19 replies to this topic

#1 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

I have two line sets, a 75 and a 100 ft. I've been using the 75, just because it takes up less flying space on the beach. I know I should use the 75 for low wind, but other than that, I have no idea. :blink: help the newbie! thanks.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#2 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

Unless you are flying with a team I think it is pretty much a personal matter. Like you I fly at the beach and flying can be hard if not impossible to accomplish with 100 + of line out. Lets face it we take a ton of acreage when doing that. If I am out on a weekend or a crowded beach I will normally take out a 30 set. Even with that I have still had folks plop down a blanket between my kite and myself. I also like to get a quick fly in on the way to work during the week and I can get the 30 set out and in quicker which gives me more time to fly. The last benefit of flying the short lines more often is that when it is time to get out the long lines things seem so much more forgiving and such a big window and tons of time to do your moves.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

as mr denny said it all depends on what you like best i like all diffrent line lengths but i also have them for diffrent winds shorter lines for lighter winds and longer for heavier. keep in mind that shorter lines will make the kite go faster due to less drag
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:48 AM

I have two line sets, a 75 and a 100 ft. I've been using the 75, just because it takes up less flying space on the beach. I know I should use the 75 for low wind, but other than that, I have no idea. :blink: help the newbie! thanks.

Hi Katrina,

Welcome to the forum!

I see you are in Portland. Do you ever come out to west Delta Park to fly?

#5 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:04 AM

johnnmitchell just posted elswware some good and interesting info on this. I would listen to the expert! I always do.
http://www.revkites....h...

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

johnnmitchell just posted elswware some good and interesting info on this. I would listen to the expert! I always do.
http://www.revkites....h...

My above mentioned statement was really meant for those competing in competitions.

For the beach and having just plain fun, the majority of the time I personally prefer the shorter lines.
You should determine for yourself which lines are best for you relative to the situation at the time.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

shorter lines : less space, faster kite, quick set up & tear down

longer lines : more forgiving, bigger window

I use shorter lines when the wind is light, when I just feel like goofing around, or when I don't have a lot of time to fly. The longer lines I use when the wind is a little heavier, when I have more time, or when I want to practice some more complex tricks.

Hope this helps,
Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

When Lynn and I started flying we used the 85' that came with our Revs. I have since shortened them to 75' which is the maximum length allowed at Kite Party in Huntington Beach (except for demos, iQuad and the like).
When we fly together we use 100' (except at Kite Party we were on 75"). With more flyers, say four or more we use 120.

75' = faster kite, less window

100' = a little slower kite, but much more room to fly.

120' = lots of room to fly, especially with others as those at the ends of the line are already flying away from the center of the window. Caution: You need a passport to get back and forth from your kite to your handles. It's an 80 yard round trip!! :lol:

If there is so little space to fly that we need 30' or 40' lines we go elswhere.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#9 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone, this was exactly what I needed to know. I haven't been doing this long enough to know what my preference is, so this helps as a starting point. Looks like I may be making some shorter lines soon....

My husband keeps insisting it's easier to fly on 100 ft, he remembers hearing that somewhere. But I remember that we were told the opposite. Every time I lay out the 75 line, he tells me I'm wrong. <_<

At WSIKF, he set me up with the 100 ft lines, and I ended up walking way way way up the beach, trying to keep the kite in the air, with just a breeze. That was the first time either of us had flown it. I thought I pretty much sucked, after that. Last weekend, I finally got some nice sessions in at Lincoln City, with nice wind, and it turns out I don't actually suck! I think all the light wind frustration actually helped, even though it seemed pretty pointless at the time.

So thanks for your help and Theresa, yes, I'll definitely try to make it out to delta park. If you see a couple of big kites up (dh's dept), and a rev with a girl on the end of it, it's probably us. ;) :rolleyes:

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

Glad we all could help.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#11 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

Katrina.......Does your husband fly a Rev? If so, do you two fly together yet?

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#12 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

Katrina.......Does your husband fly a Rev? If so, do you two fly together yet?

Jim

Right now we only have the one rev. My husband can fly it, but he's not as into it. He does the big kites.

We'll be getting a new one next week, but it's actually for my mom. I gave her a lesson last week, and now she's hooked, too. I've got to work on precision before I even think about flying with anyone, though.

PS Thanks to this board, I checked my line lengths a couple of days ago, and found they differed by almost 2 inches, yikes. all fixed now. :P

#13 monoxide

monoxide
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:39 AM

i just got a b-series not too long ago and was wondering if i should shorten my lines even more that what they are for light wind flying? i believe it comes with 85' but in the last few weeks i havent even had a 4mph wiwnd here... your suggestions? :confused!:

#14 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

You can certainly try it... A lot of people prefer shorter lines in light wind, although I generally prefer between 90-120' of 50 lb lines.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#15 monoxide

monoxide
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

You can certainly try it...

what length do you think i should use? :confused!: ....you fly in san diego right? B)

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

I have 2 sets of lines. One of them is 30' by 90#. I use that on light wind days or when I feel like doing some 3D flying. I also have a 120' by 90# set that I use on heavier wind days and when I wan plenty of room to practice.

If you're having trouble finding wind above 4mph, I would shorten it down to somewhere between 50-70'. And if you're very comortable with cutting a lot off you lines, you could cut as short as 30' then have an extra 55' set!

Another option, if you really like the length of line that you're using, buy a set of 50-80# line of the same length.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

what length do you think i should use? :confused!: ....you fly in san diego right? B)

If you fly at Mission Bay Park, you are ok on 100ft, but more is pushing it.
When I fly there, I usually use 75 ft. for normally flying.
When I want to work on some tricks, I usually go down to 50ft.
For pairs or team I go to 100ft. in that park. With 120ft. it is possible, but you are not leaving yourself much room.
Those are my personal preferences.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#18 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

I fly in Portland OR, often less wind (and worse quality) than San Diego.

If you're flying at the end of Seaport Village, 100' should be fine... And I'd recommend a set of 50# for those light wind days.

But, if you've got the resources, go ahead and try a shorter set of 60' or so as an experiment... There are other threads in this forum regarding line lengths, as well as on the Kitelife forum ( http://www.kitelife.com/forum ).

While I have reasons for the lengths I use, personal style also plays a part in choosing length.

Only trying it will fully answer your questions. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#19 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

i used to love my 100 footers until i got my 120 footers now when the winds are great thats what i use
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#20 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

Well from another viewpoint, when i first started I used the 85' that came with the kite then after flying with the people I do I started using 50' (mostly for crowd control) it takes some getting used to using short lines as everything is faster.

What I can tell you is fly on as short as you can comfortably while learning it will hone your control skills more than you realize, this year i tried a set of 120' on someone elses kite and I flew it like I was super rev man. I couldnt believe it was like flying in slow motion compaired to what i was used to.

When I fly with short lines I try to fly as slow and controlled as possible especially in the higher winds it's really challenging and I feel it's helped me tremendously.

Good Luck,
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users