27 replies to this topic

#21 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

If you mean can I adjust the brake lines while the kite is on the floor, ooops, as I adjust them the kite takes off?

Traditionaly most folks bring their brakes in by lengthening the top lines rather than shortening the bottom lines. (Some put the adjustment on the brakes)

Make yourself up a set of longer top leaders with a few knots in them. 4 or 5 at 1" or less intervals will do. Make it so the end knot is about in line with the bottom of your handles when dangled down (even longer if you like)

Then you can land inverted, this will allow the top lines to be slack, and with a bit of higgery pokery and about 4 sets of hands you will find you can adjust the larksheads out on the top lines (or in if that is the adjustment needed) Thus making your brakes shorter or longer.

Hope that makes sense.

#22 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

If you mean can I adjust the brake lines while the kite is on the floor, ooops, as I adjust them the kite takes off?

Traditionaly most folks bring their brakes in by lengthening the top lines rather than shortening the bottom lines. (Some put the adjustment on the brakes)

Make yourself up a set of longer top leaders with a few knots in them. 4 or 5 at 1" or less intervals will do. Make it so the end knot is about in line with the bottom of your handles when dangled down (even longer if you like)

Then you can land inverted, this will allow the top lines to be slack, and with a bit of higgery pokery and about 4 sets of hands you will find you can adjust the larksheads out on the top lines (or in if that is the adjustment needed) Thus making your brakes shorter or longer.

Hope that makes sense.

Hey Baloo, Possibly I misunderstood his question. I think we are both, basically saying the same thing, "that most fly with longer top leaders, and much shorter bottom leaders". I guess what I didn't understand was that he wanted to make the adjustments, during a flying session. I was kinda considering, a flight to be over, when you land, that is until you take off again. Anyway, it seems that if you wanted to fiddle with the brake lines, while you were on the ground, but still under tension, you would be better off to land "upright", because if you are inverted, isn't most of the tension going to be on the brake lines, and as you say, a little tug, and oops? I mean, if you want to be pulling on the brake lines, to release lark's head knots, adjust them, or whatever, wouldn't you be better off in the upright position.
Oh heck, I'm just a rookie, I don't know. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

You may be right in the way you see the question. I just answered it the way I saw it. In exactly the way that you answered it in the way you saw it. If you get my drift.

The good thing about having adjustable leaders on the top is that, if you are careful of course, when you land inverted you can hold the tension on the brake lines (that will be at the top of the kite, cuz it is inverted) While you lengthen or shorten the top lines (that will be on the bottom cuz the kite is inverted) which will be slack if you hold the handles so that there is slack in them.

I have adjusted this way many times. However I do tend to fly on my own in fairly wide open spaces. I might hesitate if there were crowds around.

I am just not good enogh to be able to be sure to launch if I drop the kite flat. And just too lazy to do the long walk to re set. :blue-grin:

#24 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

... wouldn't you be better off in the upright position.

Nope. It's almost always better to land with the leading edge down if you're going to stay down for any length of time. Or, stop concentrating on the kite.

Try this: Land with the leading edge down. Then, holding the handles upright, stick your forearm in front of the handles with the top lines above and the bottom lines below your forearm. Drape the handles/top lines over your forearm ... right at the junction of the handles and top lines. In this position, you can stand there all day and the kite will stay in position. You can step forward a little bit and somewhat easily adjust any of the larks head knots without the kite taking off.

Cheers,
Tom

#25 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Nope. It's almost always better to land with the leading edge down if you're going to stay down for any length of time. Or, stop concentrating on the kite.

Try this: Land with the leading edge down. Then, holding the handles upright, stick your forearm in front of the handles with the top lines above and the bottom lines below your forearm. Drape the handles/top lines over your forearm ... right at the junction of the handles and top lines. In this position, you can stand there all day and the kite will stay in position. You can step forward a little bit and somewhat easily adjust any of the larks head knots without the kite taking off.

Cheers,
Tom

Amen, that's what I was trying to say, except, I just hang it on my index finger, and like you say, the kite ain't going no where, but down.........no matter what !!!!!!! Still not sure if we are understand the real question, but I'm sure we'll have him really confused, by the time he gets back from the blueberry festival, or whatever..................cheers guys, it's past 5 o'clock on the east coast...

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#26 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

Hey, thats a good idea RR, nothing like a good bit of confusion. :kid_devlish:

#27 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

Hey, thats a good idea RR, nothing like a good bit of confusion. Posted Image

Posted Image Yes indeed, keeps the old mind working overtime. Then there's just no telling what one may come up with Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#28 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

"KUDOS" to Revflyer and AwindOfChange...

It was only through the mix of your 2 instructions here was i able to get the bridle on my crispy new R1 fastened in under an hour.

I'll consider this just a practice run because the line is like almost 5/32" and expect the newer lines made to be a lot thinner.
Get it ordered now Kent, if you dont have one ready and saved for me, to pick up in a few weeks. Posted Image

@John Mitchell, I'll have a picture up soon in the Global Rev Count thread.
I'll expect to read a great history on this baby, it's one of the classics, i do believe. Posted Image

Posted Image -dano

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users