7 replies to this topic

#1 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

One more thing 'To Do' for the week! Fireworks display!

The city does a fantastic job!

We just got back from the 4th of July weekend at Long Beach.

It was fantastic! Huge booms and big showers of color. And they went on and on. Must have been at least a half hour show.
It was overcast, but the clouds were high enough that they did interfere with the view.
The wind was blowing maybe 15 to 18. It was cold. We had a unit on the ground floor.
I really wasn't sure if we could see the show from there. Didn't want to go out on the beach, dunes, boardwalk...and freeze. Brrrrr.... I'm admittedly a wwwwwsssssse about foul weather, prefer warm and dry and cozy. Yeah, a fair weather flyer. :kid_loved:
Well, we sat on the deck, me wrapped up in my down blanket, hot coffee in hand.....and saw a wonderful show!
It was well worth it.

I'm SURE the weather will be much warmer by August! Although I do remember a few WSIKF's sitting out there on the sand in the dark in the rain...huddled together....having a wonderful time freezing together.

Oh yes, and I think the night fly preceeds the fireworks? Hmmmmm....John? Anybody remember?

So bring lights for kites too! And find Scott Slater and sign up for the night flys :)

6 weeks to go!

T

#2 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

One more thing 'To Do' for the week! Fireworks display!

The city does a fantastic job!

We just got back from the 4th of July weekend at Long Beach.

It was fantastic! Huge booms and big showers of color. And they went on and on. Must have been at least a half hour show.
It was overcast, but the clouds were high enough that they did interfere with the view.
The wind was blowing maybe 15 to 18. It was cold. We had a unit on the ground floor.
I really wasn't sure if we could see the show from there. Didn't want to go out on the beach, dunes, boardwalk...and freeze. Brrrrr.... I'm admittedly a wwwwwsssssse about foul weather, prefer warm and dry and cozy. Yeah, a fair weather flyer. :kid_loved:
Well, we sat on the deck, me wrapped up in my down blanket, hot coffee in hand.....and saw a wonderful show!
It was well worth it.

I'm SURE the weather will be much warmer by August! Although I do remember a few WSIKF's sitting out there on the sand in the dark in the rain...huddled together....having a wonderful time freezing together.

Oh yes, and I think the night fly preceeds the fireworks? Hmmmmm....John? Anybody remember?

So bring lights for kites too! And find Scott Slater and sign up for the night flys :)

6 weeks to go!

T

If I remember correctly, IQuad did an amazing fly with lighted kites during the fireworks last year. (Am I confabulating my time points?)

I do know for sure it was "freezing" cold last year. Much nicer the year before. Our midwest and east coast friends would certainly laugh at our idea of cold, but be prepared.

Great fireworks at WSIKF last year - and much closer than most fireworks displays.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#3 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Yes it is night fly then followed by fireworks. TONS of fun and really spectacular to see.

I believe some of our first team sets have some nice ember burns from a couple years back lol. oops lil too close to those fireworks ;)

#4 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Team Island Quad (Terry, Willow, Brad, Pete and Mario) will be there with all our lights too :devil: :kid_smartass:

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#5 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Here are some time exposures, of IQUAD's lit kites in a Blender and with fireworks enjoy...
Cant wait maybe this year I can use a tripod and get some really good shots, LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• FireworksIquad.jpg
  • Blender.jpg
  • quadart.jpg

Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Can't wait to see what that kind photography does with SIX pilots. <grin>

Traditionally, the night fly cycles through performances (with open flying all around), then iQuad closes the performances before and through the fireworks. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

Can't wait to see what that kind photography does with SIX pilots. <grin>

Traditionally, the night fly cycles through performances (with open flying all around), then iQuad closes the performances before and through the fireworks. :)

I highly recommend all spectators and participants walking around out there to

HAVE A FLASHLIGHT WITH YOU! It's really dark on the beach at night. Very cool, but hard to see where you're going!

#8 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

I'm bringing lights. I know Kite Cowboy (Paul) is as well. This should be a lot of fun!

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users