4 replies to this topic

#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

I've been wondering this for a while, but I was out flying street style last night on my 8' lines and I was reminded about this question.

When I do an up and over, sometimes I get the sail 'rattling' and other times it's silent ... why is there a difference?

I notice that the sound is more likely when I really send it over the top, if I'm flying slower it's less likely to happen. I get this on both my SLE and B series altho it SEEMS to happen less on the B, but since th B is brand new and I didn't fly them back to back I could be wrong.

Setup is full sail, race rods and extended top leaders and shortened bottom leaders. The leaders JUST touch, bottom knot is less than an inch from the bottom ring and my top line is 2.25 inches back from the end of the top leaders.

Anyone how what the kite or me is doing different (aside from making a noise) through the move?

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:30 AM

that's the trailing edge fluttering (thru the rapid passage of air), . . . some enjoy that surging sound occasionally, some frown upon it as a lack of flight control and equipment adjustments. The elimination of the flutter is a matter of brakes and speed control. More tension on the bottom flying lines and smoother passage across the wind window.

You can make the sail tighter, but I caution you to adjust the top elastic tensions first! If you only work on the bottom sail elastics you'll eventually push those top end-caps up above the leading edge (a sure snag point when you least expect it!)

Personally, I enjoy scaring folks on the sidewalks nearby the Washington Monument though using that sound! The screaming as the kite dives out of the sky, together with a dead-stop paste just above the soil gets 'em howling every time. I had the park rangers over speaking with me this past Sunday AGAIN. The new rangers always want to know "what the heck are you setting up fella?". This one was a bike guy, young and interested enough to come back twice (interested or just checking-up on me?!)

#3 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

Pity I wasn't into Revs when I was state side last year :(

The only kite I saw was on the way in from Dulles to my hotel in DC - a dual line being flown in one of the parks. Not sure which one since I didn't have my bearings yet.

#4 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

simple version of Paul's explanation: More brake (more sail pressure) = less noise

Next time you do an up and over try pulling the handles down with even pressure on all four lines as you pass over the top. You will find with a little practice that you can create a good amount of glide allowing you to travel a ways while the kite descends at a slight angle. (Paul told me this)
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

I can do the glide out okay ... the noise is mostly on the ascent phase. I figured it was lack of brakes (ensuring I get over the top), but wanted to check with the more experienced.

So not a problem as such, just a lack of refinement and a dose of heavy handed monkeyness Posted Image

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users