• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 faust858

faust858
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hello everyone,
Well back in the day, probably around 2001-2002, I bought 2 Revs and casually flew them. 2010 rolls around and I'm thinking its time to dust them off and try flying again. So, I went flying yesterday. After a short 3 hour session I came home to clean off some spots on the sail of my SLE and noticed that the bungiee's on one side were more stretched then the other. I tried searching and proceeded to re-knot to get the bungie tension on both sides about the same. What I was wondering was that since the elastic should degrade over time, how often should these parts be replaced? They still have some stretch but wondering if they should be replaced due to its age.
Posted Image">

If I should replace the bungie's, whats the best type/diameter to use? Just looking to use my Revs for a few hours every other weekend or so.

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm sure someone will have bunji info for you soon, but I did want to point out that your vertical spars are on the wrong side of your 1.5 kite... A common mistake, but they should indeed be on the back (opposite the logo) for the kite to fly properly.

I did the same thing when I bought my first Rev 19 years ago, it almost turned me off to Rev flying entirely... Now, well, you know. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 faust858

faust858
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Kitelife, thanks for the reply. I didnt know they went behind, lol, well maybe I did but forgot that info. Funny thing though, the SLE was the only thing I was able to have some sort of control over. Guess I will have to wait a couple of weeks and try them behind. Hopefully I will remember that still Posted Image . Should all the spars be behind the logo? Just wondering if all Revs are like this? (I set up my SuperSonic the same way)

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

Kitelife, thanks for the reply. I didnt know they went behind, lol, well maybe I did but forgot that info. Funny thing though, the SLE was the only thing I was able to have some sort of control over. Guess I will have to wait a couple of weeks and try them behind. Hopefully I will remember that still Posted Image . Should all the spars be behind the logo? Just wondering if all Revs are like this? (I set up my SuperSonic the same way)

Seeing as you are listed as in San Diego, why not drive by Mission Bay Park just south of the Hilton, in the afternoon. Quite often you will find someone there flying a REV. They will surely clear you up on a lot of things.
The San Diego Kite club also meets there on the second Saturday of each month except July, when they shift to Mariner's Point.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I did want to point out that your vertical spars are on the wrong side of your 1.5 kite...

Come on SuperJohn. You forgot to turn of your x-ray vision again!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

... but I did want to point out that your vertical spars are on the wrong side of your 1.5 kite... :)

Hmmm. I think I just learned something on this thread. The vertical spars are on the speed series are on the front?

Cheers,
Tom

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I think they go on the back of the SS too, I'm just not as familiar with the SS and didn't want to look more foolish than I usually do. :)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

I think they go on the back of the SS too, I'm just not as familiar with the SS and didn't want to look more foolish than I usually do. :)

Well, this is very interesting. Since you specifically said "your 1.5 kite", I was going to point out that you missed the rods on the SS. However, in an endeavor to keep shoe leather out of my mouth, I did a quick check on the REV site. They're on the front of the kite in those pictures. Hmm.

So, do they really go on the front? Did REV screw up? Where's Kent when you need him?

Cheers,
Tom

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

I would offer that the sticks are *not* on the back of the kite in this image...

Posted Image

Instead, we're seeing the black reinforcement... Notice, no gold or silver labels in sight. ;)

John Barresi

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

I would offer that the sticks are *not* on the back of the kite in this image...

Instead, we're seeing the black reinforcement... Notice, no gold or silver labels in sight. ;)

Looks like you hiccuped on your first sentence John ... didn't you mean to drop the "not"?

I can buy the "no labels" argument. That seems conclusive. But, the non-labeled rods in this picture really do seem to be throwing shadows.

Posted Image

Cheers,
Tom

#11 faust858

faust858
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the info. I was actually at Mission Bay flying on Friday but it was pretty empty. I had the only quad line up, maybe only 3 dual liners, a handful of single liners, and 2 para gliders doing some testing/instruction. Not all these guys were in the air at the same time, this is what came and left during my flight time. And looks like spars do go on back, atleast thats what the sticky says. Gotta try my shockwave with spars on back next time, lol.

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

The down spars go on the BACK of EVERY Rev. Including the speed series = Super Sonic and Shockwave. When you put the spars on the back of the Speed series kites, it rolls the leading edge over to create a curvature of the leading edge. Also, when you put the spars on the BACK of the kite, slide them UNDER the bungee cord before seating them into the end caps on the bottom of the wing. This does two things, one it keeps the bungee cords from pulling through the sail and causing excessive wear, second it helps keep the down spars in the kite when you make those unplanned ground landings. On the Sonic, Shockwave and Blast series, the bottom wing tip bungee is tied to make a continuous loop so the spar can slide between the bungee and sail. On the 1.5 series kites, the bungee is not tied together on the back and is secured using some washers to keep the knot from pulling through the sail. You can't put the down spar between the bungee and sail on the 1.5 series (oh yea...same for the Rev 1 and the Rev II too).

Just remember,every Rev has the spars in the BACK. ;)

Hope that helps.

#13 faust858

faust858
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

The down spars go on the BACK of EVERY Rev. Including the speed series = Super Sonic and Shockwave. When you put the spars on the back of the Speed series kites, it rolls the leading edge over to create a curvature of the leading edge. Also, when you put the spars on the BACK of the kite, slide them UNDER the bungee cord before seating them into the end caps on the bottom of the wing. This does two things, one it keeps the bungee cords from pulling through the sail and causing excessive wear, second it helps keep the down spars in the kite when you make those unplanned ground landings. On the Sonic, Shockwave and Blast series, the bottom wing tip bungee is tied to make a continuous loop so the spar can slide between the bungee and sail.
Just remember,every Rev has the spars in the BACK. Posted Image

Hope that helps.

Just looked at my Supersonic, looks like it was made before they started making the continuous loop.

Posted Image
This is a pic of the back.

#14 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

... Just remember,every Rev has the spars in the BACK. ;)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Kent! One more question though. Do any of the Sonic, Shockwave or Blast kites have a black reinforcement stripe where the vertical rods go?

Thanks,
Tom

#15 faust858

faust858
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

Not Kent, but here are some pics of my SSonic.

Front of Kite, showing black strips.
Posted Image

Back of Kite, showing spars and lack of strip.
Posted Image

Hope it helps.

#16 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hi Faust,

back to your original question, I have Revs older than that and the Bungy is fine.  as long at its under tension and its about equal both sides you should be OK.  The supersonic might take more abuse so check that for wear and tear.

More important will be making sure all 4 lines are the same length, if not you will have a built in left or right turn.

When you get a long to the Bay, look for a tall guy flying Revs (very well) that might be John Mitchell.  Get him to show you the leaders on the handles and how they work.  These are great adjustment for wind conditions.

Enjoy.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#17 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

All good info. On the older Super Sonics, the bungee didn't go all the way around just like your picture. As mentioned, no problem at all, it works just fine. If you end up replacing your bungee then you can then decide if you want to tie them together to form a loop like the newer versions of just replace it with the washers like on your version. Both work good but I personally like the loop around the spar myself.

To my knowledge (which has proven to be somewhat limited in other situations) all of the Sonic's have the black tape reinforcement stripes on the sails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users