av-1950.jpg

#22 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:33 AM

It's the press, you certainly know how they operate Rich. They call you an hour before they need you!

I submitted a list of proposed participants, six names on Monday the 15th. I also faxed all of the biographies to the producer rather than cluttering-up her email box, some of the individual files were over 2 megs as PDFs! It's a darn good thing I found the producer first, MAN these are some talented folks that I have committed to this event!

We have six significant others (plus the 5 names listed below who are waiting patiently by the telephone for interviews).
Ian Willoughby - Jeff Burka - Paul Dugard - Dave Ashworth - Mike Mosman

Additionally, I have "walk-ons" who have expressed interested as well, ... Sammy, Laura and yourself. I'd envisioned going out with the location and our plan to this forum, for anyone else who might be interested & live nearby, but alas all I've done so far is buy 2 rail passes for Barbara and I.

#23 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:53 AM

Well, if nothing else, once the show is over, we should all go fly somewhere!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#24 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

maybe for a little while Rich,
but we all have to get back Thursday afternoon to be ready for the Smithsonian outdoor festival the next day. No parking down there, you've gotta' arrive by 5ish or you can't get within a hundred miles of the place! The festival starts at 10 but only those folks taking metro rail can access it easily, even then it's a few blocks worth of walking.

National Cherry blossom festival & spring time with the monument crowds out in force, both the tourists and the locals. I hope we have better weather than last year, it's was raining hard and a muddy, slippery mess.

I think my train pulls out of Penn Station @ 1:10 pm Thursday, but the TV program should be over after 9:00 (CBS Early Show,... Harry Smith is a kite flier by the way!)

#25 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Rich, Laura, Sammy,... the producer needs your phone numbers too! She wants to talk to everybody I guess. She just got off of the phone with Ian's parents so I'm assuming he's "in" now.

#26 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

maybe for a little while Rich,
but we all have to get back Thursday afternoon to be ready for the Smithsonian outdoor festival the next day.

You mean Friday afternoon!

No parking down there, you've gotta' arrive by 5ish or you can't get within a hundred miles of the place! The festival starts at 10 but only those folks taking metro rail can access it easily

Then there are those of us who simply walk to the festival from home...

#27 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

HEy guys
sounds awesome! IDK what i am missing but when are we going to met like what date. Is it going to be live ?

paul PM yr way with my number!

ah found it The show date is Friday the 26th of March .........

Edited by sammy, 18 March 2010 - 05:16 PM.

RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#28 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi Paul...

Sweeeeet stuff!!!

Sending you a PM now...
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#29 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

not many can walk to the washington monument from their residence!

#30 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Paul,
Spoke to Debbie this afternoon. Meeting with her and Lisa Monday morning to do a site survey of sorts.
Though it is likely the segment will take place on their plaza right in front of their bldg on 59th st. & 5th ave. Keep in mind the segment will probably only last 5 minutes or so and whatever bump shots they use going to or coming out of a break.
It's in a plaza type area with exposure to Central park and The Plaza Hotel. Swirly breezes will certainly be the norm and hope that it isn't from the east!!!!!
50 ft lines will probably be the longest we could fly, and will likely be the call, maybe 25s if all else fails and there is light to no breeze at all.

Edited by quaa714, 19 March 2010 - 01:42 PM.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#31 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Then there are those of us who simply walk to the festival from home...

Grrrr, the parking and traffic has me considering passing. Last time I went down there it took 2 1/2 hours to get there by subway. If I thought I could park within a mile I'd drive...

Anybody know of any parking in the K street area or closer???

-Alden

Edited by AldenMiler, 19 March 2010 - 02:51 PM.

"Don't go in there!" RC

#32 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for helping me out Rich, Lisa and the rest of your team up north with this project!

Lisa explained the flying area to me by the number of approximate parking spaces available. She lead me to believe it is 4 cars deep x 2 cars wide (worth of space to work within). That means my fifteen foot lines are probably too long! Everyone already understands my buddy Ian (Willoughby) is the show,... if the conditions are in any way favorable! The rest of us are just an insurance policy.

We can hold 10 feet worth of alleyway (for our staging area) plus get a little display of various kite types set-up.

Five minutes is more than enough time to talk about kites in general, give a quickie little flying lesson, sneak in mentioning the smithsonian festival (which kicks off Nat'l Kite Month in particular) and our love of a certain manufacturer's quad-lined products (who is to remain unnamed). Face it!,. we are even less in numbers than archery enthusiasts,... nobody ever heard of a sport kite. The only reason we are in at at all is because we SAW somebody doing it and it looked interesting.

I've had several conversations with the producer now, but the details are still sorely lacking.
(I am pretty spoiled being married to Barbara. My bride is the reigning queen of structure & organization, if you haven't met her. I'm more like a deck of cards in a windstorm!)

-paul

Here's some photos from the Air & Space Museum
http://community.web.../user/DaveS0715

#33 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hi Paul-

Nice photos from the Air & Space Museum.

You mentioned a little display area. Will these all be Revs or a little of everything? I can bring some SLK's if you like, too.

Even though the space isn't too big, we'll make it work. As long as you're able to promote the Smithsonian Fly and the kites "we love to fly", it'll be a success!
Laura

Posted Image

#34 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for helping me out Rich, Lisa and the rest of your team up north with this project!

-paul

Here's some photos from the Air & Space Museum
http://community.web.../user/DaveS0715

No worries pal. Happy to help!

It appeared the producer was somewhat unprepared for and a little overwhelmed by the amount of detail we were prepared to give her. Not surprising though considering how little the public knows about kiting beyond single line kites and dual line kites tangentially. Certainly not quads, roks, the various disciplines, etc.
In essence, it will come down to you "dumbing" it down for the audience at large.
Details about what to expect, if they come at all, will likely come together early Friday morning. That is the nature of live TV.

5 minutes, if it even gets that much time, may not seem like much time for a segment, consider that a person speaking conversationally can speak understandably at least 6 words per second. That, and consider a no wind, fly or die, live TV, no fixes segment that airs in 3 different time zones, unedited. Glad I'm just the pit/field crew!

The flying area is small to be sure and will favor shorter lines, 15s' will work, but certainly no longer than that. Lisa's description is accurate and really the only killer will be an east wind. Other than that the likelihood will be swirling, buffeting breezes and with luck those will be out of the northwest.
Pit area will be approx 10x10, next to studio entrance and very close to flying area.
Lisa and I agree that we should have either Sammy or Laura standing by to "protect" the pit area while the segment is ongoing so I can be out near the flyers should they need assistance of any kind.

While our favorite quad line kite manufacturer might not be named on air or logo's worn by the "on air" pilots, it does not preclude "audience" (Sammy, Laura) members from wearing their favorite sweatshirt, etc. In addition, as background scenery, I'll be working with their scenic director to prominently display a number of easily identifiable kites......we'll have to wait and see though just how many we can use or be seen during the segment.

Incidentally, if my guess is correct, this segment would likely air in the 8AM hour.

Looking forward to seeing you guys dark and early on Friday, probably around 5AM......heheheheh!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#35 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

I think the spectators will get enough of the quad stuff, we should display each of the kite types,.... foil, framed, cellular, the stranger the better, something that doesn't even look like it should fly would be ideal!

#36 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

I think the spectators will get enough of the quad stuff, we should display each of the kite types,.... foil, framed, cellular, the stranger the better, something that doesn't even look like it should fly would be ideal!

Hahahahaha, there are so many good one liners that could follow your last comment!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#37 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've got 10', 15', and 25' quad sets ready, along with my custom race SUL II, vented II, and a Bazzer SUL Pro. Still debating if there are other kites (display) worth schlepping up on the train.

Really hoping I can get a few minutes tonight and tomorrow night to fly a bit...

#38 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

rich good stuff brada!
Just let me know where to go and i am there, oh yeh i can dress up as a hotdog and i can tell people to " ask me about my weiner" ,....... what movie is that from lol ahahahah
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#39 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

I am just hoping you guys will post a video link of the mayhem after it airs!!!! :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#40 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I am just hoping you guys will post a video link of the mayhem after it airs!!!! :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish: :kid_devlish:

Hi Walt-

I'm sure we'll have a link to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolyn finds and posts a link before we're back from the city..... thanks Carolyn!
Laura

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users