#1 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hello All,
I'm a newbie to the forum, I must say I enjoy reading everyones posts and have learned alot. I've owned a rev for almost 15 yrs(Backtracker) Remember those? When I bought the kite it came with 40' lines tied direct to the bridles and plastic revolution brand handles.
It took me a very long time just to get it in the air with no one to teach mePosted Image So after many frustrating days out I did'nt fly much. then was out flying my single lines and a dual line flyer told me I should try longer lines. I have since then tried my hand at making line set for it and have had a lot of help from the forums and kite shop owners. Sooooo I'm getting back into it a weekend at a time. Just ordered some new rev handles and I'm jacked about those arriving. I also read a post from mitch about painting his zen and did a great face lift to my kite, I'll post some pictures soon as I figure out how? Anyway hello everyone good to be here. mbro
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Awesome to have you on board! Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great people on here with tons of knowledge to help you if you ever have a question.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

A Backtracker, wow.

I have seen folks pictures on here, hope you get it to fly for you. I understand they can be a bit tricky?

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hello All,
I'm a newbie to the forum, I must say I enjoy reading everyones posts and have learned alot. I've owned a rev for almost 15 yrs(Backtracker) Remember those? When I bought the kite it came with 40' lines tied direct to the bridles and plastic revolution brand handles.
It took me a very long time just to get it in the air with no one to teach mePosted Image So after many frustrating days out I did'nt fly much. then was out flying my single lines and a dual line flyer told me I should try longer lines. I have since then tried my hand at making line set for it and have had a lot of help from the forums and kite shop owners. Sooooo I'm getting back into it a weekend at a time. Just ordered some new rev handles and I'm jacked about those arriving. I also read a post from mitch about painting his zen and did a great face lift to my kite, I'll post some pictures soon as I figure out how? Anyway hello everyone good to be here. mbro

Wow! all this on a backtracker? You may want to consider picking up a Rev 1.5. I think you will find it to be much more manageable. The Backtracker was the only Revolution kite ever to be made outside of the US. It was intended to be a cheaper model for beginners. Unfortunately, it is very twitchy and quite difficult to control, and is not all that great for beginners. I had a chance to fly one for a bit at WSIKF 2009, and it was an experience. When walking, it looked like a fat guy walking down a side-walk.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi mbro-

Welcome to the Dark Side; where flying is bright and sunny.

As you've already found out, there's tons of great info here. Of course, if you can't find the answer to something, please feel free to ask. Everyone on this forum is eager to share their knowledge and experience.

Good luck and happy flying!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#6 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes, and yes it is tricky to fly. Thats why I lost interest for a number of years. But since I've found this forum and talked to some poeple in the know I'm going to try and " get er done "so when I can afford to step up to something better I'll be ready
thanks
mbro

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

you,ve entered a great world my friend. enjoy!!!!!
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Please post a pic of your artwork on the kite!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#9 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side!

You have found the place for any info on Revolution products. The backtracker is the one exception, it is regarded as the black sheep of the family. I will echo the sentiments of others, you will have a much easier time learning to fly with the Rev 1.5 series kites. Those are the EXP, 1.5 SLE and the B-series. If you can, come on out to a kite festival this summer, or one of the west coast Revguild gatherings. The big one will be WSIKF in long Beach WA the third week of August. There are going to be rev fliers from all over the globe attending. Come on out, we WILL hand you the handles to a kite (it could be a B Pro, a Zen, masterpiece by Elliot Shook, what ever is on the end of the lines) and put a silly grin on your face.......

The hooks will be set very deep, young padawan........ :kid_loved:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#10 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sure hope you'll come join us and try out the new face of Revolution kites........ BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi All, here are the pictures of my BT, the symbol on the right stands for Revolution, the one on the left is wind,
hey RS I guess it truly is a "BLACK sheep now. ha ha ha!!Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

I wonder if you put a new bridle on it that goes all the way to the wingtips if it would fly better.
Melanie in Tennessee

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

I was just wondering that too Mel.

#14 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hey I'd be more than willing to give that a try, But, I know nothing about tying bridles. Can someone talk me through it? Or better yet, suggest someone to show me.
Mbro

#15 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

I wonder if you put a new bridle on it that goes all the way to the wingtips if it would fly better.

I think it does, take another look at the picture. I think it just looks odd because the kite is hung by the bridle.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I think it does, take another look at the picture. I think it just looks odd because the kite is hung by the bridle.

Nah, look at the first picture with the kite laying flat. the end caps are disconnected, and you can see no line attached to them.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

If you can find a picture of a current Rev you will see that the bridle is connecte at the top and bottom end caps.

Looks like the top are connected, however the bottom feeds through the sail to what looks like the down rod.

What we are suggesting is that it might fly better if the lower was connected to the bottom end cap. This would probably mean making the bridle longer.

Of course none of us who are suggesting this have ever tried it with a Backpacker, it may well make things worse?

You never know however there may be A.N.Other out ther who has tried doing this.

#18 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Maybe start by making leaders with a few knots on them and attatch them to the lower endcaps. Then disattatch the bridle from its current location and larks head it to the leaders. You can then test it out in several positions by changing which knot it is connected to. Just an idea.
Melanie in Tennessee

#19 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Maybe start by making leaders with a few knots on them and attatch them to the lower endcaps. Then disattatch the bridle from its current location and larks head it to the leaders. You can then test it out in several positions by changing which knot it is connected to. Just an idea.

What do you think, Mr Bear????
Melanie in Tennessee

#20 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:34 AM

Yep, recon that would be a good way to try things out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users