1.5 versus Rev 1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

After a year with my EXP, I think I'm ready to move up to my 2nd Revolution, but after reading many posts, I've thoroughly confused myself - the 1.5SLE seemed to be the best choice until I read and saw the performance of the Rev 1.
Is there a way to do a pro/con on each to determine which might suit my recreational style (never competition) and the winds and temps we have in Maine?

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well, some comments in a nutshell

Rev 1 - bigger, slower, more precise. I prefer mine with 4 wrap leading edges over SLEs. With a 2 wrap frame, very capable in very low wind.

Rev 1.5 - Same size as the EXP, but, with the SLE installed, a little less low wind range, but, comes with better handles. A little quicker than a 1, but essentially the same speed as an EXP. As you have an EXP already tho, you can easily swap its leading edge into the 1.5 SLE and have a lighter wind kite.

What are your winds like there usually?
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

We tend to have puffy winds 0f 3-6MPH generally or in the 15-25 MPH range - nothing in between.
Without sounding like a dummy - what is "X" wrap frame? I've searched through all the things I got with my kite and there is no mention of it - yet it appears everywhere on the forum.
Thanks

#4 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

Well, there's essentially a few different frame weights for Revolutions

2 wrap - refers to the super ultralight frames. These will say "Professional Use Only" on the sticker

3 wrap - refers to the ultralight frames. These will say "Ultra Light" on the sticker

4 wrap - refers to the "regular" frame. These will say "Revolution Equipped" on them.

So, given your wind range, if you got a 1.5 SLE, you'd be well covered for everything (given you can swap in the lighter EXP leading edge) and if you got a Rev 1 (my usual favorite Rev of them all!) you'd eventually want a 2 wrap frame for ultra quiet days.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

Wraps are exactly that... The number of graphite layers on any given rod.

So, a 2 wrap would be very light and not as strong (light wind)... On the opposite extreme, a 4 wrap is twice as thick and nearly twice as strong (high wind).

SLE rods are much larger than any of the others, and are the strongest (and heaviest) available.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

Wow - thanks guys - your help for a senior citizen is much appreciated!!

#7 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

In your forums, all cloth sails seem to be prefered but when I go on line, all are offered with mylar panels.
Is this all that is available now?
Speaking of the REV 1.

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

Mylar is what is generally available in the shops (Rev 1 or 1.5), but you can custom order an all ripstop sail through your local shop. ;)

If you're looking at a Rev 1, I'd personally recommend the Sedgwick Series... Much prettier, already comes in all ripstop, and the sail layout is slightly better aerodynamically.

http://www.revkites....-I.htm#sedgwick

(see my own personal kite in the photo below)

Attached Thumbnails

• lookatlines.JPG

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

I've been wondering about lighter wind kites myself. I have a B-pro and also a 20th anniversary. The latter is SUL construction and, as Lolly pointed out, has less tape and therefore a lighter sail. I can fly that thing in zero wind on short lines (10 ft) at the playground near my house (but I really can't seem to do the same with the 1.5B pro). The trouble with the 20th anniversary is it wants to spin. On short lines this means I'm struggling to keep it straight as I pull it through a 360 or over the top. I tried shortening the 'brake' line on the fast side like you guys do but honestly I can't feel a difference.

I like the Zen in really low wind, but it's really not comfortable on short lines. I'd love to have a 1.5 size kite as light as the Anniversary I can throw around on shorter lines outdoors. Would you recommend the Sedgwick? Or something else? I've never tried anything but the Zen and 1.5 series.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've been wondering about lighter wind kites myself. I have a B-pro and also a 20th anniversary. The latter is SUL construction and, as Lolly pointed out, has less tape and therefore a lighter sail. I can fly that thing in zero wind on short lines (10 ft) at the playground near my house (but I really can't seem to do the same with the 1.5B pro). The trouble with the 20th anniversary is it wants to spin. On short lines this means I'm struggling to keep it straight as I pull it through a 360 or over the top. I tried shortening the 'brake' line on the fast side like you guys do but honestly I can't feel a difference.

I like the Zen in really low wind, but it's really not comfortable on short lines. I'd love to have a 1.5 size kite as light as the Anniversary I can throw around on shorter lines outdoors. Would you recommend the Sedgwick? Or something else? I've never tried anything but the Zen and 1.5 series.

I am surprised that you find trouble with the B-Pro. I've always used a Rev 1.5 SLE (mylar panels), a regular B-Series, and more recently a B-Pro for light wind, and short lines type of flying. I suppose the 1.5 SUL is an option.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Well, there's no accounting for my spazziness. There are gusts and swirls in the playground that probably make my comparisons less than controlled. But that anniversary kite is way lighter and easier than anything else I've got. If it weren't so lopsided.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Well, there's no accounting for my spazziness. There are gusts and swirls in the playground that probably make my comparisons less than controlled. But that anniversary kite is way lighter and easier than anything else I've got. If it weren't so lopsided.

In your earlier message you asked about the Sedgewick. It is a REV I being similar to the ZEN in size and a bit slower then the ZEN and not as precise nor can it fly in as light a wind.

I am also surprised that the B-Pro is does not fill you needs here.
You could look into one of the single piece printed sails. There is as far as I know the Historical(Evolution of the Revolution) available, Gomberg Kites had some printed up last year. Or you can go for your own graphics. Call Ben or Lolly, they can fill you in on the details for all of them.

For the gusts, I little bit of venting will help a lot, however the down fall is the weight and ability to fly in low winds.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users