congrats to you redrocket!!!!
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#22 Redrocket

Redrocket
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hi all,

Hey Kristalis, those videos were damn fine. I like the idea of those sleeving things, they really look the business don't they? And they appear to make adjusting the line lengths reasonably easy as well…….….bonus. I used the 'tie a bunch of knots' method. It seems to have worked okay. That plastic line gauge was also a pretty cool idea – where do you buy those things from? Are they available in the UK?

Ummm…..why did I choose that length eh Baloo? Think I read somewhere that 90 feet was a good length and being English and in the engineering business for twenty odd years I certainly couldn't allow my lines to be measured in feet (no disrespect to the majority of posters on here), so I chose the sort of nearest metric equivalent. Unfortunately, 90 feet equates to 27metres 432mm. I just upped it to 28 metres (approx 92 feet)………………………There ya go, my reasoning – strange but true.

Thanks for the confidence boost Antman, much appreciated.

I'm up to around a whooping 5 hours flight time now (lookout John B. and Watty). Should I re-check my line lengths yet, or leave it a bit longer?

Bye Bye

Chris

#23 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

The Moran Equais(z)er looks pretty cool alright. Don't seem to make them anymore. Although if you look on climax winders they have one built into them. They help with balancing line length but really aren't necessary, but might be worth checking out.

One thing if you are sleeving make sure the sleeves are all equal....I make them 30cm long, seems to be enough to allow for two nice knots to lock the line up. As good as sleeving is, I've found it can be a little fiddly to get right especially when out in the field, messing around with piano wire and sleeving is the last thing I want to be doing Posted Image

I haven't but I must try make up some lines without sleeving just to see whats what.

Don't forget to check your line lengths from time to time as they do stretch with with time and flying in strong winds will no doubt help the creep too..... I think its good to practise to string them out before packing away, from time to time, just to make sure they're equal.

Chris

#24 Redrocket

Redrocket
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hello All,

Well…….I'm still occasionally getting in the kite practise; probably up around the 16/17 hrs of flight time now. Things are starting to fall into place as well – it's nice not to keep hitting he ground cause you rotate your wrists the wrong way.

What I am struggling with is the will-power to practise the basics like hovering in the various positions for instance. When the wind is up it's soooooo much more fun just racing the kite around like a maniac with only minimal control. I have however now worked out the technique for hovering vertically left and right but still need a lot more practise. The inverted hover still eludes me though, although, having said that, if I cheat and spin the kite 3 or 4 times, the resistance in the twisted lines help to prevent me form over correcting. So perhaps I am learning? Side sliding?.........nah, ain't got a clue, not that I'm bothered at the moment, perhaps one day.

Anyway, that's things as of yesterday, slow progress but I'm getting there………

See ya

Chris

#25 Redrocket

Redrocket
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hello all,

I must have close to 40 hours flight time now and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy the manic flying of 25+ mph winds with my EXP on 14 metre lines. I know, I need a vented kite for the ease and precision of high wind flying – people keep saying that to me, and I will get one eventually. But the excitement and challenge of trying to control my lad in high gusty winds is soooo much fun for me, racing across the window barely in control, shooting upwards or outwards to the edge with no brakes in emergencies then attempting to fly, slide and turn slowly without being pulled forward……love it. Propeller spins are incredible. I tend not to do those too close to the ground though, cause they rarely stop in the direction I want in those winds.

Anyway, I know it will end in tears one day, but for the time being I can't get enough of it ......................saddy.

See ya

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users