40 replies to this topic

#21 Keith Griffiths

Keith Griffiths

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

So what is needed is a generous sponsor so that provides lots of matched sets of lines for those taking part.

Or a predefined length and make of line and someone acting as police: wrong line/length and you can't join in.

You should have seen us flying dual line megateams at Rougham, Fury vented, Fury std, Lithium vented, T4 vented; line lengths from 120ft to 155ft; 3 novices in the line. You had it easy :-)
Keith
Posted Image
National Director

ExGrads pairs
Airheads demo team '10

#22 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

So what is needed is a generous sponsor so that provides lots of matched sets of lines for those taking part.

Or a predefined length and make of line and someone acting as police: wrong line/length and you can't join in.

You should have seen us flying dual line megateams at Rougham, Fury vented, Fury std, Lithium vented, T4 vented; line lengths from 120ft to 155ft; 3 novices in the line. You had it easy :-)

Keith

I never got to see dual line megateam fly as we were so far down the runway,would have been interesting to see on the various line lengths
All the best

Daz

#23 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi, there is a very practical reason a lot of us use line leader's/extender's, however if I ever get to take part in serious mega team flying as opposed to the fun stuff we were doing at Rougham, they would of course be removed as it only takes a few moment's, as a matter of interest and being a bit sad I have just measured my arm's they are 31 inches long, does one make an allowance in line length when using the long arm technique Posted Image

ps before anyone ask's I do not and have not flown power kites.

#24 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Keith

I never got to see dual line megateam fly as we were so far down the runway,would have been interesting to see on the various line lengths

Hi Daz,

I remember line length discussions from some time back (1980s I suspect) <grins>

There are now in excess of 70 Rev fliers set to attend the Washington State International Kite Festival event at Long Beach WA in August and they are hoping to put together a 'very large mega team'. Would any of your group be in a position to attend the event?

Felix

#25 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hi, there is a very practical reason a lot of us use line leader's/extender's, however if I ever get to take part in serious mega team flying as opposed to the fun stuff we were doing at Rougham, they would of course be removed as it only takes a few moment's, as a matter of interest and being a bit sad I have just measured my arm's they are 31 inches long, does one make an allowance in line length when using the long arm technique Posted Image

Hi Wobbly,

Very well said <grins>

The 'long arm technique' has certainly not been adopted in mega team flying at this stage as far as I am aware. Equally, moving collectively, on the ground has only been tentatively explored. Ironically, as far as I am aware, both issues would require that kit was set up in a consistent manner. A 'leading edge up hover' relies on some pretty basic physics as far as I am aware... There is no magic <grins>

Felix

#26 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Hi, there is a very practical reason a lot of us use line leader's/extender's, however if I ever get to take part in serious mega team flying as opposed to the fun stuff we were doing at Rougham, they would of course be removed as it only takes a few moment's, as a matter of interest and being a bit sad I have just measured my arm's they are 31 inches long, does one make an allowance in line length when using the long arm technique  Posted Image

Hi Wobbly, length of arms has already been discussed at length.  It is a real and natural advantage in some areas of flying, particular Dual line.  Think here snap stalls, slack line moves etc..  add in a long stride and you have a person with a natural advantage.  IMO a dual line team should have flyers of approx same body style as it make setting the moves much easier. 

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#27 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Any Video of Quad team competition at Rougham ?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#28 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi Daz,

I remember line length discussions from some time back (1980s I suspect) <grins>

There are now in excess of 70 Rev fliers set to attend the Washington State International Kite Festival event at Long Beach WA in August and they are hoping to put together a 'very large mega team'. Would any of your group be in a position to attend the event?

Felix

I would love to attend.But with ever changing shift patterns at work,and other people on holiday that week,I can not get the time off,so I will have to give the chance of a 100 person megafly a miss sadly.Perhaps when you get back you can arrange something for Portsmouth,the following weekend.We might not get 100 but I am sure we can get a fair few revs in the sky
All the best

Daz

#29 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

I would love to attend.But with ever changing shift patterns at work,and other people on holiday that week,I can not get the time off,so I will have to give the chance of a 100 person megafly a miss sadly.Perhaps when you get back you can arrange something for Portsmouth,the following weekend.We might not get 100 but I am sure we can get a fair few revs in the sky

Hmmm... I don't think that a repeat of 2008 is on the cards at Portsmouth this year. <grins>

As I mentioned at Rougham, the process of arranging such an event is not trivial. Berck 2011 may be the next event where a large number of Rev Fliers congregate. iQuad have indicated that they will attend.

Felix

#30 Keith Griffiths

Keith Griffiths

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

Besides, Portsmouth's "big thing" this year will be a megateam of multi-kite fliers, so there will be no space for the revs to have a practice field.
Keith
Posted Image
National Director

ExGrads pairs
Airheads demo team '10

#31 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Besides, Portsmouth's "big thing" this year will be a megateam of multi-kite fliers, so there will be no space for the revs to have a practice field.

Cool I'll take my STACK !!!   :blue-grin:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#32 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Cool I'll take my STACK !!! :blue-grin:

I took it to mean that the fliers would be flying 2, 3 or more kites on independent lines, 2s or 4s not multiple kites on on 1, 2 or 4 lines. (3 line kites were something else!)

Felix

#33 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

Jay any video from the Bunnies doing QUAD?

Edited by Simon, 20 May 2010 - 10:03 AM.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#34 Keith Griffiths

Keith Griffiths

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Didn't happen, Chris wasn't at Rougham. And they would be flying as Evolver anyway.

As I understand it they were only going to do multi-line team because someone from TFS said they would be competing in team this year.

The site was so big I needed binoculars to see the rev flyers, don't think any of them made it as far as the STACK arena.
Keith
Posted Image
National Director

ExGrads pairs
Airheads demo team '10

#35 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Didn't happen, Chris wasn't at Rougham. And they would be flying as Evolver anyway.

As I understand it they were only going to do multi-line team because someone from TFS said they would be competing in team this year.

The site was so big I needed binoculars to see the rev flyers, don't think any of them made it as far as the STACK arena.

Keith, if you can find out which one of us said we would compete i can arrange for them to be shot at dawn! They'll be wanting to make decisions about music choice next!

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#36 Keith Griffiths

Keith Griffiths

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:39 PM

He, he, thought you'd like that.

Sounds like you team are about to mutiny. Thinking for themselves, whatever next? :P
Keith
Posted Image
National Director

ExGrads pairs
Airheads demo team '10

#37 Martin Linford

Martin Linford
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi Keith

Well I was one Rev flyer who made my way over to the Stack area for a chat with Andy Taylor and youself, to watch the single Rev competitor and join in with the Dual-line mega team Posted Image

And what fun it was !!

Martin

#38 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

He, he, thought you'd like that.

Sounds like you team are about to mutiny. Thinking for themselves, whatever next? :P

Mutiny you say ....not a chance we loves it the way it is Posted Image
GARY

Posted Image

#39 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

BTW re TFS competing, When I have an opinion on this Stephen will tell me what it is.  Stephen makes all the big decisions and as soon as there is one Susan will tell Stephen what it is.  Until then she makes all the decisionsHope that's clear.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#40 Keith Griffiths

Keith Griffiths

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Hi Keith

Well I was one Rev flyer who made my way over to the Stack area for a chat with Andy Taylor and youself, to watch the single Rev competitor and join in with the Dual-line mega team Posted Image

And what fun it was !!

Martin

True, apologies. I should have said 'many' not 'any'.
Keith
Posted Image
National Director

ExGrads pairs
Airheads demo team '10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users