37 replies to this topic

#1 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Well, I got my new Progressive Rev Stack in the other day and was finally able to get some pictures of it and thought I would share them with all of you.

I haven't had a really good wind day to fly it yet but this weekend is looking very promising. I will let you all know how it goes if I get the chance to put it in the air.

Attached Thumbnails

• Progressive_Stack.jpg

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hey Kent,

Thanks for posting that, I really like the idea of the progressive stack.

Comments from you would be valued.

Particularly interested in how well it flies "out of the box" I am having to do a lot of tuning with a stack I have made. Bearing in mind I tied the lines that is not realy much of a suprise!!!

Interested in how easy it is to set up and how it is packed away? Any special advice from Rev? I seem to have an awfull lot of lines to try to keep tidy.

Other things like how much pull and controlability, would presume reasonable pull and with the Rev 2 in front good control also.

It certainly looks good in the picture.

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

looks like your flying it now i do like the color patern i got the chance to see the red white blue model ban had in oc maryland it was the 1 st one ever built i think
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

That's pretty darn cool looking. How's the pull?
Kent, we met at H.B. and you know I'm not a big guy so I prefer not too much pull.
I've retired my 6 stack of 1.5s (I think--I still fly it once in a while).

I'm looking forward to a more full report when you get the chance to really test them out.
And of course mine would have to be red, black, and white (club colors).
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

That's pretty darn cool looking. How's the pull?
Kent, we met at H.B. and you know I'm not a big guy so I prefer not too much pull.
I've retired my 6 stack of 1.5s (I think--I still fly it once in a while).

I'm looking forward to a more full report when you get the chance to really test them out.
And of course mine would have to be red, black, and white (club colors).

My experience with several progressive STACK that I made up, going back over 10 years are:
- pull is about like 2x REV Is or 3x REV 1.5s.
- not as sensitive to train line length variations or sail aging.
- starts easier as all three tend to lift off together.
- axel easier then 3x of the same type.
- last REV does not tend to lag much behind the others on tight maneuvers as does same size REVs.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

John Chilese actually took the pictures of the stack for me. He has a very HUGE webshots album of many different kites. The pictures were taken in his back yard and the stack was pulled up fast and the pictures were snapped just as fast. The winds were very poor during the photo shoot, barely enough to get the kites up straight but not enough to actually fly the stack. We're looking at some pretty good wind tonight four our weekly AWOC local fun fly so I hope to really put the progressive stack through the paces.

I will surely let you all know how it goes, lets just hope that the wind gods want to see it in the air just as badly as I do. To my knowledge this is the first progressive stack in these colors but I don't expect that to last too long. I didn't see the patriotic progressive but did see the "tony the tiger" one at KTAI this year (a red & black progressive stack that was labeled as such elsewhere).

I also just received in another box from Revolution today as I am typing. Gotta go open it up cuz I feel there may be some "Sizzle" and a "Phoenix" in it. Whoo hooo! :D

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

Interesting information John, thanks for that.

Look forward to hearing more Kent. Did you go any further with the Hawaiian btw?

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

Good assessment of the progressive stack John, I'm in total agreement.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well, the wind gods were in our favor this weekend and we put the stack up for some serious flying fun! The stack flies excellent together and everyone seemed to like it and took turns putting it up.

We were able to get some nice photo's of the stack in flight. Here is the link to John's webshots page:
Rev progressive stack photos

I really had a fun time with it and highly suggest anyone looking to put a stack together to keep this one in mind because it really does fly awesome and looks cool in the air. Pull was pretty light on the stack, I think it pulled less than my other stacks of the same models, I know the 1.5 stack pulls much harder but it has more kites on it. I will have to take it down to 3 and fly to see how the pull compares but I think the progressive stack will be less. It seems like the wind range on the progressive stack is a bit wider than stacks of similar kites. We were able to fly it in fairly light wind conditions 3-4 mphish up to 10-12 mphish with no problems at all and the pull didn't really increase that much like on my other stacks. The kites all tracked very well and I only had to do some minor adjustments on the handles to get them to fly like I wanted. I didn't really bother adjusting the stack lines because they tracked so well together it didn't seem like it would be necessary to adjust. I may play with them a little but again, not necessary. I like the progressive stack a little more than my Rev II stack (3 kites). The progressive seems to be a lot more forgiving in the turns and tracks a lot better. The flight is smoother and much more controlled. The Rev II stack is a bit faster but at times it seems like it wants to get a way from you if you don't watch it constantly. The progressive gives you a very comfortable and controllable feel but still zips around quick enough to make it super fun to fly. Overall I am very thrilled with the purchase of the progressive stack. I love the color scheme and I can always break the stack down and have one of each kite....but as fun as it is to fly I don't see that happening anytime soon!

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info Kent. And the pictures, some good ones. Looks like you had a good time.

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

i wonder what a stack of rev b kites would look like :rolleyes:

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

Let me know if you see one! ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Let me know if you see one! ;)

I have seen all the color variations at once at Mission Bay Park. Now all we need is to talk the guys into making a train.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#14 kite.flyer

kite.flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Great report and pictures on the stack, Kent.

Do you think a 90# x 85' lineset would be enough for the winds you flew? Or do you think something stronger, say 120# or 150# would be a better bet?

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well when I win the raffle kite I will make a 3 B stack up and post some pictures!!!

#16 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

well baloo i do wish you the best of luck my man but you have 2 already and i have none :( but may the best man win ;)

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

But Ant I NEED it, much more important than you just wanting it!!

#18 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

Great report and pictures on the stack, Kent.

Do you think a 90# x 85' lineset would be enough for the winds you flew? Or do you think something stronger, say 120# or 150# would be a better bet?

We flew with 150# and didn't have any problem at all even when the wind dropped out and was super light (4-5ish). The set we had was a little on the short side (about 65 ft) and I would have much preferred to go around 80 or 100 ft. Just my personal preference is all. 90# should be ok in the somewhat lighter winds we had but I would recommend going with the 150# or even 200# if the winds are going to be on the stronger side (around 10+ steady). I highly doubt you would ever need more than the 200# as the pull never got that serious with us even when the wind picked up and was averaging around 10. I tend to go a little over cautious on my line weight with stacks, line drag is not a major factor with the stacks and I would hate to cause damage to the stack with a broken line. Especially if it is only a couple bucks more to get the heavier stuff which I know will never break. 200# would never break on you regardless of wind and with a stack, I highly doubt you would be able to feel that much difference in flight between 200# spectra and 90# spectra. If you have the heavier line I would use it and save your 90# stuff for precision on your single rev.

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

We flew with 150# and didn't have any problem at all even when the wind dropped out and was super light (4-5ish). The set we had was a little on the short side (about 65 ft) and I would have much preferred to go around 80 or 100 ft. Just my personal preference is all. 90# should be ok in the somewhat lighter winds we had but I would recommend going with the 150# or even 200# if the winds are going to be on the stronger side (around 10+ steady). I highly doubt you would ever need more than the 200# as the pull never got that serious with us even when the wind picked up and was averaging around 10. I tend to go a little over cautious on my line weight with stacks, line drag is not a major factor with the stacks and I would hate to cause damage to the stack with a broken line. Especially if it is only a couple bucks more to get the heavier stuff which I know will never break. 200# would never break on you regardless of wind and with a stack, I highly doubt you would be able to feel that much difference in flight between 200# spectra and 90# spectra. If you have the heavier line I would use it and save your 90# stuff for precision on your single rev.

I would not really recommend 90# except in light "smooth winds". The main reason is because of wind gusts. Your plenty fine flying with 150# in most winds even light. In stronger smooth winds you are usually fine. But again beware of the strong gusts of winds. Then you will most likely damage your arm before a line breaks.

#20 kite.flyer

kite.flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

90# should be ok in the somewhat lighter winds we had but I would recommend going with the 150# or even 200# if the winds are going to be on the stronger side (around 10+ steady).

Going from 90# to 200# is about 3 cents per foot - pretty cheap insurance. 200# sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users