119 replies to this topic

#41 John Barresi

John Barresi

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

You might need an AKA bracelet (not membership), but would have to sign off on a waiver.

Still formulating all of this amidst all my other work at the moment... Just find me at WSIKF, nobody will be left out.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.comkitemap.org | Rev Tutorials
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#42 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Do you mean before, during and after the actual mega-fly? You don't want this general chatter on there do you?

I’m getting dangerously close to playing “Forum Administrator” here and I certainly don’t want to cross the line and tread on anybody’s toes. So I have to accept that the thread goes where it goes or more accurately where the forum chooses to take it. But as I have already said, it was, and still is, my hope that it would grow into an ongoing forum resource and for that to happen it will need to be steady supply of new experiences, a regular supply of mega grid virgins.

[Note to Self: Shut up Bob or you will overstep the mark here. ]
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#43 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I will, for sure, post all the mega-fly thoughts I have on the subject when I get there on your thread. This will include any of my rambling/grumbling leading up to it from practice grids and the actual official attempts. Ideally I'll post something each evening as I decompress from the day.

Bart

#44 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I will, for sure, post all the mega-fly thoughts I have on the subject when I get there on your thread. This will include any of my rambling/grumbling leading up to it from practice grids and the actual official attempts. Ideally I'll post something each evening as I decompress from the day.

Bart

From memory, I did not have great internet access when I was last in Long Beach which I think was 2001. Is there now good wi-fi access?

I suspect that my phone will be redundant as previously...

Maybe we could collate postings as we all "decompress" <grins>

Felix

#45 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

From memory, I did not have great internet access when I was last in Long Beach which I think was 2001. Is there now good wi-fi access?

I suspect that my phone will be redundant as previously...

Maybe we could collate postings as we all "decompress" <grins>

Felix

The motel we are staying at is advertising wireless internet so I am hoping that is the case. I will be totally lost if I have to go a week with no online access. In fact, I can safely say that it would probably ruin my week to discover no internet access when I get there.

Bart

#46 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

The motel we are staying at is advertising wireless internet so I am hoping that is the case. I will be totally lost if I have to go a week with no online access. In fact, I can safely say that it would probably ruin my week to discover no internet access when I get there.

Bart

It would be problematic not to have access, I am sure. I will be staying somewhere where there may be no access and so may have to rely on public facilities...

I suspect that there are use-able facilities!

Felix

#47 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Almost all hotels now have WiFi. You can also find WiFi at many restaurants like McDonald's, Starbucks etc. Worldmark Resort, where I and many others are staying, has excellent WiFi, and it is the closest building to where the Rev field is set up. Cell phone signal is also excellent on the beach, and is also 3G for internet phones.

Don't worry all, we are not a 3rd world country, even in small coastal towns such as Long Beach............ :sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#48 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Almost all hotels now have WiFi. You can also find WiFi at many restaurants like McDonald's, Starbucks etc. Worldmark Resort, where I and many others are staying, has excellent WiFi, and it is the closest building to where the Rev field is set up. Cell phone signal is also excellent on the beach, and is also 3G for internet phones.

Don't worry all, we are not a 3rd world country, even in small coastal towns such as Long Beach............ :sign_kitelife:

Are you suggesting that Vodafone cell phones work there now <grins>

Felix

#49 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

You might need an AKA bracelet (not membership), but would have to sign off on a waiver.

Still formulating all of this amidst all my other work at the moment... Just find me at WSIKF, nobody will be left out.

Let's just go over this one more time for those of us who have never been to this.

We do not need to be an AKA member to fly, but if we want to be insured we want to sign this sheet and get a bracelet or we have to be an AKA member to get the insurance aspect?

Sorry if this is a dense question. I would think being insured would be a good thing.

Bart

#50 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Don't worry all, we are not a 3rd world country, even in small coastal towns such as Long Beach............ Posted Image

I am specfically remembering something from last year that forum members were saying they had such poor internet access that they were unable to post photos/videos due to speed problems. Not implying 3rd world internet access, more poor access for whatever reasons.

Bart

#51 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Worldmark Resort, where I and many others are staying, has excellent WiFi, and it is the closest building to where the Rev field is set up. Cell phone signal is also excellent on the beach, and is also 3G for internet phones.

Walt!! We have WiFi in the lobby, but it's a paid thingy with a username and password. I pay for access to it, so you can use it in your unit, with a router(s) that I will be checking out at the front desk.
Just wanted to clarify, so nobody got the wrong idea....

There is no Starbucks in LB. But...there is Long Beach Coffee, just a block off Sid Snyder, that has internet access. JB may know what kind, as he has been in there.

#52 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Let's just go over this one more time for those of us who have never been to this.

We do not need to be an AKA member to fly, but if we want to be insured we want to sign this sheet and get a bracelet or we have to be an AKA member to get the insurance aspect?

Sorry if this is a dense question. I would think being insured would be a good thing.

Bart

Bart, no this is a good question! Not dense at all!

Basically, by signing the waiver, you get the wrist band, can fly in organized events, in the sanctioned field areas, and as a non-AKA member you agree to waive liabilty.

Hope that helps!

See you on the beach!
Theresa

#53 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

So, no insurance unless you are a AKA member?

Bart

#54 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Bart

I can sign you up!!! :)

#55 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Bart

Cheap to sign up and they have a membership drive going on.

I've been to a couple with AKA membership and a couple without. The cool thing is that if you are an AKA member you get the magazine and will probably see pictures of the event. If you are lucky you'll make the cover and then you can make a rock and roll song "on the cover of kiting magazine".. :kid_smartass:

You can fly either way but signing the festival sheet protects them.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#56 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Cheap to sign up and they have a membership drive going on.

I've been to a couple with AKA membership and a couple without. The cool thing is that if you are an AKA member you get the magazine and will probably see pictures of the event. If you are lucky you'll make the cover and then you can make a rock and roll song "on the cover of kiting magazine".. Posted Image

You can fly either way but signing the festival sheet protects them.

-Alden

Hi Alden-

Right you are. ... and to add one little thing: being an A.K.A. member gives you discounts to many kite shops; usually 10% or so.

See you all on the beach. Posted Image
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#57 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well, an AKA membership for me would never pay for itself since I do not buy that much stuff, but I would prefer having insurance at this event so may need to look at doing this while I am there. Is there different levels of membership? I have no use for the magazine and hate paying for paper. Is there a version that doesn't come with the mag?

Bart

#58 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Well, an AKA membership for me would never pay for itself since I do not buy that much stuff, but I would prefer having insurance at this event so may need to look at doing this while I am there. Is there different levels of membership? I have no use for the magazine and hate paying for paper. Is there a version that doesn't come with the mag?

Bart

The most basic AKA membership is $40 for 1 year, $78 for 2 years, and $116 for 3 years. It comes with full AKA membership and Kiting Magazine shipped via 3rd class mail. The other types of membership really just push the shipping priority up on the magazine. I don't think there is an option to get the membership without the magazine.

Spence "Watty" Watson

forumsig-01.png

#59 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

14 Aug 2010 15:10 is our departure date and time from the UK.

The BA strike is postponed, the big oil leak in the gulf is temporarily contained, the volcano in Iceland has calmed down...

Four weeks is a long time for anxieties to fester <grins>

Felix

#60 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

14 Aug 2010 15:10 is our departure date and time from the UK.

The BA strike is postponed, the big oil leak in the gulf is temporarily contained, the volcano in Iceland has calmed down...

Four weeks is a long time for anxieties to fester <grins>

Felix

Hi Felix-

Festering anxieties.... lol....

It is going to well worth any of those Posted Image moments!!!

No worries on my end, just can't wait to fly with everyone Posted Image .

Four weeks and two days for my very early flight!!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users