Your Support for a Flyer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

Many of you know John Farrell, an avid dual and quad line flyer, through the many kite events and competitions he has attended in the northwest over the last few years and his participation on several of the kite forums.

It is with great sadness but high hope that I have been asked to tell you of John's present battle with cancer. He underwent surgery twice last week and is currently recovering at home. He has weathered a battery of tests and doctor appointments in recent weeks, and faces more surgeries, treatments, tests and appointments over the coming months.

John has been the driving force behind the increasingly popular Kites in the Park festival in Fort Collins, CO, held in late April for the last three years. Truly selfless, John had boundless energy and made no mention of his recent diagnosis when I saw him at the festival two weeks ago. He's a competitor and fighter, and I know he'll fight this current setback.

Needless to say, he and his wife Mary will not be making their summer driving trip to the northwest this year but are hoping to be able to attend WSIKF or AKA.

Please keep John in your thoughts and prayers. Mary has asked that you not email John but, instead, send an email to her (maryfarl AT msn DOTCOM) and she'll put you on her email updates if you'd like. And I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can by email or pm.

Personally, I'm looking forward to more flying sessions and tips from John.

Thanks.
Bob

#2 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hi Bob,
I just got an email today from John..my partner and * Old man* ( Blondie and the Old Man pairs team)..
John and Mary have both been family to Connor and I and so many others and I know everyone will send him the strength he needs for a full recovery. He did say to me that he really could use everyone's good thoughts and he knows it will help... so you all pull together for John as he and Mary are our family and get out and fly for him will you? I know I will truly miss my pairs partner this summer, but I will look forward to ripping up the sky, and having as many giggles as we did last summer again.
Mousie.

Many of you know John Farrell, an avid dual and quad line flyer, through the many kite events and competitions he has attended in the northwest over the last few years and his participation on several of the kite forums.

It is with great sadness but high hope that I have been asked to tell you of John's present battle with cancer. He underwent surgery twice last week and is currently recovering at home. He has weathered a battery of tests and doctor appointments in recent weeks, and faces more surgeries, treatments, tests and appointments over the coming months.

John has been the driving force behind the increasingly popular Kites in the Park festival in Fort Collins, CO, held in late April for the last three years. Truly selfless, John had boundless energy and made no mention of his recent diagnosis when I saw him at the festival two weeks ago. He's a competitor and fighter, and I know he'll fight this current setback.

Needless to say, he and his wife Mary will not be making their summer driving trip to the northwest this year but are hoping to be able to attend WSIKF or AKA.

Please keep John in your thoughts and prayers. Mary has asked that you not email John but, instead, send an email to her (maryfarl AT msn DOTCOM) and she'll put you on her email updates if you'd like. And I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can by email or pm.

Thanks.

#3 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

He definitely has my wishes for a safe recovery.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#4 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Stay strong and know that your kiting friends are there for you and your family.

Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#5 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

All the best for you John and I hope to see you on the field soon :wub:

Take care!
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#6 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

All the healing thoughts and positive vibes I can muster are heading his way... Focus on getting through this, John!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

thpughts and prayers for john from memand my family.. i hope everything goes well for you my friend..may the winds always fill your sails
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

Sending you hugs and laughs John.
Get this beaten, See you back on the line asap.
Bazzer

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#9 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

Thank you Bob, for sharing this. I talked with John yesterday and he sounds upbeat and ready to get this healed up and move on to the next step and hopefully we will see them in August.
Hugs and kisses to both John and Mary and sending them all our prayers!

T

#10 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

We here at the office will keep you in our prayers and thoughts..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Takako and I send our love and energy, kick it's ass, we're behind you. :matrix:

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Thanks.

I went to CO in March and was supposed to get together with John. I was there for medical tests and never ended up able to make the run up to Fort Fun, so never got to meet him. He seemed very friendly and I had looked forward to seeing him.

:(

I will keep him in my prayers and, as is my way of praying, fly my kite for him tomorrow. AlasKiters is having a birthday party/Kite Day for me on Sunday and I will let all the others know to do the same.

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#13 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Get well wishes John, from Mona and I. Hope to fly with you soon and you are well enough to make it to Long Beach.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#14 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

I want to thank the kiting family for all the support. Things are looking pretty good. I am heading into the mode of watching and being careful. There are still a few more doctor visits and finish up on some plastic surgeon. Yes I have a plastic surgeon. It is looking pretty good for us making it to Washington for WSIKF, Summer Heat and all the rest of the fun events. So I am really looking forward to seeing all the REVers. We will be staying until AKA.

And yes I could feel all the good vibrations coming from kiters. Thanks

John

#15 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

John

Best wishes from the Kite Kids. Hope to see you at WSIKF.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#16 islabucasgrande

islabucasgrande
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

We are wishing you good health and fast recovery John. God bless!

#17 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Great news. Lynn and I just spent a week in Fort Collins. John is doing very well. We had several meals with John and Mary, and went flying with John a couple of times.

John and Mary are leaving tomorrow, Saturday, for WSIKF.

Seems that all of our prayers have been answered.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#18 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

Great news. Lynn and I just spent a week in Fort Collins. John is doing very well. We had several meals with John and Mary, and went flying with John a couple of times.

John and Mary are leaving tomorrow, Saturday, for WSIKF.

Seems that all of our prayers have been answered.

Hurray!!!

John and Mary, call me when you get to Troutdale!

:clap; :clap; :clap;

#19 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

Having been through my own ordeal, I can feel for the situation!! Best wishes and keep on flying!!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users