• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm invited to fly in a group with a group of local flyers last night. I dun know if I can handle the stress of flying in a group, kinda of flying alone all this while. Still learning my rev flying skill, is there any tips to learn in rev flying as a group? Hope I dun crash my kite into theirs. They look pro to me, all using JB series and Pro.

#22 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm invited to fly in a group with a group of local flyers last night. I dun know if I can handle the stress of flying in a group, kinda of flying alone all this while. Still learning my rev flying skill, is there any tips to learn in rev flying as a group? Hope I dun crash my kite into theirs. They look pro to me, all using JB series and Pro.

You will crash your kite into theirs. Don't worry, they all did that too....a lot. The first time I ever flew with a group JB was leading, and at one point he hit me head on and took us both out. Happens to the best, just not as often. flying in a group is, in my opinion, the best thing about flying revs. If they invited you, get in there and have fun.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Jonathan... Laugh, have fun, should be a light mood... It's just kites, after all. ;)

If you tangle up, have a laugh about it, untangle, take notes and carry on!

Team flying is about friends, wind, fun and learning.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#24 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Scott for the advice. I will try to fly in the group see how it goes. Hope no major accidents happen. Posted Image

#25 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks John, I will try to be happy mood when flying in a group. This is the first time flying together, hope to have fun with group flying. Posted Image

#26 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks John, I will try to be happy mood when flying in a group. This is the first time flying together, hope to have fun with group flying. Posted Image

Any chance you are headed over to the kite festival in Bintulu Malaysia at the beginning of October?
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#27 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure if I'm going down as the timing crash with my work. Have to see how it goes when that date is nearer. Are you going down?

#28 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

REVflyer - pulled the trigger and got myself a SUL to handle the low wind conditions we face in the valley !! Also took your advice and got a set of 15" handles to try with it !! Got some bridle line to make leaders for them, too!! Will remember to clear nail polish all the knots to keep them from moving !! Had to have a light wind option, want to fly and not wait around for more wind !! Thanks for all your help and comments !! :) Thanks again !!!

Edited by stroke victim, 12 August 2010 - 09:16 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#29 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi stroke victim,

Glad to hear that you got the SUL for low wind condition. Really a good kite in low wind but you also have to watch out for high wind. The spar cannot handle high wind.

#30 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

It's great to see all the folks taking advantage of what REV kites do best! Those darn things can fly in any kind of wind condition. Sure you might need some specialized stuff to make it easier, but it will do everything you're capable of (and easier than any other sport kite design). The kites have lots of sail version options, frame choices and sizes available from specialty kite shops, just walk in and find a new love. If you're seriously addicted, you can commission individual projects, or obtain masterpiece kites without re-financing the homestead!

The people involved with the company actually care about your complete satisfaction, known for great customer service. There's a worldwide community of rev family pilots for you to meet, share with and keep as lifelong friends. I've met people from all over the world just by flying at the Washington Monuments once a month. Every single one of them that knows anything about a Revolution comes over, introduce themselves and take a spin on the handles. It's universal, you don't even need language to communicate with your rev-family members, . . . . just stick out your hands & any pilot releases their kite for your opportunity to try it out!

#31 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

I'm not sure if I'm going down as the timing crash with my work. Have to see how it goes when that date is nearer. Are you going down?

I will be there for sure, stopping in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and then onto Bintulu :-)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#32 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi stroke victim,

Glad to hear that you got the SUL for low wind condition. Really a good kite in low wind but you also have to watch out for high wind. The spar cannot handle high wind.

Jonathan - Thanks for your support !!:) Had just been getting OK with them, when I had a stroke and went away from all flying for several years !!:blink: Now with new hips and a new vented 1.5 to go with that SUL, I've rediscovered my love for this activity !! These go well with the old Rev 1 I learned with and still have !! Between all 3 I should have most of the wind ranges covered and be able to fly and not wait for more wind !!:angry: Will keep updates on how things go coming on this channel!!:)

Edited by stroke victim, 13 August 2010 - 12:25 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#33 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hi Guys,

Just to updated on the group flying that I did last weekends. Really a new experience for me and I enjoy flying in a group. The group are really very helpful and friendly, they are willing to teach each other tricks on team flying. Now I'm hook to group flying after that session. Really help me a lot on my rev skill. Glad that I took the first step in group flying. Posted Image

#34 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Had fun ? Didn't even hurt? WOW!! Now that's taking it to the edge!!:kid_devlish: SUL should be here any day now!!! :)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#35 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hi stroke victim,

Yes, I have a lot of fun in group flying. In the first few try, got some crashes with other kites. They are not angry and kind enough to give me suggestion on how to inprove my input to the kite so that can fly smoothly. Really glad to fly with them, they are all very skillful in group flying. Can do different type of formations. I have to buck up in my rev flying, so that can join them in those formation.Posted Image

#36 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hi stroke victim,

Yes, I have a lot of fun in group flying. In the first few try, got some crashes with other kites. They are not angry and kind enough to give me suggestion on how to inprove my input to the kite so that can fly smoothly. Really glad to fly with them, they are all very skillful in group flying. Can do different type of formations. I have to buck up in my rev flying, so that can join them in those formation.Posted Image

Go for it !!!!:kid_smartass:

wayne from portland

AKA member

#37 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thanks stoke victim. Hope that one day you also can fly in a group.Posted Image

#38 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks stoke victim. Hope that one day you also can fly in a group.Posted Image

Gonna go up to Long Beach for one day, should get the chance then!! :) That is, if anyone dares to get close enough!! :devil:

wayne from portland

AKA member

#39 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

You mention a group fly SV and I am sure you will be beating them off with a SLE.

#40 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi stroke victim,

Sure will ppl come over and ask you to fly in a group same as me. They also see me flying alone then come over and ask.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users