8 replies to this topic

#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

In my goal of being able to fly street, I've started flying my 1.5 with race rods indoors along with my indoor rev. I see now what people were saying about that being more about momentum with the 1.5 since it feels a lot heavier on the lines compared to the indoor with much less float. Still, I'm able to do 360's and up and overs with it without any major problem - you just have to move a little more.

One thing that I found is that it doesn't really want to fly for very long in reverse without flipping over. I went back and watched videos of JB and Watty doing street and the most I saw them take a 1.5 backwards was an almost 90 degree horizontal arc once in JB's SS Britain video. Other than that, I don't really see any flying in reverse.

Is the 1.5 standard full sail setup just too heavy and not conducive to flying backwards in that kind of environment?

What adjustments (if any) should I be making to the tuning/setup when I take the kite from outdoors to indoors?
I know I could remove the bridle, etc but I have an indoor for a pure no wind machine - I want to do this on the bridle with the kite in its outdoor mode.

#2 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Just saw a video of Watty doing a 360 in reverse, so it must be possible and I'm guessing I've got tuning or over control issues....

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

In my goal of being able to fly street, I've started flying my 1.5 with race rods indoors along with my indoor rev. I see now what people were saying about that being more about momentum with the 1.5 since it feels a lot heavier on the lines compared to the indoor with much less float. Still, I'm able to do 360's and up and overs with it without any major problem - you just have to move a little more.

One thing that I found is that it doesn't really want to fly for very long in reverse without flipping over. I went back and watched videos of JB and Watty doing street and the most I saw them take a 1.5 backwards was an almost 90 degree horizontal arc once in JB's SS Britain video. Other than that, I don't really see any flying in reverse.

Is the 1.5 standard full sail setup just too heavy and not conducive to flying backwards in that kind of environment?

What adjustments (if any) should I be making to the tuning/setup when I take the kite from outdoors to indoors?
I know I could remove the bridle, etc but I have an indoor for a pure no wind machine - I want to do this on the bridle with the kite in its outdoor mode.

I am unsure about design complications causing the reverse problem... but reverse is a different feel from the rev indoor. The only reverse maneuver that I have found to be quite difficult in the street kiting or indoor environment is a reverse up-and-over. This is still possible through line tensioning though. As the kite come up, you need to bring your hands down to keep the lines taught. On the rev 1.5, I often find myself on my knees when I hit the peak of the up-and-over. Tensioning of the lines is key to reverse. If you start letting the top lines go too slack, air will get behind the sail causing the kite to bow tie. If you start letting the bottom lines go too slack, then you are no longer flying backwards.

Reverse is something that I tend to be careful of in street-kiting. If I am going to go in reverse I want to be sure I can pull it off. If I start to do a reverse 360 and a small gust starts to blow, the kite could bow-tie and I could lose control quickly, which is not something you would want happening on the streets.

When talking about the Rev 1.5 indoors, I can't help but mention one of it's properties that I love. The kite will glide effortlessly. If you are flying in a 360, you can spread your arms wide apart (the bottom hand towards the kite, and top hand away from the kite) and the kite will almost go flat and just glide around.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

The trick to good reverse in street flying is not more input, it's more line tension.

Use the same amount of moderated brake input, but accelerate/slow your walking speed or "draw" to increase or decrease the reverse power. ;)

The sail loading tutorial addresses some of this.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Holy batsnot Robin ... I think you may have something there.

Spence, you might have found something regarding my reverse issue with the leaders out - that flip may be because I am inadvertantly going slack on the top lines. Thanks, now I have something to look for other than me overdoing it :)

Good useful info for my indoor flying as well - I'm really enjoying it.

#6 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

To build on what Watty said a bit, you're flying indoor, not street, so you shouldn't be concerned about any "little puff of wind." Typically indoor is easier than street for that simple reason!

My preferred street/indoor kite is a II, which has roughly the same geometry as a 1.5. There's no reason with respect to the kite that you shouldn't be able to do repeat reverse 360s for as long as you feel like it.

Another good thing to practice along these lines is transitioning between forward and reverse 360s, both F->R and R->F.

#7 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

In my goal of being able to fly street, I've started flying my 1.5 with race rods indoors ......

and just an FYI here.....if you find/see videos of Lam flying Indoor....he's flying a 1.5...

Have fun!
T

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

@Theresa
The order for the lines will be coming through shortly. I got everything squared away this weekend, so I can move forward with everything I need.

#9 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

@Theresa
The order for the lines will be coming through shortly. I got everything squared away this weekend, so I can move forward with everything I need.

Thanks Steven!

We had a huge hail storm here yesterday! So had to wait till today for the skies to clear and my line making spot dry out :) Thus, didn't ship yesterday, so got your revised postal code in time :)

Thanks again!!
T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users