8 replies to this topic

#1 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

Okay...We have experimented now with a 2-stack (I know...but we really can't afford more kites to add or we certainly would!) with the lines between the 2 at about 4 1/2 feet. We are using my B-Pro as the lead and my B series as the trailing kite. Using 90# line between them. (Not sure if that matters much, but...)

The first question is regarding pull. It's VERY noticeable that the stack (even with only 2 kites) has about 4x the pull of a single rev. This was expected as we have read about that already. The question is: Which of the kites has the most need for a heavier frame, front or back? (We only have one 3-wrap frame and want to be sure to have that in the one most likely to break. (The other frame is racerods...) I would think the front kite has the most stress on it.

The second question has probably been asked before but I haven't noticed anything on it. The kites bob quite a bit when hovering, which is understandable due to the wind shadow on the back kite. But the question is: Is there any way to reduce that at all? With the 2 kite stack (maybe not more?) the bobble is quite dramatic and makes for interesting flying, but we are wondering if there is any way to lessen it.

Thanx in advance and sorry if the questions have been asked before....

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Okay...We have experimented now with a 2-stack (I know...but we really can't afford more kites to add or we certainly would!) with the lines between the 2 at about 4 1/2 feet. We are using my B-Pro as the lead and my B series as the trailing kite. Using 90# line between them. (Not sure if that matters much, but...)

The distance between the two REVs has an effect upon the pull. As the distance is reduced the pull will be reduced. You will probably want to decide yourself what distance you prefer. A good starting point is around 2/3 the width of the type of REV you are training.

The first question is regarding pull. It's VERY noticeable that the stack (even with only 2 kites) has about 4x the pull of a single rev. This was expected as we have read about that already. The question is: Which of the kites has the most need for a heavier frame, front or back? (We only have one 3-wrap frame and want to be sure to have that in the one most likely to break. (The other frame is racerods...) I would think the front kite has the most stress on it.

You definitely want the tougher frame on the front. preferably a 4 wrap frame.

The second question has probably been asked before but I haven't noticed anything on it. The kites bob quite a bit when hovering, which is understandable due to the wind shadow on the back kite. But the question is: Is there any way to reduce that at all? With the 2 kite stack (maybe not more?) the bobble is quite dramatic and makes for interesting flying, but we are wondering if there is any way to lessen it.

The bobbing around can be caused by several fractures. The main one is the train line lengths must be within a millimeter or two. They must be the same type of line with no stretching such as Spectra. The age of sails can also have a small influence. Mixing old sails with new sails is known to crate wobbling. I have heard that some like to add a slight forward tilt on the last REV to stabilize the train and help it keep from wobbling. I have not tried that on REVs.

Thanx in advance and sorry if the questions have been asked before....

--TaK

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Something else!
When you have the train lines installed on both REVs, measure the distance from front rod to back rod to insure that connections are consistent on all seven train lines.
BTW, you should have seven train lines, one at each bridle connection point.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Strongest rods in the front kite as all the stress is on that kite.

To reduce the amount of pull, take about two inches out of your top lines (move the connection point 2 inches closer to your hands on the top, or let out 2 inches on the bottoms).

To reduce the amount of "chasing" between the two kites, shorten the lower two train lines on the back kite about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The actual amount of adjustments will depend on the kites and how they fly. Take out a little, try it, take a little more, try it...stop when you get the best amount. :)

Hope that helps.

#5 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Something else!
When you have the train lines installed on both REVs, measure the distance from front rod to back rod to insure that connections are consistent on all seven train lines.
BTW, you should have seven train lines, one at each bridle connection point.

Yeah...we have the 7 lines, but if a millimeter matters that much, I think that's what is causing it. There is an age difference in the sails, but prolly not that much more stretch...ALL my revs get beat up pretty well...

Does anyone SELL stacking lines? I haven't seen any anywhere.

From what I read, 4 1/2 feet is the minimum length that should be used. Is that not the case?

Thanks folks.

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Yeah...we have the 7 lines, but if a millimeter matters that much, I think that's what is causing it. There is an age difference in the sails, but prolly not that much more stretch...ALL my revs get beat up pretty well...

Does anyone SELL stacking lines? I haven't seen any anywhere.

From what I read, 4 1/2 feet is the minimum length that should be used. Is that not the case?

Thanks folks.

--TaK

REV makes and sells stacking lines through their dealer network. Your local kite store may have them and/or could acquire them from Revolution.
What length of stack lines should be used is more personal preference. The stack lines from REV are the length that they found to their satisfaction in testing, thus would be a good starting point. What is that length? I don't know.

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Your local Rev dealer should have these, or can get them. If you don't have a local Rev dealer, then we have them in stock. You can order here:
http://www.awindofch...cessories-parts

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

fly the back kite
The more kites you add into the stack, the more this statement becomes of primary importance!

fly the back kite, it has farther to travel

don't take a well flying stack apart,
remove the down spars, collapse all the train lines towards the center and roll the entire package up without dismantling the leading edges.
Get a big tube for the roof rack on the vehicle.
Be the show wherever
you go!

fly the back kite

All stacks bounce if you try to hold 'em stationary,
even with the tightened-up bottom (that's kinda' scary to read, isn't it?!) on the back kite

no stack wants to fly backwards either, that's why you tune the "down" out and lessen the pull from the beginning

#9 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

fly the back kite
The more kites you add into the stack, the more this statement becomes of primary importance!

fly the back kite, it has farther to travel

don't take a well flying stack apart,
remove the down spars, collapse all the train lines towards the center and roll the entire package up without dismantling the leading edges.
Get a big tube for the roof rack on the vehicle.
Be the show wherever
you go!

fly the back kite

All stacks bounce if you try to hold 'em stationary,
even with the tightened-up bottom (that's kinda' scary to read, isn't it?!) on the back kite

no stack wants to fly backwards either, that's why you tune the "down" out and lessen the pull from the beginning

I can't fly the back kite because I can't SEE the back kite...lol

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users