Quick question-parafoils?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

I was kinda inturested in putchasing a semi-powerful parafoil kite, such as the Prism Snapshot 1.9, and was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with something like this.

also, I wanted to know if any of the forum members who happen to own kite stores might be able to provide be with a list of any products they have that are like this, because there isnt really a kite shop within a hundred miles of glorious Greensboro. and i would much prefer to perchase from someone who is a supporter of the Revolution :lol:
If only there was some wind...

#2 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

The last kite I bought before my first Rev five years ago was a cheap{not prism}version of that kite. Man that thing is fast. Indestructible too, which is a good thing because the only way I know to stop flying is full speed down. Huge thud! I just flew it 2 weeks ago. You should know there is no challenge to flying it after flying your Revs. Pluses for it are its small, cheap, easy fast setup and easy and fun to fly. I always have it with me because it is so compact.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

I've never flown a parafoil, but I did watch some dude fly one. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't hurt the darn thing!

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

I thought I read that the snapshot series were designed not to pull as hard as other foils.
When I need to get my butt dragged I put up my flexifoil super 10 (it is a dual line- 3spars make up the leading edge)
If you need more you can always stack a proteam 8 or stacker 6.
If you need to save a few $ you could always check out the Ray Murray series on cobra kites (he is the guy that designed the flexifoil series)

I hope that helps ;)
Posted Image

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

The Snapshot series has just barely been released by Prism and includes several different sizes from the small to larger. They basically took the Stylus P1 and broke it down to a couple different sizes 1.2, 1.4, and 1.9. They still have the P2, P3 and P4 which are great kites to play with. The nice thing about the P3 and P4 is that they can be converted over to quad line. The Snapshot and the P2 are only dual line.

The larger the sail the greater the pull of the kite. The Snapshot although it is labeled as 1.2, 1.4 and 1.9...the actual sail size is only .6, 1.0 and 1.5 square meters. The P2, P3 and P4 are 1.2, 2.5 and 3.5 square meters. This is the area of the sail when laid flat on the ground.

As you can see the P2 is actually smaller than the Snapshot 1.9 which is kind of strange to me. I would have assumed that Prism would have discontinued the P2 with the release of the Snapshot 1.9 but oh well.

All of that being said, the sail design itself is much more important than the actual size of the foil. For instance, the Stylus P4 measuring in at 3.5 sq meters converted to quad line will still produce less power than the Ozone Yakuza 2.2 Meter and is about as the same as the 3 meter Ozone Cult or HQ's Beamer III 3.0 meter. The Prism Stylus and Snapshots are great kites that look good in the air but I would be hesitant on listing them as a serious power kite. Other kites such as the HQ rush, the Ozone IMP or the new Ozone Quattro would be a much better choice. The Quattro comes already configured with 4 lines and handles, is more stable and the power is much more predictable and consistent. In the strong winds the Quattro is able to provide enough power for a board or buggy and in the lighter winds it is just an all around fun kite to fly. Price wise the Prism Snapshot is a good deal. Although the quality and construction is not nearly as nice as the Ozone or HQ, it is still a very well made product and it does fly very nicely.

Depending on how much pull you are looking for, I would probably suggest looking at the P3. It will have much nicer pull than the smaller Snapshot but still manageable enough for beginners. My 12 year old daughter started out with a P2 and now has an Ozone Fury 2.0 and an Ozone Riot 3.0 that she buggies with. She likes giving her P2 to her friends to try out because (in her words) "it doesn't pull that much and I don't want them to hurt my good kites".

I don't want to turn you off on the Prism power kites. They are good kites that are super fun to fly and are very affordable. If you are serious about getting a kite with a bit more power then I would suggest spending a little more on one of the other kites listed. If you just want one to play with that will tug you around in the stronger winds and are not that serious about moving into a board or buggy then the Snapshot or the Stylus series is a great choice. We also carry all of the kites I have listed.

Hope that helps.

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

get a flexifoil rage or if you can find one a bullet 2.5 they are great starter kites for power flying
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

thanks everyone for the help!

due to severe budget constraints i think i mignt want to go with the snaphot 1.9.( AWOC, what does this kite look like price wise? )

idealy i would live to have a rage 2.5 but as i said before I am quite broke (oh the joys of being a student!). so unless someone has one that they are looking to sell or some retailer takes pitty on my soul i think i might have to pass on that one for now. ::nudge::nudge:: ;)

again, thanks for the help!

Zach
If only there was some wind...

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

You might want to go to the www.gwtw-kites.com forum. they have a section for "Wanted". I'm sure someone there will give you a good price.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

thanks everyone for the help!

due to severe budget constraints i think i mignt want to go with the snaphot 1.9.( AWOC, what does this kite look like price wise? )

idealy i would live to have a rage 2.5 but as i said before I am quite broke (oh the joys of being a student!). so unless someone has one that they are looking to sell or some retailer takes pitty on my soul i think i might have to pass on that one for now. ::nudge::nudge:: ;)
again, thanks for the help!

Zach

The Snapshot 1.9 list price is 99.00. We do have a couple of P1's left in stock that I can work you a great deal on if your interested. Give me a call at our store 702-736-1476 and we can get a kite out to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users