new bridle for Rev 1

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mr C

Mr C
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

I have an older Rev 1. Purchased new lines and a new bridle. I attached the new bridle as I took the old one off, but the new bridle looks awful loose. I don't remember if the old one was this loose, and I've thrown it out since. I'm going to try and post some pictures. Help please. I haven't flown her yet. I wanted to get everything right first..DSC_0080.JPG

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

I have an older Rev 1. Purchased new lines and a new bridle. I attached the new bridle as I took the old one off, but the new bridle looks awful loose. I don't remember if the old one was this loose, and I've thrown it out since. I'm going to try and post some pictures. Help please. I haven't flown her yet. I wanted to get everything right first..DSC_0080.JPG

The bottom of the bridle is not shown in your picture. Could you post pictures showing the bridle connections at the top, side and bottom, preferably at the same time?
Then an over all picture would helpful of the whole kite, with the bridle held up. You might need someone to help you on this.

I think I know what the problem is, however I want to verify what I think before mentioning it.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Are you going to let us all have a guess B4 you answer John. :kid_devlish:

Sorry, my rather perverse sense of humour again.

Hope you / we can help get it sorted out. A shame to have a Rev 1 and not be able to enjoy it.

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

There has been several changes of bridles for the REV I over the years. Thus it is not easy resolve this with the small section of the bridle shown in the picture.
I really need to see a picture of the lower end of the bridle along with the top at the same time to confirm my thoughts.
However, I will tell you my thoughts. I suspect that side of the bridle we are seeing is reversed top to bottom. The other side without a picture can only be assumed to have the same problem. Then, there might be additional issues such as where the horizontal bridle connects to the vertical bridles.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:33 AM

Oh I got this one!

The "hinge" attaching the two bridle leg components together isn't connected properly.

You need to take off the whole thing, and re-work the installation.

I've attached some instructions as a PDF,
(it will work for your kite too regardless of the size)

The only difference is the factory bridle attaches to the center of the leading edge with a little piece of cord. That's cool, we'll save that final adjustment for last. Your objective is for every single bridle leg to be tight with tension on only the top two flying lines. Pick it up and confirm this is true before you go fly your new kite.

Any minor adjustments are going to be made by how many times you wrap the bridle connecting loops thru an end-cap and around the back. Perfect is a single pass thru the cap, behind and snugged down tight. But you CAN use some excess length up by doing two passes around the cap after passing thru the hole. Our last adjustment is going to be the center little piece of cord

Anyway, you can call me if you want and I'll talk you thru it Mitch. Otherwise just follow the pdf instructions for installation,
(except for all the crap about larksheading the center attachment point on leading edge, you're using a separate little line, which you tie tighter or looser, even change the overall length entirely!

These directions usually come with the bridle legs all tied up in an envelope. I hate making 'em, so I also show folks how to make and use their own bridle board. Then they never need me again!

Attached Files

#6 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Oh I got this one!

The "hinge" attaching the two bridle leg components together isn't connected properly.

You need to take off the whole thing, and re-work the installation.

I've attached some instructions as a PDF,
(it will work for your kite too regardless of the size)

The only difference is the factory bridle attaches to the center of the leading edge with a little piece of cord. That's cool, we'll save that final adjustment for last. Your objective is for every single bridle leg to be tight with tension on only the top two flying lines. Pick it up and confirm this is true before you go fly your new kite.

Any minor adjustments are going to be made by how many times you wrap the bridle connecting loops thru an end-cap and around the back. Perfect is a single pass thru the cap, behind and snugged down tight. But you CAN use some excess length up by doing two passes around the cap after passing thru the hole. Our last adjustment is going to be the center little piece of cord

Anyway, you can call me if you want and I'll talk you thru it Mitch. Otherwise just follow the pdf instructions for installation,
(except for all the crap about larksheading the center attachment point on leading edge, you're using a separate little line, which you tie tighter or looser, even change the overall length entirely!

These directions usually come with the bridle legs all tied up in an envelope. I hate making 'em, so I also show folks how to make and use their own bridle board. Then they never need me again!

Great input Paul!
I just talked to Sal and he's going to have a go at it :)
Now he just needs wind to get it out and fly!! :)

You guys are awesome!!

T

#7 Mr C

Mr C
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

DSC_0084.JPG well, I took another picture of the whole bridle on the rev. The horizontal part of the bridle hangs down about 8" from the leading edge on both sides. The center of the horiz bridle is attached to a hole on the leading edge of the rev. The horizontal part of the bridle seems just too loose. The Verticle lines seem OK. The other horizontal line you might notice in the back of the kite is for standoffs I got to help the rev stand up in a upright position to launch. Where can I look to see how you launch the rev if it's 'flat'. I did find out how to stand it in an inverted position to launch. That I understand and can do. DSC_0083.JPG

#8 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

It is still impossible to see, both the top and the bottom, of the verticle bridle, to see how it is connected. I see a small loop, on one side, and that is where they are suppose to connect..............Please post of complete photo, so we can see both the top and bottom, of one of the verticles. We can't help, till we can see what you have done....... I wouldn't fly it like it is, you need to get the bridle connected correctly, first......

It appears that you are going to need some, "hands on" help, from someone that knows how to tie bridles, and how they are connected............

That is why John has asked you for a complete photo...............

Edited by Reef Runner, 17 June 2010 - 04:52 PM.

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

When I look at that bridle, it looks really messed up. It appears some knots are missing, etc, etc, etc.

Attached are four pictures of a REV I with the thicker black bridle. Your bridle should be set up almost the same. The big difference between this black bridle is the material the bridle is made of. Yours is a lighter white Spectra material.

Photo 1 shows the whole REV I. You can see how the bridle hangs.
Photo 2 shows a closer view of the right side.
Photo 3 shows a close up of the right side, before the horizontal bridle is connected the the right vertical bridle.
Photo 4 shows a close up of the right side, after the horizontal bridle is connected the the right vertical bridle.
They say pictures are worth a thousand words. I say they are worth many more.

Note: Photo4 is in the next message

I hope this helps.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo01.png
  • Photo02.png
  • Photo03.png

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

When I look at that bridle, it looks really messed up. It appears some knots are missing, etc, etc, etc.

Attached are four pictures of a REV I with the thicker black bridle. Your bridle should be set up almost the same. The big difference between this black bridle is the material the bridle is made of. Yours is a lighter white Spectra material.

Photo 1 shows the whole REV I. You can see how the bridle hangs.
Photo 2 shows a closer view of the right side.
Photo 3 shows a close up of the right side, before the horizontal bridle is connected the the right vertical bridle.
Photo 4 shows a close up of the right side, after the horizontal bridle is connected the the right vertical bridle.
They say pictures are worth a thousand words. I say they are worth many more.

Note: Photo4 is in the next message

I hope this helps.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo04.png

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

John

John, if it's any help....I sent him a new Rev packaged Rev I bridle. :confused!:

T

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

Ok, I know what is wrong.

Your bridle is installed wrong!!!

The new bridle that was sent had three bridle line in it. One long one that fastened to the center loop and then stretches out to both ends of the kite. Do NOT hook this line to the upright spars!!! Only connect it to the MIDDLE and to EACH END.

Then, you have two lines that are the up/down bridles. Take one of these two bridle segments and connect the end closest to the tiny loop to the TOP of the vertical spar. Connect the other end that has the longer loop to the bottom of the vertical spar. Do the exact same to the other side of the kite.

Now comes the tricky part. What you are going to do take the upper bridle that runs horizontally and one of the down bridles that run vertically and connect the two loops together to make the upper tow point.

To connect these two loops, you will need to feed the small short loop up underneath the big loop and through the middle of it. Then, hold onto the small loop which should be on top of the big loop, separate it and from the bottom, feed the big loop back through the small loop and pull it forward. You will connect the two bridles together and have a tow point to connect your lines to. Do the same to the other side and then GO FLY THAT BABY!

Hope this helps. If I typed anything wrong I will blame it on the time of night and my rotten typing skills.

#13 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:30 AM

[quote name='Mr C' date='18 June 2010 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1276821020' post='70162']
Where can I look to see how you launch the rev if it's 'flat'? I did find out how to stand it in an inverted position to launch. That I understand and can do.

You honestly can't launch from that position!

(unless there's a very pronounced curve in the frame members from the sissy sticks being very tight
or if the kite has a big fat leading edge & curved airfoil shaped leading edge sleeve too,
like the speed series kites feature ~ They will "dead launch"!)

I don't like that big curvature built into the magic sticks, because it takes away the lower end of the wind range (I live in the land of no-wind!). The advantage is adding the dead-launch ability. Every design element carries two sides to the coin so to speak.

Otherwise you'll need to rotate the kite 180 degrees, so the leading edge is now away from you
(assuming you started with the kite flat on the ground, on top of the bridle, leading edge closer to you)

You do this action by holding one handle very low & stationary, so the flying lines don't snag on anything as the kite rotates around. With the other hand you going to "hit" the kite with a sudden and sharp jerk backwards on the other handle. This action is designed to actually spin the kite on the ground, hard enough to rotate 180 degrees. The stationary hand has to remain that way, held down low and allowing slack on both flying lines. John Baressi teaches this technique by only pulling on one of the flying lines, carefully wiggling it to prevent snags, as opposed to the entire handle, to me that takes too long, . . . plus I'm a flailer anyway, yank and spank is my preferred flight style! <HA!>

So after mastering this technique you'll never be making the walk of shame again! With the leading edge back away from you the kite will fill with air pressure and you can re-launch (back-up inverted) then fly away again.

All those knots and sleeving on bridles, flying lines and the kite impact how easily it is to escape when a dead launch is impossible. The less of this crap in the way the more reliable the technique becomes. Go practice and master this technique, it will serve you well whether your a competitor or just jacking-around out on the field alone.

#14 Mr C

Mr C
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

John, those 4 picts are EXACTLY what I needed. I printed out (in color) the sheets, then went out to the garage to begin disassembly/assembly. Took me a while, but everything looks good !!! I have 2 sets of leading edges. One of them is 1/4 inch, the other set is bigger diameter. The end caps fit real well in the larger diameter. Looks like the end caps will go over the 1/4 inch ones (not in them), but there will be a bit of slop in them. Is this normal ?
Also, I took off my 'training wheels' from the back of the Rev. They are actually 'standoffs' that allow one to stand the kite upright for takeoff. .
Thanks again for the pics. I really want to meet you someday. I'm retiring next year, so I hope to be coming to a few festivals. Yippie !!!!
REVflyer..thanks for the info on 'trying' to launch when the rev is flat. I'm going to try to play around with that. 85-100 feet (x2) is a long way to walk - even tho I'm still young yet LOL

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

That particular REV I in the photo is apparently a one of a kind in that same color scheme. It is also autographed by Joe and Lolly.

For the larger diameter SLE rods, they fit on the outside of the end cap, however we must warn you that you have to have that black rubber ring on the outside of the cap to insure that the SLE rod does not cut the bridle. If it missing, you can get them from a kite shop. If that is for some reason not practical try a hardware store like ACE in the USA. Go to the plumbing section and look through the small drawers.

The smaller diameter rods are more the standard. They fit inside the plastic end caps. You don't need to remove the rubber ring on the end caps.

You will find that in lower winds, the small diameter rods are preferred. Unless you have really strong winds, you will rarely ever need the larger diameter rods.

#16 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

That particular REV I in the photo is apparently a one of a kind in that same color scheme. It is also autographed by Joe and Lolly.

I noticed the RWB Sedgwick John, kewl kite. And the signatures on a second look.

It looks like there are dark tabs along the trailing edge, out of interest do you mind telling me what they are for please.

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

I noticed the RWB Sedgwick John, kewl kite. And the signatures on a second look.

It looks like there are dark tabs along the trailing edge, out of interest do you mind telling me what they are for please.

Those are Velcro pads for attaching red-white-blues tails. I like to fly with 6 tails which are each roughly 15 meters long.
I first tried this with a rainbow REV I back in 1994.

#18 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Ah yes, I remember you mentioning how you attatch your tails B4.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

#19 Mr C

Mr C
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Well, everything looks good with the readjusted bridle. Cant go flying this weekend, wife and I are taking the Harley to a blues festival for a couple of days. I play harmonica, so Im hopeing to have a good time there. Hope everyone has a good weekend. BTW, got another question. If I need to tighten up my brake lines, is there anyway to do this when you land the Rev (inverted of course), so you can relaunch after adjusting?
Thanks again for all the help so far

#20 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

Well, everything looks good with the readjusted bridle. Cant go flying this weekend, wife and I are taking the Harley to a blues festival for a couple of days. I play harmonica, so Im hopeing to have a good time there. Hope everyone has a good weekend. BTW, got another question. If I need to tighten up my brake lines, is there anyway to do this when you land the Rev (inverted of course), so you can relaunch after adjusting?
Thanks again for all the help so far

Well, admittedly being a rookie at this, I'll still try and give this one a shot. By tightening up the brake (lower) lines, I'll assume that you mean shortening them, to give you more brake. From what I have learned, it's pretty much standard, that most people fly with the brake lines, shorter than the drive (upper) lines, anyway, a lot shorter, maybe 6 - 8" shorter. (When I first began with the rev, I was set up completely opposite to this, until I watched John Baressi's Tutorial Videos, which by the way, are well worth the time) Anyway, when you land the rev in the inverted position (leading edge down), to take off, your brake lines are actually going to temporally, become your drive lines, for launching purposes, anyway. You shouldn't have any problem at all, taking off, by simply applying a little brake, and the kite should launch immediately, from the inverted position.............Hey Kent............help me out here....

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users