Repair question

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Revelation

Revelation
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

Purchased a barresi rev i have been wanting on saturday at the great lakes kite festival. Bought it at 12:00 broke it by 12:15. Broke a spar but more importantly put a 1 inch tear in the sail. What is the repair procedure for this.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Purchased a barresi rev i have been wanting on saturday at the great lakes kite festival. Bought it at 12:00 broke it by 12:15. Broke a spar but more importantly put a 1 inch tear in the sail. What is the repair procedure for this.

That's real hard! Had the same happen to me back in 1991, however it was a long tear.
Get your self some clear ripstop repair tape and patch it very carefully on the back side. You could also carefully sew around the edges of the tape to help it stay flat and keep sand off of the sticky. A few stitches across the tape should reinforce it a bit.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

www. tear aid.com that tape works the best
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

www. tear aid.com that tape works the best

There might be a problem with tear aid. According to their Web Site it does stretch.
Ripstop repair tape is ripstop, thus stretching like ripstop.
I personally would use the ripstop tape for my kites.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 Fool

Fool
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

For a 1" or smaller tear put some clear tape on the front side of the sail to hold the tear aligned at the edges. Then get some super glue gel and lightly coat a narrow area over the tear line. Wait for it to dry and remove the tape. Hardly noticeable and should last for a long time. I suspect you were flying with the 2 wrap frame in those winds from Sat. I'd suggest using the 3 wrap in anything over 10-12.
Chris Taylor

#6 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

Sorry to hear about that. What a disappointment!
I second Fool's method of repair.
Saturday was a good day for a vented kite. Then non-vented would have been pretty speedy!

Did we meet out there? I flew with iQuad and spent a lot of time in the "how to fly" field.
I can't tell from your profile, but If you live anywhere in the Illinois area, click on the club link below and maybe we can meet up at a festival this weekend or next. I'd be happy to help you get back in the air and offer any tips you might find helpful.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

For a 1" or smaller tear put some clear tape on the front side of the sail to hold the tear aligned at the edges. Then get some super glue gel and lightly coat a narrow area over the tear line. Wait for it to dry and remove the tape. Hardly noticeable and should last for a long time. I suspect you were flying with the 2 wrap frame in those winds from Sat. I'd suggest using the 3 wrap in anything over 10-12.

Stick an SLE in that baby and you won't ever break it. Course...don't let John see ya do that. :lol:

#8 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Stick an SLE in that baby and you won't ever break it. Course...don't let John see ya do that. :lol:

I'd meant to suggest to John that it get made in such a way that it was impossible to fit an SLE in there

:D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#9 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

Try using Insignia cloth. For those not familliar with this stuff. It is available in Poleseter or Dacron and is used for putting letters and pin striping on sails. For most repairs you won't have to even sew it. The glue is made to stick to rip stop nylon.
Available from all sail makers in widths from 1" to 54". Avialable in black white red blue green and yellow. see Challenge sailcloth or North cloth sail divisions.
Maybe T has some at The Kite Shoppe?
Tedlar tape is another product. (clear with reinforcement)
If you have any problems finding the stuff let me know.
Bazzer ;)

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

There might be a problem with tear aid. According to their Web Site it does stretch.
Ripstop repair tape is ripstop, thus stretching like ripstop.
I personally would use the ripstop tape for my kites.

john you are right i only use the tape for small rips big ones would require the ripstop tape
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

Try using Insignia cloth. For those not familliar with this stuff. It is available in Poleseter or Dacron and is used for putting letters and pin striping on sails. For most repairs you won't have to even sew it. The glue is made to stick to rip stop nylon.
Available from all sail makers in widths from 1" to 54". Avialable in black white red blue green and yellow. see Challenge sailcloth or North cloth sail divisions.
Maybe T has some at The Kite Shoppe?
Tedlar tape is another product. (clear with reinforcement)
If you have any problems finding the stuff let me know.
Bazzer ;)

Hi Bazz!

Yep....have both...Tedlar and Insignia

:)

#12 Revelation

Revelation
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

what happened is i got line wrap and before i could clear it the corner hit ground breaking a vertical spar. I think when the spar broke it put the tear in the sail. Thanks for all the suggestions

#13 Revelation

Revelation
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

Just wanted to give an update. I used the super glue method to repair my sail and, it seems to be holding great. Best of all you can barely notice it. Thanks everyone for your help.

#14 rmitchell

rmitchell
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

I had a very similar problem with my b series. It was my first flight as well I didn't break any spars but when I was putting my rev away I noticed more of a tear it didn't really look like a puncture hole. I was wondering if it was possible to have a weak spot in the fabic or maybe I hit somthing in the grass when I crashed. But my main reason for this post is that john mentioned said to use clear ripstop tape to mend the tear but I was unable to locate any and also the super glue fix mentioned lower on the page does it matter which super glue or tape you use on that method? I would appreciate any help in this matter I'm really bummed that I got a tear on my first flight and want to fix it asap so I can get back out there and fly

p.s here is a pic of the tear

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0137.JPG

#15 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

I too had a rod go just a couple of minutes into a maiden flight too, an SLE in about 10 knots. In my case the sail was not damaged but the leading edge pocket was torn through - it happened after the rod broke while I tried to wrestle the unruly broken kite back to the ground. If this is what has happened to yours too, I don't believe the glue solution will offer enough strength in the leading edge - remember it is built of dacron rather than ripstop, and this because it needs to be stronger.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Fools repair method is fool proof.Tried and tested.
Some other goodns to consider ive not herd before,Ta for that

Have a great bank holiday weeeeekend boys and girls

BRIAN...

#17 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

I haven't tried it on ripstop Nylon, but on Polyester fabrics, CA glue repairs have worked better than anything else I've tried, short of sewing a new panel on.

All tapes repairs show through the sail and often shrink, discolour, peel or get encrusted with dust and sand.

CA glue repairs (when done correctly) are nearly invisible and seem to be as strong as the original fabric.

Here's one done on one of my dual line [BAN!] kites:

impact_ca_glue_repair.jpg

#18 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

I had a very similar problem with my b series. It was my first flight as well I didn't break any spars but when I was putting my rev away I noticed more of a tear it didn't really look like a puncture hole. I was wondering if it was possible to have a weak spot in the fabic or maybe I hit somthing in the grass when I crashed. But my main reason for this post is that john mentioned said to use clear ripstop tape to mend the tear but I was unable to locate any and also the super glue fix mentioned lower on the page does it matter which super glue or tape you use on that method? I would appreciate any help in this matter I'm really bummed that I got a tear on my first flight and want to fix it asap so I can get back out there and fly

p.s here is a pic of the tear

JUMP..........

Today while getting the sand out of the vents on my B, (after an awesome mega fly day in Wildwood yesterday I might add) I noticed a small tear similar to the one mentioned in this post. Specifically: the front left side between the inner and outter vent along the inside seam of the outter vent. Hopefully my attached pic came thru with this post.

My question is since it's now a year later since you guys did your repairs with the various methods listed, how did the repairs stand the test of time and flying since then?

Attached Thumbnails

• vtd_tear_2.JPG

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#19 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

here's another pic...........

Any help??????????

Attached Thumbnails

• vtd_tear.JPG

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#20 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

Go with the super glue (CE Glue) method. Worked a treat for me on rip that size (Barbed wire)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users