3 replies to this topic

#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

When I got my 1.5sle it has the large hollow light weight rods with it and a skinnier set of light weight rods also,please excues my ignorance but can I put the skinnier ones in the big ones for extra strength and would this be to any advantage?Posted Image
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

When I got my 1.5sle it has the large hollow light weight rods with it and a skinnier set of light weight rods also,please excues my ignorance but can I put the skinnier ones in the big ones for extra strength and would this be to any advantage?Posted Image

Nope, the 1/4" rods are not meant to go inside the larger diameter SLE rods to give it extra strength. They won't fit due to the inner ferrules.
The 1/4" rods are meant to replace the SLE rods for lighter wind condition, more precision and etc.
Here is how to change rods:
- Remove end caps from the end of the SLE rod. Don't remove end caps from the kite because the same caps will be used for the 1/4" rods.
- Remove the complete SLE rod set from the leading edge sleeve.
- Insert 1/4" rod set into leading edge sleeve and put the end caps over the ends of the 1/4" rods.
For the SLE rods the end cap goes into the SLE rod, but you must have the rubber ring on the end cap so the SLE rod does not cut the bungee.
You can double up 1/4 inch rods side by side in the leading edge sleeve. It is next to impossible to double a 1/4" rod side by side with the SLE rod. There is simply not enough room in the leading edge sleeve.

Have Fun!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Johnn,is the middle SLE rod easy to get out?
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Johnn,is the middle SLE rod easy to get out?

When you know the technique it is quite easy.
You need to have one of the end rods attached to it at the ferrule. With a slight pressure of you hand on the side at around the ferrule section, pull the end rod and the middle rod will come out with it.

John M

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users