68 replies to this topic

#41 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

I've just added two more tutorials to the Kitelife channel on YouTube, covering the Larks Head Knot and Line Equalization...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjXraxUfMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIbbM3udKFI

In addition, we've also added tutorials for Tuning Theory I and Inverted Hover to our Kitelife subscribers section. ;)

http://kitelife.com/...ads&showcat=106

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#42 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Wow John, this new kit will be worn out in no tine the rate you are going at it.

Thanks.

#43 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

The "Basic Hovers" tutorial is also being uploaded as we speak. :)

We'll certainly put this new gear through it's paces, working really well so far!

Heck of a difference with the new microphone, eh? :kid_content:

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#44 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

Just finished uploading the Basic Hovers tutorial to YouTube...

I'm also uploading the Bicycle Rotation tutorial to Kitelife as we speak. ;)

John Barresi

#45 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Lightbulb moment ....

Watching the inverted hover video, I could really see how the flexation in the frame (especially the verticals) was acting like flaps and flying the kite, filling the sail, etc.

I'm going to need to get someone to video my Rev at the end of my lines as I'm working on hovers (normal and sideways, not inverted for now) to see how much flexation I'm getting. Having sacrificed a few bits of carbon on duals and 1 Rev 4-wrap (all while learning) I usually go with 4 wraps every time. Granted we tend to have stronger wind here (which is why kite surfing is so popular), but I may be over-engineering to safeguard against breakage and being counter-productive to control.

What may be useful in the videos is to state what wind speeds, kite, frame and line set you are using. This would also have the added bonus of helping new people start to match setup to conditions.

Great material which should really accelerate my learning time.

#46 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:49 AM

In addition to the stuff we've put up on YouTube, here are the latest videos uploaded for Kitelife subscribers...

Tuning Theory I - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=684
Inverted Hover - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=683
Bicycle Rotation - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=691

I'll be curious to hear more feedback on all the tutorials, it helps me a great deal with how to improve and expand in the future!

With regard to wind/equipment, I think I'll stay away from identifying them in the individual tutorials, because I like the idea of folks focusing on the skills, not the equipment.

In terms of choosing the right gear, at some point, I'll try to do a video on some of the signs folks can look for or what equipment to utilize for various conditions. ;)

John Barresi

#47 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

Well I've downloaded and watched all of them already (incl kitelife ones) at work ... I'm just rewatching them as I get a chance to try pick up more things and let it all sink in.

I guess you could cover the choosing of the right gear in a video that covers the different types of gear (indoor, EXP, SLE, B, B-Pro, Zen, rods, etc) and where they are applicable and why.

Now that I mention it, when the weather isn't that great, how about some indoor rev stuff? Posted Image

One thing that I'm still trying to get right in my head is your hands. At times they're twitching like theres no tomorrow and then you'll start talking and they go dead still ... yet the kite is still holding the same position. Sometimes you do the opposite - you'll be holding steady and then you wave the relevant bottom line drastically to show which line you're talking about and yet the kite does nothing. Posted Image

I guess thats coming under posture and hand position....

#48 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Sadly, I don't have a local indoor venue... I'd very much like to do some indoor tuts, but no place to do it. :(

What you're seeing in the twitching is compensation, and the same for the "illustrated" one hand movements, using the other hand or line.

Body, posture and hand position are a separate item, having to do with relaxed stance, ergonomics and efficiency.

Choosing the right Rev equipment is really tough to encompass in a video tutorial, because there are so many choices, very few narrow answers, just a few key things to look for (over flexing of the leading edge or conversely, not enough lift).

Sadly, that's one of those things that a lot of folks will simply have to experiment and do the research on.

BEAUTIFUL weather today, going to go and try for some more filming. :)

John Barresi

#49 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Are the You Tube videos also going on Kitelife for easy download?

I'm getting a new iPod. Seems like a good idea for me to dump all of these onto it.

Bart

#50 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

ALL tutorials can be found on Kitelife (subscribers section) in both HD and iPod formats, YouTube has some of those as well (the basics).

11 total tutorials, 6 of which are on YouTube too... This does not include the grid intro, which I don't really count as instructional, more informational. ;)

John Barresi

#51 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Any chance you can convey some indoor skills at an outdoor venue with a 1.5 .... kinda street style ... or is it too vastly different?

I'm assuming you practice your indoor skills somewhere, and it sounds like the majority of that practice comes outdoors - so is there anything you can put on video for those who already fly outdoors and want to do some indoors or street style?

(Just shooting in the dark here because I don't know what I don't know ... so I may as well ask)

#52 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

No way to duplicate indoor skills outdoors, vastly different indeed.

I never practice indoors, only fly at the events as space is available.

Remember, I've been flying both dual and quad kites for 20 years, it only takes me 15-20 minutes to shake off the rust... Even for outdoor stuff, I rarely practice, I still generally fly only at events... Tutorial filming and dock flying is fairly infrequent, and generally my only times out for local flying. ;)

Indoor and street style are different animals entirely... Street is constant shifting between kite/glider modes, always feeling shifts in wind, being aware of your environment and using the kite's weight and inertia to your advantage... Indoor is sustained tension without any wind window to hold you back, continual tension (hard or soft), 360s and up/overs.

John Barresi

#53 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hey John,
I've downloaded all the tutorials, and as far as I'm concerned, they are priceless. As they say, a picture is worth, well, a lot. Thanks again, for all you do, and for your continued dedication, to the hobby/sport, that we all love...............thank you, thank you, thank you Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#54 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

John, I recently signed up as a Kitelife subscriber. The main reason was for access to all tutorials. They are very informative and well done..... excellent job

Donald

#55 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Donald, both for the kudos and for your support, I'm very glad the tutorials have been of use... My thanks to Nick and everyone else as well. :)

4-5 more on their way tonight or tomorrow... Flic flac, side slide, sail loading, body/posture/grip, maybe more!

I'd also like to hear back from y'all in week or two, to hear how much you've been able to implement the skills, based of the tutorials provided... If you're willing.

John Barresi

#56 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hi John,

I have all the tutorials downloaded. Very professional content wise. Thanks for your effort Posted Image

Maybe a few suggestions here and there from me you can think about. Not sure if its in the direction of your plans but maybe you can put it in your future todo list?

• Technique in controlling the kite in reverse. Reverse pivots, reverse arcs etc. This is one area I'm slowly starting to get into now. Some advanced reverse flight tips would be nice.
  • Calculating or figuring out line twists/wraps in a team flying setting? Not sure if there are any secret formulas to that or its just simplying trying it and figuring out..(Like for example, I wanna do a Dosey Do immediately after a Blender, or we just did a compound benefit, can I do this move without messing up my twists etc)
  • Street Flying tips and techniques, per what you have alluded to earlier. How to react when wind drops,fluctuates or gusts and make your Rev flying look good. Maybe incorporating the effects of different line lengths in how they affect the ease and control in this situation?
  • Some extras maybe towards the end after you have exhausted all your planned ideas..just for entertainment and not really technique focused per se Posted Image - How to fly in the water, a bicycle rotation in the water, dog staking, one handed flying, how to walk the kite etc..you know, the other really fun and not so "serious" aspects of flying a Rev

Darryl

Edited by lasapcheong, 15 April 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#57 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

Maybe a few suggestions here and there from me you can think about. Not sure if its in the direction of your plans but maybe you can put it in your future todo list?

Suggestions are always welcome. :)

• Technique in controlling the kite in reverse. Reverse pivots, reverse arcs etc. This is one area I'm slowly starting to get into now. Some advanced reverse flight tips would be nice.

Aye, just finished the basic reverse... Advanced reverse is already on the list for some point in the future.

• Calculating or figuring out line twists/wraps in a team flying setting? Not sure if there are any secret formulas to that or its just simplying trying it and figuring out..(Like for example, I wanna do a Dosey Do immediately after a Blender, or we just did a compound benefit, can I do this move without messing up my twists etc)

Whew, this is a tough one... So many different methods between teams, it's hard to apply a "catch all" formula to such things...

Most teams just amass a variety of maneuvers and figure out their own combinations and unwraps.

• Street Flying tips and techniques, per what you have alluded to earlier. How to react when wind drops,fluctuates or gusts and make your Rev flying look good. Maybe incorporating the effects of different line lengths in how they affect the ease and control in this situation?

I'll be doing a combined video on line lengths and wind window, not so much instructional, but definitely informational.

For street flying, it's a bit more abstract... Best I'll be able to do is give a running commentary of what I'm thinking about or working on as I do it.

Another advanced video for the future.

• Some extras maybe towards the end after you have exhausted all your planned ideas..just for entertainment and not really technique focused per se Posted Image - How to fly in the water, a bicycle rotation in the water, dog staking, one handed flying, how to walk the kite etc..you know, the other really fun and not so "serious" aspects of flying a Rev

All of those items are already on the to do list as well. :D

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

John Barresi

#58 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Alright, we've just added FIVE more tutorials to the Kitelife downloads...

If you'd like to be notified any time a new one is added, log into the Kitelife forum and the click this link:

http://kitelife.com/...h=forum&fid=116

New tutorials:

Body, Posture and Grip - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=700
Flic Flac - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=701
Reverse Flight - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=694
Sail Loading - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=702
Side Slide - http://kitelife.com/...ds&showfile=697

Enjoy!

John Barresi

#59 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

New downloads started .... so much for sleeping tonight Posted Image

WRT the indoor/street stuff - how about covering things you can do with your 1.5 and short lines outside when there is not enough wind to fly it normally ... not street/indoors per say, more concepts to work with.

Again, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm happy to look like an idiot asking a dumb question. Ever since I saw Watty's post asking how to fly an indoor on this forum I'm happy to ask anything Posted Image

If you have a local facility that you could rent for an afternoon to shoot indoor tutorial stuff I would be happy to contribute to the rental.

#60 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

New downloads started .... so much for sleeping tonight Posted Image

ROFL! My pleasure. :)

WRT the indoor/street stuff - how about covering things you can do with your 1.5 and short lines outside when there is not enough wind to fly it normally ... not street/indoors per say, more concepts to work with.

Well, the way I see it, short line flying is a combination of various skills, it's not a skill unto itself... Instruction on line tension and positive drive (sail loading), light wind flying, 360s (on the to do list), up and over (on the list), inertia and momentum (on the list), deep slides and floats (on the list), etc, etc, all come together to make street or short line flying.

Once I've laid down the individual skills in tutorials, THEN it's likely that I'll do some connective instruction, showing how I transition between those skills.

Right now, asking for an encompassing video is very much cart before the horse. ;)

Until then, just keep at it, experiment, share your experiences on the forum.

Again, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm happy to look like an idiot asking a dumb question. Ever since I saw Watty's post asking how to fly an indoor on this forum I'm happy to ask anything Posted Image

GOSPEL, absolute gospel... No such thing as a dumb question, we all start somewhere.

If you have a local facility that you could rent for an afternoon to shoot indoor tutorial stuff I would be happy to contribute to the rental.

Hmmmm... Very intriguing idea, hadn't considered that possibility.

John Barresi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users