42 replies to this topic

#21 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

Hi All, as a veteran of flying in front of TV cameras I can sympathise with Scotty & what occurred.

A couple of points, I know Pudsli & he's a good guy.  I'm sure he is expressing an opinion based solely on what he & his son saw.  That's what the lesson is here.

Why do we go on TV?  Yes to promote our sport, but why do the TV people want us on there?  It's entertainment!  If it goes wrong all the better for them.

Therefore to reduce the possibility of it going wrong, a couple of points,

1 don't feel pressured to perform earlier than expected, if they give you a schedule expect you & them to keep to the agreement.  If you are completely ready then yes go early.  But, if not say so and they will bump something(one) else.

2 say no to invites if they do not meet your goal, The Flying Squad, were invited to appear on prime time TV, immediate response YES!! Then once we had written to confirm EXACTLY what they wanted, it was evident that their expectations were too high.  They wanted us to teach a celebrity guest to fly a routine in 1 day.  We politely pointed out that was no way possible an withdrew.

At the end of the day Scotty is man enough to admit it didn't go the way he planned, and I'm sure it's a lesson learned.  However, when another opportunity comes along he will be more experienced & therefore better prepared to deal with this type of situation.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#22 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

That was the first time someone had the guts (courage in case you don't understand proper american) to try this in this environment. Probably some good lessons learned. Now that you have learned a little (wee little) you might have the hutspa to give it a try. Or maybe some young kid might beat you to it; keep watching.

Hi All,
What Pudsli ( and to no fault of his own, cause hey if you don't understand all the issues involved you just can't) doesn't understand, is that someone, somewhere, had to be the first to try this *indoor flying* idea.. I mean think about it. What was someone really thinking when they decided to take a kite indoors and try flinging it around.. what inspired them..what drove them? We may never know the answer to that... but we do know the ending result. That would be over 1000 kitefliers all over the world, putting on shows, international competitions, getting together for the fun of it.. inspiring each other, pushing each other to try new moves.. inspiring others to give it a go. The result of one person's idea, or attempt inspires others.

In the case that Pudsli is referring to..Many others were inspired, moved and touched... Many have had the pleasure of seeing him fly in person, and have been touched. As we all know, stuff happens.. to the best of us, and all it does is inspire us to keep going, and keep trying. Scotty has been a supporter and teacher for myself and my son in our indoor flying as well as many others. I for one am thankful for the mistakes , because it helps all us learn how to do it better, to be more driven, and to set the bar high. Scotty , John, and many other masters have done that for us all. Thanks guys.
And I will only say this, keep watching Pudsli... because what the Masters have taught us, we take forward with our future fliers... and it only gets better. Keep watching...

#23 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Enjoy...

http://www.boston.co...ld_on_a_string/

#24 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hi All,
What Pudsli ( and to no fault of his own, cause hey if you don't understand all the issues involved you just can't) doesn't understand, is that someone, somewhere, had to be the first to try this *indoor flying* idea.. I mean think about it. What was someone really thinking when they decided to take a kite indoors and try flinging it around.. what inspired them..what drove them? We may never know the answer to that... but we do know the ending result. That would be over 1000 kitefliers all over the world, putting on shows, international competitions, getting together for the fun of it.. inspiring each other, pushing each other to try new moves.. inspiring others to give it a go. The result of one person's idea, or attempt inspires others.

In the case that Pudsli is referring to..Many others were inspired, moved and touched... Many have had the pleasure of seeing him fly in person, and have been touched. As we all know, stuff happens.. to the best of us, and all it does is inspire us to keep going, and keep trying. Scotty has been a supporter and teacher for myself and my son in our indoor flying as well as many others. I for one am thankful for the mistakes , because it helps all us learn how to do it better, to be more driven, and to set the bar high. Scotty , John, and many other masters have done that for us all. Thanks guys.
And I will only say this, keep watching Pudsli... because what the Masters have taught us, we take forward with our future fliers... and it only gets better. Keep watching...

Right on Amy!!! we understand and that's what count!!! :wub:

See you at LC!!
Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#25 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Thanks to my friends for defending my character, but a spade is a spade, that lack of performance was pitiful.
The little guy said, "That wasn't very good" and he was right.
Any Press is good Press, After one year and we are still talking about it.....Posted Image cool.
I would do it again. thoughPosted Image

We can all watch this seasons ( season 5) show and we will see indoor REVOLUTION flying, so stay tuned and root for the brave soul who subjected themselves to MILLIONS of viewers scrutiny or praise.
"No Guts No Glory"

I hope we can start a thread to positively bring ideas to advertising kite flying to the unknowing public.
after my years of flying kites I can say I carry a positive attitude ONLY, all else, leave it at the workplace!
This Friday night I will be flying my Rev on the lawn of a mansion for a few hundred spectators to scrutinize, And They invited me to do so, go figure.
My Mom used to tell me " Go FLY a Kite"
I THINK I WILL.

JUST DO IT.
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#26 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

This is done, leave it alone... I'm stepping in from the airport and as I said "this is done"... All the best to all the Family and no matter what, that is what we are, and as such we all have put on tha jackPosted Image suit this does not make any differnce... That's what it's all about , good, bad, right, or wrong we are there for each other, not to say we'll always agree... Whoever
(and I do know) had the heart to go on that stage is a better man than I am for sure, did he mess up, yea so, he did it....
I let this one go on to long so as of now this ones over and done, we are never all going to agree on what happened but
can we agree on being a " Family".... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image airports Posted Image

#27 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

This is done, leave it alone... I'm stepping in from the airport and as I said "this is done"... All the best to all the Family and no matter what, that is what we are, and as such we all have put on tha jackPosted Image suit this does not make any differnce... That's what it's all about , good, bad, right, or wrong we are there for each other, not to say we'll always agree... Whoever
(and I do know) had the heart to go on that stage is a better man than I am for sure, did he mess up, yea so, he did it....
I let this one go on to long so as of now this ones over and done, we are never all going to agree on what happened but
can we agree on being a " Family".... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image airports Posted Image

Hey safe trip Ben,

On a positive note, if anyone gets to catch this weekends Country File on the BBC this Sunday Morning [i think its Sunday].They will find a full eight minutes of kites,pilots,builders and flying.Myself and pals in TEAM4MATION had been asked along with some other great kite folk, if we would do a slot for the BBCs Country File Show.We had a ball at the Wirral International Kite Festival and many have said since we wher the stars of the show.Personally,i think kite flying was the star.The general public in ther Thousands LUV our Routine and the mass of kites on display,made up from people from all around the globe.
Unlike Scotts Gutsy experience [bravo Scott btw,that musta taken Big Ballzz mate],We had an under the spotlight experience with a sweet 10mph wind and all the time in the world to practice beforehand sorta helped us and not being solo is a big big plus.Along with Luving what you do,flying with a BDG,just being with ya pals, who Nailed the routine to a huge round of applause.Which also helps fire the confidence.Hope we get some Rev coverage on the TV and promote our sport.Good bad or indiferent,it takes Guts to get up and Just doit.

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri, 21 June 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#28 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hey safe trip Ben,

On a positive note, if anyone gets to catch this weekends Country File on the BBC this Sunday Morning [i think its Sunday].They will find a full eight minutes of kites,pilots,builders and flying.Myself and pals in TEAM4MATION had been asked along with some other great kite folk, if we would do a slot for the BBCs Country File Show.We had a ball at the Wirral International Kite Festival and many have said since we wher the stars of the show.Personally,i think kite flying was the star.The general public in ther Thousands LUV our Routine and the mass of kites on display,made up from people from all around the globe.
Unlike Scotts Gutsy experience [bravo Scott btw,that musta taken Big Ballzz mate],We had an under the spotlight experience with a sweet 10mph wind and all the time in the world to practice beforehand sorta helped us and not being solo is a big big plus.Along with Luving what you do,flying with a BDG,just being with ya pals, who Nailed the routine to a huge round of applause.Which also helps fire the confidence.Hope we get some Rev coverage on the TV and promote our sport.Good bad or indiferent,it takes Guts to get up and Just doit.

BRIAN...

great news Bri! Any way those of us across the western ocean can see this on the web?
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#29 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi Scott,hi Mel,
im sure ther is some medium/media.The Bod[man]from the BBC said it will be on BBCs I Player.Maybe a link can do the trick once the program has been broadcast.

Im not that PC,with the I Player and stuff,but i will try once the program has been broadcast.

Have a goodn pal,see ya Mel

BRIAN...

#30 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Opinions are like ASSPosted Image 's.......we all have them and we all are them.......some of us more than othersPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image !!!!!

Enuf said about this.......let's all just fly kites and have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#31 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hey Rich,hows life treating ya mate.My new pal at work flys out your way in a few weeks,im so envious.

Hope your all well

Have a goodn

BRIAN...

#32 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hey Rich,hows life treating ya mate.My new pal at work flys out your way in a few weeks,im so envious.

Hope your all well

Have a goodn

BRIAN...

All good my brother!!!!! Hugs and kisses to your WAYYYYYY better half!!!!Posted Image Posted Image
Please have your mate touch base with me while stateside so we can arrange a fly (assuming he flies that is)!!!!!

Any chance you'll be making it to WSIKF???

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#33 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

Kissssssss[one only] back atcha pal from my way better.

I wish so much that i could do WSIKF.The new J O B has taken priority atm.Hate to miss such a good event.Its One of those,,, i was ther ones,,,.I like them v much.Would be good to see so many good folk in the same place.Anyways ,have fun as always mate.

My pal doesnt fly at all.Just over for the sights and stuff.Thanks anyways Rich.

Stay well.Be Lucky

BRIAN...

#34 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Connor Doran just rocked the stage at the Portland auditions. He's going to Las Vegas for the next round.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#35 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

Connor Doran just rocked the stage at the Portland auditions. He's going to Las Vegas for the next round.

Maybe this was why Scott had a flub. I'd like to think there's a reason behind everything. No offense meant, Scott.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#36 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

Last night they had a new guy flying a Rev on America Has Talent. This one was 17 years old and had epilepsy. Did a great job and is going on to Vegas. He wowed everyone. I didn't get his name or where he was from as my wife came out and told me to turn into the program just as he came on.I guess I has to read the previous post. I thought it may have been Amy in the wings.

Edited by kitefantex, 23 June 2010 - 04:59 AM.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#37 glider

glider
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

Last night they had a new guy flying a Rev on America Has Talent. This one was 17 years old and had epilepsy. Did a great job and is going on to Vegas. He wowed everyone. I didn't get his name or where he was from as my wife came out and told me to turn into the program just as he came on.I guess I has to read the previous post. I thought it may have been Amy in the wings.

Connor Doran and Amy Doran on national TV, bringing tears to many eyes and opening the country's eyes to indoor kite flying. Scotty had some bad luck on his try last year, but if I had to guess, I'd bet Scotty couldn't be happier with these eventual results.

Dave
Portland, OR

#38 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Connor Doran and Amy Doran on national TV, bringing tears to many eyes and opening the country's eyes to indoor kite flying. Scotty had some bad luck on his try last year, but if I had to guess, I'd bet Scotty couldn't be happier with these eventual results.

Dave
Portland, OR

I know Scotty encouraged and supported Connor. These kiting guys we coming along are really worth our investment of help and ecounragement. Just think how gutsy Connor was. Also he was really calm cool and very collected. Probably good thing he could not see the millions of people watching him thru those cameras.

What fun watching the judges. From well what is is this all about to hmmmm interesting, to wow I am feeling good, to this is really entertaining. Connor really did a job on them. Thru grit and grace.

John

#39 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

Dave
Portland, OR

I know Scotty encouraged and supported Connor. These kiting guys we coming along are really worth our investment of help and ecounragement. Just think how gutsy Connor was. Also he was really calm cool and very collected. Probably good thing he could not see the millions of people watching him thru those cameras.

What fun watching the judges. From well what is is this all about to hmmmm interesting, to wow I am feeling good, to this is really entertaining. Connor really did a job on them. Thru grit and grace.

John

I can't say how much this means to me..
and this is one of those most special things that has happened in my life living in the kite family, MUSHY beyond words.
Connor and know how I feel! Posted Image

Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#40 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hi there,
Well tonight America's Got Talent goes live at 9 pm East Coast time, and will be shown delayed at 9 pm Pacific. I would like to encourage you all to keep watching. Last year there were people that were brought back on wild cards...We have no idea what will happen this year, but the thought occured to me that they could call for a vote to bring people back, and it would be a shame if people were not watching when that happened... It's just a thought . So please keep the hopes up, and keep watching. Thanks!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users