fishing line?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darknight

darknight
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

well just a curious question really, while i was looking into the cost of buying a spool of line for later use when im much better at flying, or for a second kite(the bug has bitten) i noticed that the spectra braid/dyneema is fishing line? i used to carp fish and used a braid at the end of the line, but now it seems with the new thin braid it is used all the way, sooo is this spectra line in all its various colours and guises actually fishing line? can i buy that if if i cant find lpg for instance?

Edited by darknight, 17 June 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

The question has been asked B4.

Simple answer, the fishing line would probably be strong enough. However you wouldnt like it much once you had a couple of twists in it.

Kit lines have secret slippy stuff in them I think. :)

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Using Fishing line for Kite line....the easiest comparison would be something like "Would you use bicycle tires on a F1 race car?" Hey, I looked at them and they are both made from high grade rubber! I'm not talking about the really cheap kiddie bicycle tires, I am talking about those really high grade racing bicycle tires like Lance Armstrong uses. Why wouldn't this work? As said, they are both made from really strong rubber and the bicycle tires are a fraction of the cost per tire than those expensive specialty F1 racing slicks!?!?!

Believe it or not, all spectra line is not the same. Even though fishing line is made from the same molecular compounds as spectra kite line, other than the basic materials used to make the ultra fine individual fibers, they are totally different from each other. Spectra kite line and fishing line is not just one giant line wound on a spool, they consist of hundreds of fine fibers interwoven and carefully braided in a certain way so that the lines are first very strong and second have a certain type of creep/stretch/wear. This braiding process can be so exact that it can give the line a square, rectangle, round, or even an octagon exterior shape. Kite line is specially braided so that the line has near zero stretch over a long distance and also has a braid structure that allows the line to slide against itself without binding. This obviously is not needed in fishing line as you aren't twisting fishing line around itself 10 or more times while it is under tension in the water. Most fishing line has colored wax embedded into the line, this is great for repelling water and making it harder for the fish to see but is terrible for kite flying as it attracts find particles of dust or dirt which can work itself into the braid and break the line down and cause line failures - or make the line harder to see when flying. Also, fishing line will be braided in a way to allow a lot of creep in the braid, allowing the line to seem to stretch more without breaking. Kite line is braided in a way to minimize any creep in the braid giving you a very direct and solid feel on the kite and making inputs instantaneous.

Like the tires, spectra line is made special for exclusive applications. Kite line is specially made for kite flying and even though your fishing line says Spectra on it, it is not really the same.

If fishing line was any good for kites at all (even partially acceptable), I am sure that Revolution and other manufacturers would be using it for their kite packages as it would save them tens of thousands of dollars in expenses a year. It isn't any good for kites and they prove it by offering 100% Laser Pro Spectra kite line in all of their kite packages (even though it costs so much more).

The old saying of "You get what you pay for" still applies. Especially when it comes to kite line and performance.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

#4 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hey Kent, Having spent 30+ years, in the textile industry, yarn manufacturing, to be specific, you are dead on. Well put, and well explained. Although the two lines are indeed made from fibers of the same molecular structure, that definitely DOES NOT mean, that the two are even similar, so far as the end use.....................the only similarity is that they are both longer than they are wide, and as you put it so eloquently, this information is worth, exactly what you paid for it..............good luck Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

ps........a line, is not a line, is not a line

Edited by Reef Runner, 17 June 2010 - 05:12 PM.

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#5 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

While Kent is right of course I will add this. I am curently using 80# power pro fishing line for my indoor lines. I fly on 12' lines and am very happy with this line set. Outdoor flying however, especially on longer lines, there is far more demand and wear on the lines. spend the money on LPG.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#6 spotter

spotter
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Something that has not been mentioned and that will happen with fishing line is it will cut spectra lines. If you get in a situation that you have crossed lines with other people using spectra or string, the fishing line will cut other lines. A good example of this is at kite festivals, you may find an area that is of good size that you are away from other people and kite but kids will see this awsome kite in the sky and walk over with their little SLK's. Next thing you have is a little crying as you have cut his kite out of the sky. I have seen this happen with other string types that is not fishing line but it will do the same thing.

The extra strength of the fishing line can also make other safety consens. In my opion with 90 feet of line out and a good wind blowing there is a fair bit of strain on the lines. "IF" you do hit someone it will hurt a lot more than if you had spectra lines. Our local kite club will not accept anyone flying with fishing line and will not cover you in any form of insurance while flying with it. This is all from the safety side of things.
Trying to fly "Down Under"

#7 darknight

darknight
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

thanks for the replys guys, i certainly wont be getting the wrong stuff, im a bit of a label freak there, must have the right stuff, but while searching for the lpg line, most was fishing stuff so was really just curious if it was the same, thanks for setting that straight.
it does seem hard to find spools of the lpg around though doesnt it, it seemed it would be easier for me to get someone to send some over from u.s.a

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

i've still got a an old set of kevlar lines, if you want to play rough!

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Kevlar...he he he.

If you can't find a kite shop overseas that carries LPG, give me a call, we have bulk line in stock and can ship some to you.

#10 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Kevlar...he he he.

If you can't find a kite shop overseas that carries LPG, give me a call, we have bulk line in stock and can ship some to you.

Hey Kent and All,

Have to say Thanks first for explaining this so perfectly, and need to make a plug for the Shanti Speedline and new Skybond. Excellent spectra, made only for the kiting industry and the new Skybond has the coating everyone has wanted with the LPG.

If you need it, this is what I buy in bulk and hand stretch/make all of our linesets from. Also, Shanti can, and does, hand stretch and provide ready made linesets for dual and quads.

Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users