Photo

Supersonic vs vented Supersonic - low end speed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hello All,

I currently own a 1.5 SLE Standard; I have a 1.5 B series mid vent on the way; and for my 3rd Rev I am looking to add some speed to the mix. From all that I read here on the forum I'm liking the Supersonic but open to suggestions. I fly inland so usually I get bumpy winds and I know the vented version of any Rev is the preferred option for this type of wind. On the other hand, I realize that I'd get better low wind performance with a full sail. On windy days (windy season) I'll get 12 to 15mph bumpy wind with gusts to 18mph but most of the time I think it's more like +/- 8mph and in the summer even less. So on the low end of the wind spectrum how much difference is there between the 2 Supersonics? Can I even get fun kind of speed at 8mph or do I wind up having a fast kite that sits in the bag most of the year?

I already know I'll be buying more Revs I'm just looking for opinions on the next step where speed is the focus... or do I need to change this focus altogether?

Thanks

Edited by DonaldLL, 29 March 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

For those winds I would recommend the standard sonic, not the vented - my opinion anyways. :)

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

I would like to offer a suggestion you may want to consider.

If you can get Rev to make you up a Vented Blast (they seem to be per order only right now) I would suggest that.

OK reasoning : The blast now comes with 2 frame sets race frame for lower wind and the regular SLE for higher, I can't believe how low wind the vented blast will fly with the race rod setup ( 4mph and a little lower with experience)

The Blast has a bigger sail even vented which helps it in much lower wind then the supersonic (I do own both the reg and vented) which makes low wind flying much easier and since the introduction of the vented model (finally). When the wind gets bumpy or higher than 10 mph put the SLE rods in and continue the fun until you get dragged (then smile even more)

For me It has become in my opinion the best of the speed series kites giving the most versatility for the buck.

Recently I have been spending a lot of time in the middle of New Hampshire far away from my beloved clean ocean wind and the vented blast has not let me down in anything higher than 5 mph swirly gusty winds, Had I not been in these conditions with this kite I never would have known how truly great it was aside from the obvious "Blast" I have with it on the beach in my normal surroundings.

I haven't tried to fly either sonic in those conditions but I would expect (for the lower wind) the standard would be the choice I'd go with as the sail is smaller and you'll need all the material you can get.

Hope that either helps or confuses you into buying all of them and seeing for yourself which you might as well just give in and do it cause you will anyhow....... DENIAL, it's not just a river in Egypt ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 06-24-09_1305.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

I have both Supersonics and also live inland with bumpy winds. The vented version is smoother but also a little slower. But if your winds are more like 8mph and up I would go for the unvented version. The Supersonics do great side slides and are a blur on the spins. Rev II's are another option.

#5 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replies.

A vented Blast sounds interesting. Actually after reading many posts I thought that a vented Blast might be the right fit but I didn't think such an animal existed. It sounds like for the winds I am talking about that the standard sonic is the better of the 2 Sonics for me but a vented Blast though is interesting. I'd like to find out more about that.

Thanks

Edited by DonaldLL, 30 March 2010 - 06:44 AM.

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

The Blast is only available as a standard sail. Revolution did make a couple custom vented ones but those must be special ordered by your dealer from Revolution as they are not considered a part of the normal 2010 production models.

The Sonic is available as both a standard and vented model at any time.

#7 pwind

pwind
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

I am new to Revolution and only own a vented supersonic.

With my little exp, I fly my vented from 6 to 35 mph.

With 6 mph, I need to walk backwards from time to time, but I find this kind of wind perfect for playing near the ground, reverse slides... and flying under water with no waves.

With 35 mph or more, it is not reasonable to fly, but I keep it very slow and on the edge on the window, practicing slow turns with such winds is very interesting. Two days ago I was out with 7+ bft ! The harder part was taking off and landing.

So the vented supersonic has probably one of the widest wind range, and I would recommend it even for low winds (2 bft, not less).

But if you can order a custom vented blast, sure it's a good idea ! I did not know it was possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users