5 replies to this topic

#1 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

I am flying my blast with my 1.5 handles and I am wondering if others do this?
Any size difference between blast and 1.5 handles?

Ken

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

My blast handles are currently powering the new Zen (with a set of 120' fifty# LPG lines). They are longer (fifteen inches measured across the gap) and look like wrapped carbon, with the angular attachment point for leaders.

I have used 'em effectively (in low wind mostly) on a variety of shaped & sized REVs, from the 2 to the rev 1 plus all the 1point5 versions. It's all good! Variety is the spice of life, whenever you can't afford a new kite change something with an old one.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi Ken, I often fly a Blast on 1.5 handles. I am fairly sure they are well strong enough.

I also use the Blast handles on 1.5's.

I sort of presume that the carbon wrap is for strength? rather than just to make them look different.

I would go with the "use what feels good to you" idea myself.

Must admit my fave set are the Baz ultra no snags though.

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

As long as you are in the lighter winds then you are ok. If the winds pick up then you want to be careful. The carbon on the Blast handles are for strength and I have folded up a pair of standard 13" handles with the Blast (while buggying...but it was a BLAST while it lasted).

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info on the carbon round the Blast handles, I had always thought it was a strength thing.

They are quite cool looking in black though :-)

#6 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

When I first started flying a friends standard blast, all I had around was 1.5 handles, though I didn't have a buggy at the time.

The weirdest thing so far had to be going from flying a Blast 2-4 on its handles to putting a Shockwave on the end of the same lines. I don't know how many times I pulled that Shockwave over that night trying to launch the thing. Haven't tried a 1.5 on Blast handles, but a Shockwave becomes even more squirrelly.

I did notice that the angling is a little big different on the Blast handles, a little bit straighter. How do they compare to the angling of indoors? [I'd look but they're on a trip atm, and since we're talking about light wind flying.]

And for anyone flying a Blast out there, do you have different knot settings on your handles and what do you use them for in particular? i.e. flying a monstrosity in almost no wind or adjustments for pull?

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users