How do l make my Rev do a flip backwards

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fai2

fai2
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

Hi peoples , can some one please tell me how to make my rev flip backwards .
ls there a secret to how you do this and dose it have something to do with stand offs on the back of the kite .
cheers marce

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:55 PM

Are you talking about where the kite flips backward, then back to it's original position?

If so, that's called a flic flac...

It doesn't require any special equipment, although having a lot of brake or the extra weight of magic sticks (stand offs) can help a little.

The flic flac is initiated with a sharp, short and powerful jab downward and back with the bottom lines and a step forward, all in the blink of an eye, very quickly.

Once the bottom tips have flipped up (so you can see the back of the kite), use the same motion again (bottom lines) while taking the step back.

Ill be doing a video tutorial on the flic flac very soon, I'll be sure to post info here once it's available. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

I just put this little video together from some footage we got today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sOpgRXhPP4
(still uploading - should be available in a few minutes)

Again, I'll do something a little more detailed soon, but I hope this helps to clarify a little. ;)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'll do something a little more detailed soon, but I hope this helps to clarify a little. Posted Image

You make it quite clear to Me to be careful not to slip and hit your leg trying this trick. Posted Image

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

Sounds like that directional mic is REALLY working - I've never heard lines whip like that in any video I've seen for any kite.

I like the slow motion as well ... I think the new gear is going to make for some awesome tutorials.

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Oh yes, the new equipment made a world of difference... That video was filmed in about 12-14mph, no unbearable wind noise. :D

THANK YOU EVERYONE

==

Filmed four more tutorials yesterday... Larks head knot, line equalization basic hovers and inverted hover...

Alas, the second video frame came out too dark (bad contrast in the background) in the basic hover tutorial, will have to re-shoot in the next couple of days, and I won't release the inverted first, proper order and all... The line equalization worked well, until I saw our second tripod lurking the background of one sequence.

DOH!

Live and learn, we're in a good place now with equipment and the weather is getting better day by day...

More coming very soon. ;)

John Barresi

#7 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

ya know.... you don't have to be perfect all the time. lol, love ya.

Dean

#8 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

ya know.... you don't have to be perfect all the time. lol, love ya.

Don't worry Dean, I keep careful notes of "the other times"

:D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Alright, a full step by step tutorial for upright, inverted and sideways Flic Flac is now in the Kitelife subscribers section! ;)

HD 1280x720
http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=701

iPod 480x272
http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=695

John Barresi

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Don't worry Dean, I keep careful notes of "the other times"

:D

Wow, that must be a BIG book to carry around. Or, do you just do it in chapters?

I especially loved the video on "Basic hovers." A little over a minute into the video, JB says to bring the handle back to your hip. Then a little later you'll see him bring it back mid-stomach ... he soon recognizes where it's at and quickly lowers it to his hip. Later it looks like he just gave up and brought it back to mid-stomach.

Cheers,
Tom

PS ... Love the videos JB. They are great! But, there's a part of the sub-conscious mind that simply can't stop watching for the minor hiccup.

Edited by Jeepster, 15 April 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#11 fai2

fai2
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

Are you talking about where the kite flips backward, then back to it's original position?

If so, that's called a flic flac...

It doesn't require any special equipment, although having a lot of brake or the extra weight of magic sticks (stand offs) can help a little.

The flic flac is initiated with a sharp, short and powerful jab downward and back with the bottom lines and a step forward, all in the blink of an eye, very quickly.

Once the bottom tips have flipped up (so you can see the back of the kite), use the same motion again (bottom lines) while taking the step back.

Ill be doing a video tutorial on the flic flac very soon, I'll be sure to post info here once it's available. Posted Image

Thanks mate , yes thats what l mean . l will go and try it tomorrow at the beach and let you know how l got on Posted Image .

Edited by fai2, 16 April 2010 - 12:59 AM.

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

Good stuff fai2. ;)

I like it Tom, if you're watching for my hiccups, it hopefully means you'll be watching for your own as well. <grin>

Anyone catch the small editing error just as I start the bottom line section of Line Equalizing? :blushing:

I've almost got enough footage for a good and proper bloopers video!

Not so much funny kite mistakes (hey - what can I say), but lots of verbal stuff. LOL

John Barresi

#13 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

... I like it Tom, if you're watching for my hiccups, it hopefully means you'll be watching for your own as well. <grin> ...

If only my mistakes were simple hiccups. Usually they are of epic proportions!

Cheers,
Tom

#14 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hey All you RevHeads!

Eliot makes Magic Sticks, based on Paul LeMaster's design. We're usually sold out on the floor (they go as faxt as he makes them) so call or email if you want him to make you a set.

Can be done for Rev 1, Rev 1.5/B, or Rev 2 use.

See ya' out on a field somewhere!

Cath

Edited by Cath Shook, 12 October 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#15 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

the magic sticks aren't imperative, but they act just like car insurance (it's something you hope you NEVER need, but it's sure nice whenever something goes terribly wrong!)

The sticks on the back don't make the flic-flac trick any easier, but they certainly do prevent entanglement with the elastic knots and washers on the back of the sail (at the bottom)

You can also defeat the snagged flying lines on the back thru the addition of a little tiny "belt-loop" like device applied over those same knots & washers. Even a piece of electrical tape will due in a pinch.

Here's what the sticks will allow that seems impossible without,... a roll-up launch and landing! You'll allowing the entire kite to flip over itself and rest flat on the ground, wound-up in the flying lines, leading edge is closer to you and the REV logo is facing the ground instead of you. The sticks force those wrapped lines towards the center of the sail and you just use a two step process to unroll and relaunch. Looks way kewl and it's as easy as "walking the kite"! One quick snap backwards to unroll and stand the kite up (on the ground with the lines now cleared) and a second step backwards as you scoot airborne again.

Elliott's efforts directly install with no extra work to remove if you didn't like 'em.

Here's the other couple of benefits as I see 'em,... you are changing the balance point of the kite, increasing the glide proportion. You're also distributing the stress forces over a greater surface area (means you can frame lighter without fear of spar breakage) A tighter sail is more responsive, a lighter weight kite flies with less effort, a kite equipped to prevent tangles or the walk of shame can't be bad.

I have people doing this trick within the first five minutes of touching a REV. the only proceeding lesson is the cartwheel. Once a pilot can turn the kite over and relaunch w/o me I'm free to go on to other things (short attention span?,,, you bet!)

Attached Thumbnails

• Zen-Toss.jpg

Edited by REVflyer, 07 October 2010 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users