61 replies to this topic

#21 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

I think there should be manuals in at least English, French, Japanese and Spanish with all command names in English.
Internationally recognized terms should be 90, 180, 360, left, right, up, down and face(or leading edge). Maybe some more to come.

Sounds right to me.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#22 Mr. Guatemalan kiteFlier

Mr. Guatemalan kiteFlier
  • Forum Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi you all...!!!
I have a question for someone who has been a pilot leader, I guess my good friend and rock-star John barresi, can answer this one, but I also like to hear from John Mitchell, another big legend. Let's imagine we are READY to do a TEAM KITE FLY, and we have people from diferent nationalities, and languages, How are you going to start your calls? and can you tell me ALL of them?.....
Last time in Huntington Beach, California. I had the great pleasure to fly along Barresi, Hathaway, and other magnificent kite fliers, "and I did not know anything" about the calls, but Barresi was very effective, and excelent in explaining, how to do it. :o Can you, tell us your calls? I mean, shout if you want, I want to hear something....or if you think this is too personal please send me A personal message, that way I will understand correctly and be ready for another opportunity. I guess that's what people want to know. I personnally want to learn your calls to better myself and to help others when the need arises.
thank you so much CAMPEONES. ;)
Hasta la vista, kiters.
Hector Herrera
Mr. Guatemalan KiteFliers
*El Artesano Del Viento*

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hi you all...!!!
I have a question for someone who has been a pilot leader, I guess my good friend and rock-star John barresi, can answer this one, but I also like to hear from John Mitchell, another big legend. Let's imagine we are READY to do a TEAM KITE FLY, and we have people from diferent nationalities, and languages, How are you going to start your calls? and can you tell me ALL of them?.....
Last time in Huntington Beach, California. I had the great pleasure to fly along Barresi, Hathaway, and other magnificent kite fliers, "and I did not know anything" about the calls, but Barresi was very effective, and excelent in explaining, how to do it. :o Can you, tell us your calls? I mean, shout if you want, I want to hear something....or if you think this is too personal please send me A personal message, that way I will understand correctly and be ready for another opportunity. I guess that's what people want to know. I personnally want to learn your calls to better myself and to help others when the need arises.
thank you so much CAMPEONES. ;)
Hasta la vista, kiters.
Hector Herrera
Mr. Guatemalan KiteFliers

Hola Hector,
We met on Saturday at the KP5 at Huntington Beach.
I like you am just another flier on the teams. I leave the calls up to John B, Mark or whoever is leading the team and making the calls.
So, I shall let John B and Mark answer this. OK?

un saludo, John

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hector, the reason your experience was effective with us at Kite Party... ?

We used English calling standards, as we've been discussing here:

right
left
up
down

And, team maneuver names.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#25 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

John

What language were they using when you were in the mega fly at Berck?

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

John

What language were they using when you were in the mega fly at Berck?

Jim

I was there photographing.
I think it was Frenglish.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#27 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

I was there photographing.
I think it was Frenglish.

I took lots of photos. You will find Berck 2006 on my web site at: http://home.arcor.de...2006/index.html
The most vivid photos are on Day 2. There are more on Day 8, 9 and 10.

#28 Hans

Hans
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:05 AM

Hi, this is Hans from Team4Fun,

when Team4Fun started back in 2004 our calls were all in german. After our first visit to Berck sur Mer and Oostende/Belgium, which festivals are well known for their quadline megateams we noticed that it was difficult to switch from the german calls to the english calls. From that time Stefan, our team-leader, decided to do all the calls in english, also during the festivals where only Team4Fun flies. We noticed the advantage during the next festivals when flying together with international teams. We didn't have any difficulties with the communications when Philippe from Team FLIC or Stephen from The Flying Squad were the megateam-leaders.
During the Cervia/Italy festival last month we invited some italian pilots to join us. Until then they only flew with italian calls so there were some misunderstandings during some moves
I recommend all the non-english speaking teams to make their calls exclusively in english, even during their national festivals.

Good winds,

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:09 AM

When we did the mega fly in Berck, Stephen Hoath was translating the French calls into English for our part of the group (6+ pilots).

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#30 elalmadelpiloto

elalmadelpiloto
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

:rolleyes: Hi Kites- mates:
About Standad Calls Commands:
Mike please, I think that it could be good include in your manual a Summary "How to Calls Commands for English people".
You know, the same terms for all, also is easy not only for translation of the Spanish Version; also on going to work in the same way for "Spanish terms" by our people. I think that it works by pilosts as technical terms or professional.
Thanks to all and good winds. :rolleyes:
El Alma del Piloto - The Pilot´s Soul - AKA member - http://www.elalmadelpiloto.com

#31 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

I'm agreeable to that idea...

While it's likely that English will often be the common usage, I don't mind learning a little Spanish just in case if it's presented to me in a good format.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT... Phonetic spellings would be invaluable, so we know the sounds.

John Barresi

#32 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

I'm agreeable to that idea...

While it's likely that English will often be the common usage, I don't mind learning a little Spanish just in case if it's presented to me in a good format.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT... Phonetic spellings would be invaluable, so we know the sounds.

Si senior!!!

Muchos saludos
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#33 Fernan

Fernan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I stopped counting countries long ago. I have been to quite a number. I have never been in the contents South America or Africa.

That is very dependent on who you are dealing with. If it is for business, at a hotel or a restaurant, English is prevalent. When it comes down to the local people which tourist don't deal that often with it varies dramatically.
In Spain most often French will be their second language, probably because they border France. However, that is not totally correct because in addition to speaking Castellion(proper Spanish), they will speak their local language such as Catalan, Basque, Valencian, and etc.
In Southern France, you will find that probably the most popular second language is Spanish.
Italy is a special case and they have their local languages that in some cases are far from the proper Italian. There are areas were German prevails as a second language and in one area where is officially the second language. Their are other areas where French prevails as the second language. Tourism also tends push which second language prevails. However a substantial number of Italians speak English and quite well at that.

I think there should be manuals in at least English, French, Japanese and Spanish with all command names in English.
Internationally recognized terms should be 90, 180, 360, left, right, up, down and face(or leading edge). Maybe some more to come.

Totally in agreement with johnn mitchell, in the Basque country, we spoke aside from Spanish, Basque. The Spanish, is one of the idimos but spoken, of the world, many pilots speak this language, for that reason I believe that he must have a translation.
But I continue saying, that it will use the movements and you order them in English, because is very good for my and my team

By the way, johnn mitchell, I have seen its page, good photos.

#34 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Totally in agreement with johnn mitchell, in the Basque country, we spoke aside from Spanish, Basque. The Spanish, is one of the idimos but spoken, of the world, many pilots speak this language, for that reason I believe that he must have a translation.
But I continue saying, that it will use the movements and you order them in English, because is very good for my and my team

By the way, johnn mitchell, I have seen its page, good photos.

As John B and Mike have said, you agree also that;
Left
Right
Up
Down
90 (ninety)
180 (one eighty)
360 (three sixty)
face or leading edge (to be decided)
should be the standards used in all countries. Correct?

Please don't try any calls in Basque with me. I would be totally lost. I am told that Basque has zero relation to Spanish(Castilian). Is that true?

On my web site are pictures I took at Valencia in 2005 and 2006. Which one is you?

#35 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

FYI, I think "leading edge" might be too close to "edges" for a foreigner...

"Edges" or "to the edges" is a very common term, another we might consider for the list of English commands.

John Barresi

#36 Fernan

Fernan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

As John B and Mike have said, you agree also that;
Left
Right
Up
Down
90 (ninety)
180 (one eighty)
360 (three sixty)
face or leading edge (to be decided)
should be the standards used in all countries. Correct?

Please don't try any calls in Basque with me. I would be totally lost. I am told that Basque has zero relation to Spanish(Castilian). Is that true?

On my web site are pictures I took at Valencia in 2005 and 2006. Which one is you?

In agreement, with you order them.
With your permission I raise to a photo yours of Valencia 2006, but “high " I am, companion of Tonet- Is certain the Basoue do not have anything to do with the Latin, nor with the Spanish, am one of the old languages but of Europe.
In valence 2005, first by the right.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_DSCN0418.jpg
  • DSCN8887_sm.jpg

#37 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

FYI, I think "leading edge" might be too close to "edges" for a foreigner...

"Edges" or "to the edges" is a very common term, another we might consider for the list of English commands.

Personally I would favor "Face" for it's shortness and clarity. However, my mother language is English, so don't let me influence.

I think this should be put up for polling to those whose mother language is NOT English.

What English term do you think would fit best for "face" meaning "leading edge"?
e.g. Face Right, Face Left, Face Down, Face Up.
Ideas: Face, Leading Edge, Front, Main Edge

#38 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

In agreement, with you order them.
With your permission I raise to a photo yours of Valencia 2006, but “high " I am, companion of Tonet- Is certain the Basoue do not have anything to do with the Latin, nor with the Spanish, am one of the old languages but of Europe.
In valence 2005, first by the right.

May I presume you are referring to the right competitor in the right picture? and the upper left competitor in the left picture?

#39 Mr. Guatemalan kiteFlier

Mr. Guatemalan kiteFlier
  • Forum Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

I personnaly prefer: "face" as stated by J. Mitchell. Phonetics are very important as mentioned by: J. Barresi, but in my little experience with team flying, I suggest to the pilot leaders to SPEAK OUT LOUD... :lol: man...I am not only going deaf, :angry: but if you speak the commands for yourself, only, then the other pilots will be half way guessing...??? Huu me and my big mouth... Nothing personal Jim F.-....dig. :rolleyes:

(I guess my best position would be next to the pilot leader, that way, I CAN HEEEAR YOUUU...) :D
*El Artesano Del Viento*

#40 Fernan

Fernan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

May I presume you are referring to the right competitor in the right picture? and the upper left competitor in the left picture?

This to use a translator, that I write? I mark to you in the photos that I am.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN8887_sm.jpg
  • sm_DSCN0418.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users