#1 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

First question:

Why do the B-Pro series NOT come with weights like the regular B-Series? Is it because they don't work the same or is it because if I am flying a B-Pro I shouldn't have to "cheat" by using weights?

Second question:

This might seem like a stupid one, but just out of curiosity, when you are putting your vertical spars in, do you move the knots for the top bungee to the inside or the outside? Do you find that it makes a difference? I move mine to the outside on all but my B-Series, and that I only do because the sail has a few wear spots and setup with the knots that way moves the spar over enough that it doesn't get worse.

---TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

The B-Pro's are usually sold as kite and bag only. Therefore they do not come with handles, weights, DVD, lines, etc... (unless you request those items when ordering).

Not sure what you mean by the knots. Perhaps I have never paid that much attention to it. :)

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:18 AM

you should rotate the elastic knot and washer assembly so that it lays as flat as possible along the leading edge,
also insure the bridle leg loops are entering the end-caps from the "centered direction" of the sail

if the sail is rubbing thru
it will only get worse, eventually you'll need a patch or reinforcement piece, time to consider your options and order the bits and pieces BEFORE it's a waste to try and save it at all!

They recover quite nicely if you're careful with the patching or repairs, heck they fly okay with thousands of hours of abuse. My best flying 1.5 is all stretched out and soft with lots of extra wear points so you can see the interior of the leading edge. Little patches all over add to the excitement.

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

[whisper]the weights are really a placebo[/whisper]

They do have an effect, but as a frame of reference, not one of the iQuad members use weights of any kind and we axel, flic flac, etc, all darned day.

Experiment with making your own various weights, try different locations on the kite, see what the effect is, find out for yourself. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

[whisper]the weights are really a placebo[/whisper]

They do have an effect, but as a frame of reference, not one of the iQuad members use weights of any kind and we axel, flic flac, etc, all darned day.

Experiment with making your own various weights, try different locations on the kite, see what the effect is, find out for yourself.

I had a friend make me some weights (2g, 3g, & 4g) because I (actually my better 3/4) kept losing them. and I find that in spins, they make a difference in the bottom tips.

I know HOW to do a flic flac, but my disability prevents me from being fast enough to ever have succeeded at it. The rest of the tricks...I have never learned to do any of the other tricks, and there is no one up here that knows how to do them...and since all you "good" fliers are too chicken to brave Alaska.... I'm not great at figuring things out for myself...lol

Still trying to con Ben into racing me on the sled...

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Still trying to con Ben into racing me on the sled...

You might have to take your sled to Ben, I dont think he likes the cold. :kid_devlish:

Anyway I wouldnt try to con him. I would just throw down that Gauntlet. :)

You Guys look like you are having great fun by the way.

#7 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

you should rotate the elastic knot and washer assembly so that it lays as flat as possible along the leading edge,
also insure the bridle leg loops are entering the end-caps from the "centered direction" of the sail

if the sail is rubbing thru
it will only get worse, eventually you'll need a patch or reinforcement piece, time to consider your options and order the bits and pieces BEFORE it's a waste to try and save it at all!

They recover quite nicely if you're careful with the patching or repairs, heck they fly okay with thousands of hours of abuse. My best flying 1.5 is all stretched out and soft with lots of extra wear points so you can see the interior of the leading edge. Little patches all over add to the excitement.

On my B-series, we went ahead and through some ripstop repair tape along where the vertical spars rub on the sail and that seems to help. My B-series has been beaten to a pulp and still flies great. The 1.5 we have is probably in the worst shape, (The older mylar version) as it has been used for pretty much everything, including what we used for pulling my wife around on her skis before we got the power blast. ::wink:: It has been, literally, drug through the mud (when we are trying to play in the pond at the park with it) and still flies well also. When you first look at them, they don't look too tough, but we've been impressed with how well ours have held up over the last year and a half. (Flying a 1.5 SUL in 15mph wind...etc)

I guess maybe I didn't word the question correctly...and I think it's merely a matter of preference...just curious as to which people use.

I suppose I *SHOULD* have said: Do you move the knots to the left or the right of the endcap when putting your vertical spars in, hence the knots being toward the wingtips or towards the center of the kite, or even one to each of those? (Either way, the knot will be flat against the leading edge material.)

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users