Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:01 AM

okay my REV sistas and bros,
so I own at least one set of all the tubes REV makes
(except the silver bullets).

When do you use the Zen, Race, 2 plys, 3 plys and the 4s?

Almost all my kites are currently sporting the RACE rods, regardless of the sail configuration types SUL, Standard, Mid- & Full Vent.

I recently acquired a single set of Zen tubes for the 1point5s, What's the best kite to put them in?

I have a bunch of different revolution kites, my favorite is still a highly customized original B-Series SUL though.
(somehow it outflies every other model I own. I don't know if it's the sail stretch or I was just lucky that day opening the Fedex Tube!)

I'm gradually switching out all the bridles to the French model too (which I was introduced to on this forum,.. THANKS whoever posted it initially!)

-paul

#2 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

Obviously I'm no Rev Guru, but most times I am flying on Race Rods. I find that they work for most of my local wind conditions. This pretty much covers 5-15mph for me. I use 2 Wraps for short line / light wind flying, 3 Wraps when I want to learn something and need to abuse my kite a little (or it's gusty out), and I have 4 wraps for heavy wind beach flying. The SLE rods are bound for some repurposing...

I have yet to try Zen Rods or Silver Bullets, so no opinion there as of yet.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#3 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi Paul-

How's everything? How's Barbara feeling?

I'm with you regarding the Race Rods.... I use them in almost every kite, too; with one exception. In many cases, except my lightest kites, I prefer a 3 wrap center. It just stiffens the center a bit more; so the frame isn't quite as springy. I flew with the Zen 1.5's over the weekend. I found that to be quite similar to that set up, but perhaps a bit lighter. I'm not quite sure about that, though, as I flew that on 15" handles vs. 13" with my race/ 3 wrap center.

The silver bullets are cool, too. I use them in a light wind kite. They are a bit more springy than I like, but get the job done fairly well!

I do want a set of the Zen 1.5's.

Eliot's weave, is set up with a 3 wrap frame. The full vent is usually 4 wrap as that's the go-to for the extreme wind, otherwise it's the weave or a mid vent with Race Rods.

If I can help it, I fly whatever's in the kite. I try not to have change any frames unless we're doing the team thing and it's requested by our fearless Posted Image leader. Posted Image Posted Image

Say hello to Barb, please.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

Almost all my kites are currently sporting the RACE rods, regardless of the sail configuration types SUL, Standard, Mid- & Full Vent.

I recently acquired a single set of Zen tubes for the 1point5s,  What's the best kite to put them in?

I have a bunch of different revolution kites, my favorite is still a highly customized original B-Series SUL though.
(somehow it outflies every other model I own. I don't know if it's the sail stretch or I was just lucky that day opening the Fedex Tube!)

I'm gradually switching out all the bridles to the French model too (which I was introduced to on this forum,.. THANKS whoever posted it initially!)

-paul

Hi Paul, we tend to team fly most of the time.  This involves on eof the old guys setting up a kite and because they are old and slow we stick with that  :kid_devlish:

But, really... We pick the sail we think will work best for what we want to do, then select the rod's that match the situation.

So Race in a Gonzalez printed sail is a good  :blue-love: low to no wind option.  If it's a gusty day and there is some wind and you want to smooth the gusts a bit light wind, same sail, then try a 2 wrap.  I like the flex of the 2 wrap, like the Race for the "snap"

Wind picks up, so move to a standard sail, & UL rods, if the wind is dropping, use Race

Wind gets more gusty but not too strong, use a Bazzer twister with UL, can the change to Race if still gusty but drops.

More wind, Vented, UL Frame, (love the Vent with 2 wrap or Race soooo smooth :blue-love:)

Even more wind, 4 wrap and Vented... West coast of France, Belgium or Feuteventura Tea Bag Rev (old rev sail attacked by Steve or Stephen) + 3 wrap.

Very strong wind Tea Bag, 4 Wrap.

Over 40 mph, SLE, 4 wrap (may double up ) & 150 LBS lines - Tea Bag.

All the above will be denied by my colleagues and they will pick a different combination so we compromise until we get something that "works".  Which is why the Team works.

As someone once said there is no "I" in Team... and Theres no "WE" in Wedding  :lol:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#5 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

I recently acquired a single set of Zen tubes for the 1point5s, What's the best kite to put them in?

-paul

I have been flying my Martin Lester with 1.5 ZEN rods since Treasure Island and it is simply an F1 race machine down to almost ZERO wind, requiring very small inputs. The phrase, "less is more" comes to mind. It is very precise and snappy. I liked it so much in fact, that I just got a 2nd set that will likely go in one of my vented kites (mid or otherwise).
This week I plan on doing a little side by side comparison of the 1.5 ZEN rods and the Silver Bullet frame. I'll post back with comments....valid or otherwise~!
I do fly most of my other kites with Race frames as a relative starting point. As has been stated, as the wind goes up, the sail and frames will change as well.
Team flying......whatever the boss likes!!!

Ben Proof suit going on.............:kid_loved::innocent::blue-cool:
I will say though, that unlike the other frames, the ZEN rods seem to "wear off" a black strip onto the sail. Not sure why but I'm guessing its likely due to the manufacturing process (the rods are silky smooth to the touch & texture wise, very different then the other frames). That said, if you know me then you know my sails are flown hard but with much love so a little black on the sail ain't no thing!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

-paul

Hi Paul,

The majority of the time, I use race rods. I'll use them in a full sail B-Series indoors, and up to around 9 or 10 miles per hour. At that point I switch to a full-vent with race rods, then go up to 3 wrap and 4 wrap as the wind increases. I do have a set of 2 wraps, but they bend a bit much for my tastes, but I will use them if, for example, I have been flying on my full-sail B-Series on 120' lines, but I feel like playing on some shorty 30' lines, I just grab my old full-sail rev 1.5 and use the 2 wrap. I don't think the race rods ever leave my full-sail B-Series unless I am flying team, in which case, I will set up what whatever the rest of the team is using.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

As someone once said there is no "I" in Team... and Theres no "WE" in Wedding :lol:

Ahem, iQuad. :)

We tend to do much the same as Simon described, select a sail for the task and wind, then spars factor in... Sort of a single mental process though.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

thanks for the all comments gang,
I'm interested in your comparison comments Rich since you own all the frame sets.

#9 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:46 AM

paul. where you live i cant see you useing anything other then sky shark tapers or racerods.. i use 2 and 3 wraps the most in my area with all the winds i get.. i do use race rods in my inner panel midvent for when i fly inland
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#10 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

Where do you get race rods?

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#11 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:49 AM

Either from the factory "direct" or thru your favorite kite retailer. They are the same price regardless of the acquisition path chosen.

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

We have race rods in stock and can ship them to you if your local kite dealer can't take care of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users