B Series w/ Race Rods

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hasek

Hasek
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

My B Series should be in my paws tomorrow, race rods with a 3 wrap.

I've read somewhere in these here forums that the flex of the leading edge is what determines what is too much wind for a Rev, and that makes sense.

Out of curiosity, what wind speeds do you all add the 2cnd spar to the leading edge for the B Series?

Edited by Hasek, 17 June 2010 - 06:18 PM.

#2 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

My B Series should be in my paws tomorrow, race rods with a 3 wrap.

I've read somewhere in these here forums that the flex of the leading edge is what determines what is too much wind for a Rev, and that makes sense.

Out of curiosity, what wind speeds do you all add the 2cnd spar to the leading edge for the B Series?

The best way to do it is by feel. When the leading edge is too flexy, the kite generally starts pulling way harder. If the kite starts feeling uncomfortable to fly, then drop another leading edge in.

Don't worry too much about how much it might look like it's flexing or how high the specific wind speed seems to be on the ground. (It's very difficult to judge wind speeds aloft from what you're feeling on the ground.) Provided the ferrules aren't loose, the race rods will take a LOT more wind than it's comfortable to fly them in. And by their very nature, they flex a lot; that's what makes them so awesome. :D

If you're worried about spars breaking from sudden gusts or something, there's two easy ways to prevent that: (1) use 3-wrap verticals instead of race rods, and (2) if you feel a HUGE gust hitting the kite, let off the bottom lines. The verticals you use make basically zero difference to how the kite handles except changing the weight distribution very slightly; all the "spring" you get is from the leading edge. And Revs can spill air like crazy if you let off the bottom lines; if you develop a good reflex for that and always check the integrity of your ferrules before flying, you'll probably never have a wind-related spar breakage.
kairusan

#3 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

And Revs can spill air like crazy if you let off the bottom lines; if you develop a good reflex for that and always check the integrity of your ferrules before flying, you'll probably never have a wind-related spar breakage.

This is all OK unless flying in Team, when you cant just do what you want when you want.  Having said that, I've not broken a spar this Century  :blue-grin:

Broke a Rev 1 spar (yes the Heavy weight ones !!)  Learned the rule NEVER stand down wind of kite !! Kite caught some wind, flipped up and broke a spar on my neck !!  Never done that since.

Second break was in Competition, Professional Use only verrry light wind, mid routine thermal or gust came through.  Spar broke, I finished routine with only 1 down spar. 

Often find a lighter sail, with a heavier rod works best.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#4 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

The only time I will double up the leading edge is when wind speeds are making the kite too squirrly. If you do not have much flight time I would keep the race rods in the bag until you develop some control, at least get past the constantly crashing into the ground stage. New fliers generally have a narrow wind "window" that they can fly in. Too light (kite won't fly) or too heavy (kite flies too fast and out of control) will cause much frustration. Let us know how you do, we love to hear first flight stories!

Edited by RS67Man, 19 June 2010 - 11:49 AM.

LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#5 Hasek

Hasek
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Walt and kairusan.

I was actually looking for a mph range, just for the data banks.

Walt, I am pretty decent with Rev's and have a bit of time flying them. I can't do many of the tricks and all yet, but I don't have unintended landings too often.

Thanks again for the info.

#6 sirrom

sirrom

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks Walt and kairusan.

I was actually looking for a mph range, just for the data banks.

Walt, I am pretty decent with Rev's and have a bit of time flying them. I can't do many of the tricks and all yet, but I don't have unintended landings too often.

Thanks again for the info.

I didn't see what sail you had. Standard Full Sail, Mid-Vent, or Full Vent??

I personally have never double up on the leading edge. But then again I usually pack up the bag above 30+ mph winds.
Around 5-15 mph I have my B full-vent with Race Rods rods :P Then 15-30 mph I switch to 3wrap rods and usually stop flying at 30+ mph as I am old and can't take the wind and sand any more :kid_cussing:

All these wind speeds are just a guess, and it boils down to feel and control. If you are in control and having fun then B) :P :)
BRETT
(Formerly sirrom2000)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

On the Rev home site it suggests up to 16mph with 3 wrap in a B standard. As the Race Rods are supposed to be "the weight of a 2 wrap with the strength of a 3 wrap" well sort of, I would think you would be OK up to about that limit.

As a suggestion of course, it is very much down to the skill of the pilot. For instance I have a Zen, and I am sure there must be summat wrong with it. On the Rev site it says down to 0mph. Be blowed if I can make mine fly in anything less than about 5mph. :kid_devlish: This is down to my skill level and of course lack of practice. I am sure you have seen videos of folks doing a 360, well when they are doing that the wind is actually blowing the wrong way into the kite. Just cuz they are running keeps it up.

And let me be honest, I have NO intention of running with a kite. Gave that up when I got into my Teens. :)

As the other guys have suggested rods can be quite personal. I have flown with 2 4 wrap LE's in a full vent at about 50mph or so, no fun at all, just that I had driven over 2 Hours to get there ans I was NOT going home without flying.

You sort of need to feel when it is time to change. and when you get a bigger bag of rods, there in nowt wrong with a 3 wrap middle and 2 wrap ends or 4 in the middle 3 on the outside. Race LE with 3 wrap downs. Just mix and match to make it fly the way YOU want it to fly.

And if YOU can fly the heck out of it the way it is set up, no matter what rods are in it and where the lines are set. And NO ONE else can get it off the ground the way you have set it up. Then that is the RIGHT way for it.

Main thing, have BAGS of fun.

I have almost 20 Revs now, not counted recently, all set up different ways to suit me. I have fun that way, however I often wish I was good enough to maybe have 1 or 2 with a few spare rods, would be SO much easier to cart around, however to do that would need the dedication and practice that would interfere with the fun I have of chucking a kite in the air and just flying it around. So to make up for my skill level and save time on setting up I have lots of set ups ready to go.

Hope you get on well, let us all know OK?

#8 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Oops, That what I get for assuming..........my bad..... :blushing:

Sorry about that.......
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users