... you'll probably have to re-equalize after that flight.

Cheers,
Tom

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

I have seen geniuses and engineers that have terrible times unwinding quad lines trying to use their whatever logic.
Figure 8 winding is what I learned and I still use without any hitches. I see zero reason for me to change.

You make me feel a lot better with your comment JohnPosted Image

#10 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Please be careful to keep your top lines together and your bottom lines together when you equalize ... they should be clearly marked. Now that you've flown in heavy winds, the top lines have seen larger forces than the bottom lines. The result of the extra force on the top lines is that they have been stretched (creep) more than the bottom lines. When you next use the lines in heavy winds, put the bottom lines on top to help equalize the creep ... you'll probably have to re-equalize after that flight.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom I'll keep that in mind but I don't think I'll be flying those kind of winds again.I was just anxious to try my new RevPosted Image

#11 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Tom I'll keep that in mind but I don't think I'll be flying those kind of winds again.

Yes you will
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#12 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Yes you will

You know what..........your probably rightPosted Image

#13 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

It's a ridgey didge Rev,I probably tangled them.They were figure 8 wound if that makes a difference.They do have the LaserPro on a black winder. And as we say here s**t happens. Anyway,the exercise of equalizing them will do me good.I'll post how I went.

Since then I've laid out my lines in the backyard and did find that in fact my top L-R lines were equal as were my bottom L-R onesPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users